Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing many players always said about pop is that he treats every player the same... From Tim Duncan down to the last man on the bench... Equal opportunity screaming...

The past several years it's been clear that there are players he will NEVER treat certain ways... He will NEVER yell at Aldridge the way he used to yell at Parker and Duncan when they played bad defense... He will NEVER berate Gasol or bench him indefinitely when Gasol plays like trash doesn't rebound, nor give good effort... patty was literally the worst player on the team by far to start out the season, but he gets the starting job over DJ, and doesn't get benched or yelled at for his bad shots and turnovers... And let's not talk about ginobilis bad shots or turnovers... There have been times this year when he has had multiple bad shots and turnovers in a row that directly led to points on the other end...

But players like Simmons last year, DJ, Kyle, and Bertans would get the old school pop treatment for mistakes that other guys get to make all the time... That causes players to not only play tight and passive when they're in, but they lose respect for pop because of this biased treatment... Whatever happened to the "you don't play defense, you don't play" pop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he treats each player in the way he thinks will help them improve, different breed of player now than what we had in the 90s-00s

LMA isn't going to play better with Pop yelling at him

DG's personality seems to respond better to it

he said it plenty of times after the ring in 14, how special Timmy for being okay with being chewed out

The defense thing died years ago though, that is not new

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he treats each player in the way he thinks will help them improve, different breed of player now than what we had in the 90s-00s

he said it plenty of times after the ring in 14, how special Timmy for being okay with being chewed out

So how does randomly benching players like Simmons, Dedmon, DJ, Kyle and Davis help them especially when pop publicity berates them, but allows some other players to do the same exact things many times over? Or even get moved to the starting lineup? Come on now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So how does randomly benching players like Simmons, Dedmon, DJ, Kyle and Davis help them especially when pop publicity berates them, but allows some other players to do the same exact things many times over? Or even get moved to the starting lineup? Come on now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably changed after watching Sloan fired. Can't survive these days as a disciplinarian. Now for guards, sure, there's enough supply that character should count, but good bigs are rare. Aldridge may be a headache, but he's a valuable headache. Big difference also from coaching up a rookie and getting veterans to sign. Pops always been too nice to vets like Finley and Jefferson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge is giving you 20/10 on 50% shooting. He's playing as well as he ever has as a Spur and you want Pop to "chew" him out?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get this thread....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's benched Pau (and yelled at him plenty of times despite your claims he wouldn't) and he called out LMA in the playoffs last season, which I can't recall him doing to a specific player . He's pulled both if they miss assignments or what not, and Pau saw the bench plenty at times last post season.

Of course some guys get a little more leeway when they've been with the team for so long. But don't pretend Manu/TP didn't have similar short leashes early on. Whether guys are ok with that style of coaching depends on them.

Also, Simmons got waaay more leeway last year than he had previously.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge is giving you 20/10 on 50% shooting. He's playing as well as he ever has as a Spur and you want Pop to "chew" him out?
    Yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's literally never treated all players the same. Only an idiot would do that.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    another garbage tier thread from OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Old boy doesn't have the best of reps around here...
    And it seems like he's not trying to troll, he just sees what he sees and let's it out.

I don't get most of it, but he speaks like he's really trying.

That may be even more disturbing.
    Last edited by tonight...you; 11-16-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: missed the word "have"

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Old boy doesn't have the best of reps around here...
    And it seems like he's not trying to troll, he just sees what he sees and let's it out.

I don't get most of it, but he speaks like he's really trying.

That may be even more disturbing.
    At one time I was in OP's position, desperate to make a name as a decent poster without realizing how ty my takes were. Walk a mile in a brother's shoes, would you?

I think I turned 16 about a week later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4th place in the LOADED West minus the team's MVP candidate, and their point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Complaining for the sake of complaining.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Complaining for the sake of complaining.
    That's giving him too much credit. He's doing it for attention, because it's the only way his trash takes get any.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see boredom. Lots of it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he treats each player in a way they best respond. What I would say is that he is more arrogant and outspoken with the public with a demeanor that isn’t consistent with humility or being “over yourself”

he has let some some of the media praise go to his head imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing many players always said about pop is that he treats every player the same... From Tim Duncan down to the last man on the bench... Equal opportunity screaming...

The past several years it's been clear that there are players he will NEVER treat certain ways... He will NEVER yell at Aldridge the way he used to yell at Parker and Duncan when they played bad defense... He will NEVER berate Gasol or bench him indefinitely when Gasol plays like trash doesn't rebound, nor give good effort... patty was literally the worst player on the team by far to start out the season, but he gets the starting job over DJ, and doesn't get benched or yelled at for his bad shots and turnovers... And let's not talk about ginobilis bad shots or turnovers... There have been times this year when he has had multiple bad shots and turnovers in a row that directly led to points on the other end...

But players like Simmons last year, DJ, Kyle, and Bertans would get the old school pop treatment for mistakes that other guys get to make all the time... That causes players to not only play tight and passive when they're in, but they lose respect for pop because of this biased treatment... Whatever happened to the "you don't play defense, you don't play" pop?
    Huh? Elliott complains about how when DRob would screw up that Pop would yell at him instead because Dave did not react well to ranting. He's never treated all players the same. That is poor people skills.

What he has been known for is being direct and honest about where his players stand and does not sugarcoat it. He still does that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pops a fossil

50 million to a piece of australian hamburger and keeping an old senile guatemalan dog as SG is beyond do level

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA is a star in the league, well established before coming to SA, and he has something the others don't: Options. Pop is a coach and the best at it, but he's also a businessman and knows what he has to bring to the negotiations. You can treat Simmons like a scrub, but you cannot treat LMA like one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh? Elliott complains about how when DRob would screw up that Pop would yell at him instead because Dave did not react well to ranting. He's never treated all players the same. That is poor people skills.

What he has been known for is being direct and honest about where his players stand and does not sugarcoat it. He still does that.
    There you go slamming poor people again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is a Quisling and a hypocrite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He nearly tore Pau's head off for a botched screen in Game 5 against the Rockets last year (and he should have. It blew the last shot attempt and forced an overtime game). I think he does it plenty to all the parties. Not much to yell at LMA so far he's been playing best on the team. He yells at younger guys more, yes, but he's always done that. Probably because they make more mistakes.

Thread Information