Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd last pick of the first round of the 2016 draft, 2nd year player, and he is putting up some decent numbers.

Dejounte Murray (DM):
    Regular stats: 8.5ppg, 5.5 apg, 3.2 apg, 41.6 FG%, 50% 3pg, 73.5% FT%.
    Per 100 stats: 19.2 points, 12.3 reb, 7.7 ast, 2.2 stls.
    Advance stats aren't there yet, but 0.4w/s, 0.078 ws/48, -0.5bpm, 0.1 VORP.

Players picked this late in the 1st round aren't expected to be an average player in his 2nd year, but here he is.

Compare this to the second coming, aka 2nd pick in the 2017 draft:
    Lonzo Ball (LB):
    Regular stats: 9.7ppg, 6.8 apg, 7.4 apg, 31.4 FG%, 25% 3pg, 5% FT%.
    Per 100 stats: 13.4 points, 9.5 reb, 10.2 ast, 1.8 stls.
    Advance stats aren't there yet, but 0.1w/s, 0.009 ws/48, 0bpm, 0.2 VORP.

Very comparable numbers overall, it's amazing how the Spurs were able to pull off a player similar to the Magic reincarnate in the late first round.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray does a lot of stat padding in garbahge time to be fair. but he's gonna be good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wait til he fills into those shoulders

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just turned 21 a couple months ago too. If he ever develops a reliable jumper, watch out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray does a lot of stat padding in garbahge time to be fair. but he's gonna be good
    this. ^

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    2nd last pick of the first round of the 2016 draft, 2nd year player, and he is putting up some decent numbers.

Dejounte Murray (DM):
    Regular stats: 8.5ppg, 5.5 apg, 3.2 apg, 41.6 FG%, 50% 3pg, 73.5% FT%.
    Per 100 stats: 19.2 points, 12.3 reb, 7.7 ast, 2.2 stls.
    Advance stats aren't there yet, but 0.4w/s, 0.078 ws/48, -0.5bpm, 0.1 VORP.

Players picked this late in the 1st round aren't expected to be an average player in his 2nd year, but here he is.

Compare this to the second coming, aka 2nd pick in the 2017 draft:
    Lonzo Ball (LB):
    Regular stats: 9.7ppg, 6.8 apg, 7.4 apg, 31.4 FG%, 25% 3pg, 5% FT%.
    Per 100 stats: 13.4 points, 9.5 reb, 10.2 ast, 1.8 stls.
    Advance stats aren't there yet, but 0.1w/s, 0.009 ws/48, 0bpm, 0.2 VORP.

Very comparable numbers overall, it's amazing how the Spurs were able to pull off a player similar to the Magic reincarnate in the late first round.
    Rookie vs 2nd year comparisons ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different situations to be honest.
    Murray plays in a winning team limited minutes because Pop tries lineups and match ups, he was decent in the playoffs.
    Lonzo was the second coming of Christ and so far is a bust, he plays all the minutes and has a horrible shot.

But having these facts we can say Murray is a steal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rookie vs 2nd year comparisons ...
    2nd last pick vs 2nd pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. Outside of this last Bulls game, tell me in which other game has he stat pad on garbage time? Last season Simmons was the king of stat padding on garbage time. He turned into a Kobe level ball-hog when games were decided. He wouldn't let anyone else get some numbers, tbh.

In contrast, Murray has his fare share of very good games against some stiff compe ion considering the fews chances he has got up to here. It comes to mind last season vs Cavs, Nugetts and Rockets in the playoffs and this season vs Wolves and Raptors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. Outside of this last Bulls game, tell me in which other game has he stat pad on garbage time? Last season Simmons was the king of stat padding on garbage time. He turned into a Kobe level ball-hog when games were decided. He wouldn't let anyone else get some numbers, tbh.

In contrast, Murray has his fare share of very good games against some stiff compe ion considering the fews chances he has got up to here. It comes to mind last season vs Cavs, Nugetts and Rockets in the playoffs and this season vs Wolves and Raptors.
    I agree on J.Simms. it bothered me back then bc there were rookies out if the rotation that got no playing time save those opportunities and J.Simms hogged the opportunities even when unlike others he was in the regular rotation. In retrospect it shows he was hungry for a larger featured scoring role and explains at least partly why he wanted to move on.

