My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't watch Gordan Giricek matched up against Manu Ginobili, as we saw on occasion Wednesday night, without remembering that the Spurs had two second-round picks in the 1999 draft and used the first of those (No. 40 via trade with Dallas) on Giricek. If they knew then what they know now, obviously, you can safely assume that we wouldn't have seen the Spurs wait until No. 57 to snag Ginobili.

The Spurs' brain trust of coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford, to this day, have the same self-deprecating response whenever someone brings up that draft: "Shows how smart we really are."

Yet Giricek, now a reserve with one of San Antonio's chief rivals, uncorks only smiles when asked about his brief time as Spurs property, even though he never played a minute for them before being dealt to Memphis for a future second-rounder.

"They made a great pick," Giricek said of drafting and ultimately focusing on Ginobili, who, like the Croatian, spent three more seasons playing in Europe before finally coming to the NBA in 2002-03. "I respect Manu a lot.

"But the Spurs saved my career. I can tell you that honestly. I had a knee injury -- jumper's knee -- just like Sean Elliott. And they took care of me and helped me [get healthy]."

The latest twist to the tale is that the Suns are relying on Giricek now after Phoenix initially hoped to give his roster spot to Brent Barry. Seattle dealt Kurt Thomas to San Antonio for Barry on Feb. 20 and promptly waived the 36-year-old, but Barry ultimately chose to go back to the Spurs after considering a move to the Suns. Phoenix then turned to Giricek, who was let go by Philadelphia on Feb. 29 after Utah had used Giricek's expiring contract to acquire Kyle Korver in late December.

Barry, however, has yet to play since re-signing with the Spurs on March 23, still recovering from a torn calf muscle he suffered Jan. 24 at Miami. Giricek is averaging 8.4 points and 19.2 minutes in 19 games with the Suns.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-080412-13

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Nice to see someone acknowledge what the Spurs do for players who never even make their roster. They also paid for that ingrate Javtokas's surgeries and rehab following his horrific motorcycle accident.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    Giri's a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? He just acknowledged the people who took care of him. People can't seem to be contented these days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Javtokas is not ungrateful at all. The Spurs chose Elson and Butler over him. Notice they are both already gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? He just acknowledged the people who took care of him. People can't seem to be contented these days.
    Giricek is playing well. It has worked out better for Phoenix instead of getting Barry. That is why the bitterness.

D.I.R.T.Y. till we die manufor3's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    giricek is a good guy.

THE SPURS' GODFATHER san antonio spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giricek is playing well. It has worked out better for Phoenix instead of getting Barry. That is why the bitterness.
    I believe the guy you're talking about is a jazz fan. Don't confuse things.
    But also I think you need to let your bitterness go. Seriously, it's been 3 years or something.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Javtokas is not ungrateful at all. The Spurs chose Elson and Butler over him. Notice they are both already gone.
    They went to him first, and he wanted the entire MCE. A player who's never played one minute of NBA ball, and who wouldn't even have a Euro career if it weren't for the Spurs fixing his ass up. That's ungrateful in my book. Ginobili settled for two years at the LLE, and he was the Euroleague Final Four MVP. Who the does Javtokas think he is?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They went to him first, and he wanted the entire MCE. A player who's never played one minute of NBA ball, and who wouldn't even have a Euro career if it weren't for the Spurs fixing his ass up. That's ungrateful in my book.
    This is not true- never was and never will be.

Just like all the BS said about Scola and his contract demands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bump - just with all that Manu has done, remember the fighting on line about Giricek vs Manu. The drama back then...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn you have a good memory all I can remember is people saying Manu is going to suck and others saying he was going to be great.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I think that foreign players appreciate about Spurs is that they take care of medical issues of any player they draft. All the surgeries that Jav had the Spurs were helping him out they take care of there people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I think that foreign players appreciate about Spurs is that they take care of medical issues of any player they draft. All the surgeries that Jav had the Spurs were helping him out they take care of there people.
    Yeah, it's too bad some of the DOMESTICALLY drafted players don't appreciate that...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can understand Kawhi hate. Lol

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giricec not as good as Manu but he always gave Manu fits. Very smart player and under rated defender

Thread Information