My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Say what you will about ball hogs and ball stoppers, but Rudy is 20 times the player that Chuckmelo is, tbh...

Been greatly impressed with Gay this season so far, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could use a few more > tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His game will open up more when Kawhi gets back

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Melo went to thunder, I honestly thought “they just got worse”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His game will open up more when Kawhi gets back
    This 10x

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay playing with Kawhi, Paul, Anderson and Murray could be epic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Melo went to thunder, I honestly thought “they just got worse”
    He's a player, like Cousins,Moho I would never take on my team. Talented losers.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a player, like Cousins,Moho I would never take on my team. Talented losers.
    Its what happens when you have dumb non fundamental players as superstars. Blame the fans. They would rather see ppg, dunks and threes than the right play. Best players are not in nba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy's been energetic on defense too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Melo should go down as THE most overrated "superstar" to ever play the game, Rudy Gay has regressed the past 5 games. Not sure if it's fatigue or what, but he's not moving the same as he was at the beginning of the year and its showing.

Past 5 games:

17.8 mpg 7.8 ppg 4 rpg on 43%/17%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, he hasn't been playing well. I am not sure if it's Joffrey coming back into the lineup to play with him or if he's not 100% but his bad games pre-date Joff. His last really good game was against the Bulls and that game itself came on the hills of another bad game from him (and the Bulls got lit up by everybody it must be said). The press said that he had sore back for the Bulls game and was questionable, but he then decided to play. I am not sure if he's gotten banged up or is just sucking.

I mentioned elsewhere that I really didn't like his shot selection lately. He'd force shots at times, even contested jumpshots (has always been kind of his thing too) but then passed up shots that came to him through the offense, specially 3 pt shots. I am not sure what's up. He could be struggling some with the Spurs system. The bench has been underperforming too with him as the centerpiece. Before last game, they were 12th in the league with a pt. differential of +1.3 whereas last year they were 1st in the league with a pt differential of +8.9. Credit to John Schuhmann, NBA.com -
    The Spurs' bench has an aggregate NetRtg (per-possession plus-minus, weighted by minutes played) of just plus-1.3. That ranks 12th in the league, is down from a league-best plus-8.9 last season, and is the worst mark for a San Antonio bench since Tim Duncan's rookie year. Manu Ginobili's effective field goal percentage is a career-low 44 percent and he has the first negative plus-minus of his career. But the Spurs' starting lineup has been strong and LaMarcus Aldridge has continued to carry the load offensively. His effective field goal percentage (57.2 percent) is a career high, with the percentage of his shots coming from the restricted area or 3-point range also a career-high 41 percent. The Spurs are 6-1 when he's scored 25 points or more and Friday's comeback win over the Thunder began a stretch of eight straight games against teams currently .500 or worse.
    In the Mavs game, part of the reason Pop had to play Manu in the 2nd half was that Rudy and bench weren't playing well. Lamarcus ended up having to pour down 32 points and Manu 16 in the 2nd half, partly bc Rudy and bench were sucking and Rudy ended up with a -18 or something and barely played.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 11-21-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, he hasn't been playing well. I am not sure if it's Joffrey coming back into the lineup to play with him or if he's not 100% but his bad games pre-date Joff. His last really good game was against the Bulls and that game itself came on the hills of another bad game from him (and the Bulls got lit up by everybody it must be said). The press said that he had sore back for the Bulls game and was questionable, but he then decided to play. I am not sure if he's gotten banged up or is just sucking.

I mentioned elsewhere that I really didn't like his shot selection lately. He'd force shots at times, even contested jumpshots (has always been kind of his thing too) but then passed up shots that came to him through the offense, specially 3 pt shots. I am not sure what's up. He could be struggling some with the Spurs system. The bench has been underperforming too with him as the centerpiece. Before last game, they were 12th in the league with a pt. differential of +1.3 whereas last year they were 1st in the league with a pt differential of +8.9. Credit to John Schuhmann, NBA.com -
    In the Mavs game, part of the reason Pop had to play Manu in the 2nd half was that Rudy and bench weren't playing well. Lamarcus ended up having to pour down 32 points and Manu 16 in the 2nd half, partly bc Rudy and bench were sucking and Rudy ended up with a -18 or something and barely played.
    One thing I hate with the pt differential stat of the bench is that the bench hardly ever plays together as a unit. Pop staggers and subs in 2 or 3 guys at the 6 minute mark in the 1st and 3rd quarters and subs those guys out at the start or beginning of the 2nd. Pop always leaves 2 or 3 starters with players off the bench. The only time he plays the whole bench together is if the starters piss him off, which is good for maybe 2 or 3 times in the 82 game season or it's when there's a blowout and Pop plays the end of the bench.

Another thing, you can't compare last years stats to this years. There's just waaaay more to it than the Spurs. Such as the compe ion of the league this year, as its not nearly as top heavy as it was the past two seasons. Spurs overall point differential is significantly lower all together, so of course the point differential of the misinterpreted bench point differential will scale down as well.

It's like with Wins/Losses, people will look at last year and say that Spurs team was better because they won 61 games. Or that the 2015/2016 Spurs was one of the best teams Spurs have ever had because they won 67 games. The league being significantly top heavy the last two years had a lot to do with the win total. A 54 win team this year could easily be better than the 61 win team last year or 67 win team the year prior.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree... I'd never want Melo on this team... Not even for fathead

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on my observation of gay and the way he is moving is that in a lot of ways he is like Phoenix Grant Hill, he came back from serious injury with the athletic ability to be an NBA players but it's not where it was pre-injury. There is also an issue of when the schedule is busier or and also just somewhat on a day to day basis there is some soreness and loss of flexibility and explosiveness that varies which can make it fairly hard to trust and gauge your own ability and shot. He is also adjusting to a new role on a new team so, i think he will end up being fine but he should probably at least for this year be minutes limited and miss back to back games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not concerned with Gay or the bench. Former was due for regression to the mean and probably to not be moving the same as he was as the games pile up and he gets used to the grind again. Latter is hurt by fact that 2 of what will ultimately be top 4 subs are starting and what was a slow start by Ginobili (even if he is borderline finished, he wasn't going to continue to shoot as poorly as he had been).

Thread Information