Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The beastie boys were great, but they did not lay any blueprint for hip hop you mook.
    I dunno. They merged rock and rap similar to what Run DMC did except going from rock to rap as opposed to the other way and they did it first. They certainly were not the only one but they were early pioneers. Next thing you know it's Public Enemy and Anthrax and then Cypress Hill and Rage Against the Machine.

Licensed to Ill was definitely a trendsetting album as much as Raising was. It also came before.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I dunno. They merged rock and rap similar to what Run DMC did except going from rock to rap as opposed to the other way and they did it first. They certainly were not the only one but they were early pioneers. Next thing you know it's Public Enemy and Anthrax and then Cypress Hill and Rage Against the Machine.

Licensed to Ill was definitely a trendsetting album as much as Raising was. It also came before.
    That doesn't sound right. I remember listening to Raising in summer of 86. And not getting into the Beastie Boys until basketball season.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That doesn't sound right. I remember listening to Raising in summer of 86. And not getting into the Beastie Boys until basketball season.
    Nah you're right they came out the same year within 6 months of each other.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Run DMC ain't in Beasties stratosphere. Never were, honestly

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Run DMC ain't in Beasties stratosphere. Never were, honestly
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "stratosphere". Raising might have been the most influential rap album in terms of crossing over to white America. But had it never come out, Licensed to Ill would have probably had the same effect.

But if you're talking about evolving the genre, you're right, there isn't much comparison. Beastie Boys continued to break ground with Paul's Boutique and even more so on Check Your Head when they played their own instruments.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "stratosphere". Raising might have been the most influential rap album in terms of crossing over to white America. But had it never come out, Licensed to Ill would have probably had the same effect.

But if you're talking about evolving the genre, you're right, there isn't much comparison. Beastie Boys continued to break ground with Paul's Boutique and even more so on Check Your Head when they played their own instruments.
    I don't have a problem with Run DMC. There stuff is okay; I just never really got into it. But it's pretty much studio musicians and sampling and putting generic sounds and beats and them rapping at the same generic 80's pace. The Beasties were much more imaginative and fun in all facets; and they were actually musicians and that made the difference, tbh. I watched an interview with I think it was Mike D, and he was a big-time music collector before he was ever a Beastie, and I think that eclectic background had him open to more ideas and inspirations. Run DMC was da da da -- hook - da da da -- hook. And even then, it was just never that much for me. I'd 've probably thought it'd be cool to see 'em do an NBA halftime show or something; I actually took the time to go to Beasties concerts though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    All of Faith No More's recognizable work is with Mike Patton. Nobody gives a about the original singer that left in the 80s. RIP though.

But we care a lot!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

Oops, I'm late

Thread Information