For Murray he started well and fizzled out once teams figured he cant shoot and wouldn't even attempt jumpshots.

The Boston and Magic games he basically didn't score until the 4 th Q same as that Bulls game. He disappeared against the Bucks, GSW, etc. He had been trending down by the time he got benched tbh. He's going to figure things out once he loses his fear to shoot.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 11-13-2017 at 09:00 AM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Who?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    2nd last pick vs 2nd pick
    a year of weight training with pros alone makes a huge difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a year of weight training with pros alone makes a huge difference.
    Isn’t lavar a professional trainer?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Isn’t lavar a professional trainer?
    lol so You think he is the equal of Gunnar Peterson and Tim Grover?!
    Training 15 year olds to compete in CIF is different than training grown men to deal with Giannis.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Btw i dont disagree murray is intriguing ...but comparing the two is pretty silly for the reasons stated above ...
    Murray should be compared to his draft class and more specifically the one and done PG/SGs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol so You think he is the equal of Gunnar Peterson and Tim Grover?!
    Training 15 year olds to compete in CIF is different than training grown men to deal with Giannis.
    Lavars the best. He just told you like he told you how his boys the best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw i dont disagree murray is intriguing ...but comparing the two is pretty silly for the reasons stated above ...
    Murray should be compared to his draft class and more specifically the one and done PG/SGs
    Are you sure it’s not the one and done PGs drafted number 2 in this years draft? That would be totally apples to apples.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Are you sure it’s not the one and done PGs drafted number 2 in this years draft? That would be totally apples to apples.
    huh?! In the words of my boy DPG ...that doesnt make any sense ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    huh?! In the words of my boy DPG ...that doesnt make any sense ...
    It’s to make fun of you reducing the comparison population to nothing. So it makes perfect sense.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It’s to make fun of you reducing the comparison population to nothing. So it makes perfect sense.
    When you gotta explain the joke ...nevamind.
    ....and how is 2nd year PG and SGs a poulation of nothing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you gotta explain the joke ...nevamind.
    ....and how is 2nd year PG and SGs a poulation of nothing?
    Can’t help if you can’t get it.

And how many one and done guards are there in this years class again? Besides, a 2nd pick putting up numbers of a 29th pick is a bust by any measure.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Can’t help if you can’t get it.

And how many one and done guards are there in this years class again? Besides, a 2nd pick putting up numbers of a 29th pick is a bust by any measure.
    not gonna go back and forth because i agree on the "steal" disagree on the bust ...cuz its to early so we shall just move along. its not like im arguing just wait, Zo is a star ...just that its early and that murray has a year on Lonzo ...btw what were murrays numbers after 13 games last year? That would make sense to compare ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not gonna go back and forth because i agree on the "steal" disagree on the bust ...cuz its to early so we shall just move along. its not like im arguing just wait, Zo is a star ...just that its early and that murray has a year on Lonzo ...btw what were murrays numbers after 13 games last year? That would make sense to compare ...
    You can't really compare bc he'd be in for a minute or two with a garbage time lineup, sometimes with Jsimms hogging the ball.
    He had a few great early games when he played real minutes. I remember at one point he was ranked 2nd in the rookie power rankings right behind Embiid, after cooking Kyrie Irving in a nationally televised game against the Cavs. Of course right after that game, Tony came back from an injury and he was sent down to the gleague and right out of the radar. It's tough being a rook playing for Pop.

He already looks so much better than he did there. He is stronger and defensively he's better as he understands Pop's schemes better than he did last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray won't be 25 for another 4 years, that's a long time for a player who's already getting close to earning some minutes here and there with his upside to develop into a star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean I should compare Lonzo to a guy who played his 13th game of the season when the season was already 30 games old because he logged 17 DNP caochs decision? A guy who had two games with over 10 minutes and 4 games under a minute in that 13 game span? Not a lot of confidence in your saviour.

Thread Information