Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody made this graphic in 2009 to show what might happen if Net Neutrality gets axed. We won't be paying 2009 prices I reckon:

pretty naive for people to think that a government bureaucracy will improve the situation. Entrenched big business can still fail if they piss off the customers enough, government control is much more difficult to remove.
    Monopoly power is the goal of capitalism, and such, monopoly power must be restrained and regulated by we the people.
    Last edited by Capt Bringdown; 11-22-2017 at 12:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vander outed himself as a complete moron. Good work, brah.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    ITT, people who don't know what the they're talking about. The problem in this country is lack of compe ion and anti-trust issues, not NN. NN will do nothing to break up these behemoths. Everybody remember the internet before 2015? Me too. Very little of the hyperbolic, fear mongering being pushed now was taking place, and when it did, existing frameworks, courts, and/or consumer pressure defeated it. The reality is that America became the world leader in information technology under the previous framework, spawning endless awesome companies that have made all our lives better. Keeping the internet under outdated, draconian regulations designed for old telecoms will not help. Why the do you think the telephone remained unchanged for 30 odd years? You ing morons are fighting the battles for massive corporations such as Google, Amazon, and Facebook, all of whom dwarf the (admittedly terrible) ISPs in size and revenues, and have just as bad of a track record when it comes to anti-compe ive practices. It's telling that my small ISP, which is awesome btw, is completely against NN and has significantly slowed its expansion of infrastructure since 2015. If NN was really a good thing, almost every tiny/small ISP would wholeheartedly support it. Almost none do, and small businesses are almost always the best indicator of whether regulation is good or bad.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This is the kind of re ed arguments you hear, smh.

Here's a better example: I don't want to pay $30 to Comcast to get the $12 Netflix 'tier'. I'm already paying Comcast for my interwebs, and that includes an artificial speed limit and artificial data cap.

And lmao @ conserva s defense of 'compe ion', when rules like this only serve monopolies, duopolies and entrenched big business.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ITT, people who don't know what the they're talking about. The problem in this country is lack of compe ion and anti-trust issues, not NN. NN will do nothing to break up these behemoths. Everybody remember the internet before 2015? Me too. Very little of the hyperbolic, fear mongering being pushed now was taking place, and when it did, existing frameworks, courts, and/or consumer pressure defeated it. The reality is that America became the world leader in information technology under the previous framework, spawning endless awesome companies that have made all our lives better. Keeping the internet under outdated, draconian regulations designed for old telecoms will not help. Why the do you think the telephone remained unchanged for 30 odd years? You ing morons are fighting the battles for massive corporations such as Google, Amazon, and Facebook, all of whom dwarf the (admittedly terrible) ISPs in size and revenues, and have just as bad of a track record when it comes to anti-compe ive practices. It's telling that my small ISP, which is awesome btw, is completely against NN and has significantly slowed its expansion of infrastructure since 2015. If NN was really a good thing, almost every tiny/small ISP would wholeheartedly support it. Almost none do, and small businesses are almost always the best indicator of whether regulation is good or bad.
    Comcast employee w/stock options doing his copypasta duty.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    That isn't a rebuttal, got. If you wanna get mad, get mad at the parts of the Telecom act of 96' that allowed all these ty ISPs to take one another over. Do you do anything other than virtue signal?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What speeds do you get?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vander outed himself as a complete moron. Good work, brah.
    Maybe he'll use this as a learning opportunity and change for the better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That or a Russian bot..

https://nypost.com/2017/11/22/russia...lity-repealed/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you think that example would actually happen? plenty of people would cancel Netflix and it would hurt both Comcast and Netflix, is Comcast your only choice for an ISP?

pretty naive for people to think that a government bureaucracy will improve the situation. Entrenched big business can still fail if they piss off the customers enough, government control is much more difficult to remove.
    You can't cancel Comcast if they're the only game in town. That's the point. It hurts Netflix, which actually benefits Comcast, coz now they can sell you their movie package.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's another problem, which gets exacerbated by these kind of rulings. Netflix, YouTube, Google, etc are compe ion to the cablecos and they thrived because cableco couldn't shut them down, or piggy back/act as a middle men on them.

These kind of rules stifle compe ion, and give providers the authority to pick winners and losers. It's not the free market or the consumers.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we're still ed guys, I'm sorry but we lost. Any one for this, (without any skin in the game) is an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we're still ed guys, I'm sorry but we lost. Any one for this, (without any skin in the game) is an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nothing we can do, agreed. hopefully they can't do much damage in 2 years, tbh, but we'll see

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nothing we can do, agreed. hopefully they can't do much damage in 2 years, tbh, but we'll see
    This trump regime is literally teflon. They'll do whatever the they want get away with it because their supporters are idiots and "what about hillary"

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That isn't a rebuttal, got. If you wanna get mad, get mad at the parts of the Telecom act of 96' that allowed all these ty ISPs to take one another over. Do you do anything other than virtue signal?
    this post sounds way more sincere than that talking points wall of text, which I’m sure is getting spammed elsewhere.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody made this graphic in 2009 to show what might happen if Net Neutrality gets axed. We won't be paying 2009 prices I reckon:

Monopoly power is the goal of capitalism, and such, monopoly power must be restrained and regulated by we the people.
    , that chart is depressing.

It's like reliving the dial up aol days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not even entirely convinced Trump won't win a second term.. All the young Americans, especially the minority groups who have an opinion on the Presidency are also too lazy to vote unless you gave them an option via their cell phones. Net Neutrality gets wiped away more than likely, but hopefully the ISP's themselves stay put and don't everything up even though they have the option to legally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FCC explains why public support for net neutrality won’t stop repeal --->
    Americans who support net neutrality find that their voices don’t count for much.
    A senior FCC official spoke with reporters about Pai's anti-net neutrality plan in a phone briefing yesterday and explained why the FCC is not swayed by public opinion on net neutrality.

The vast majority of comments consisted of form letters from both pro- and anti-net neutrality groups and generally did not introduce new facts into the record or make serious legal arguments, the official from Pai's office said. In general, the comments stated opinions or made assertions and did not have much bearing on Pai's decision, the official said. The official spoke with reporters on the condition that he not be named and that his comments can be paraphrased but not quoted directly.

The official noted that many of the comments are fraudulent. He said that there were 7.5 million identical comments that came from 45,000 unique names and addresses, apparently due to a scammer who repeatedly submitted the same comment under a series of different names.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Det dictatorship

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's Trump's fault, right? Not so fast, O-bots:

Ajit Pai, the FCC Commissioner leading the charge to rig the internet, was appointed by Obama.
    Wikipedia:

He has served in various positions at the FCC since being appointed to the commission by President Barack Obama in May 2012, at the recommendation of Mitch McConnell. He was confirmed unanimously by the United States Senate on May 7, 2012,[1] and was sworn in on May 14, 2012, for a five-year term.

Before his appointment to the FCC, Pai held positions with the Department of Justice, the United States Senate, the FCC’s Office of General Counsel, and Verizon Communications.
    Another Flexian slithers through the revolving door. Obama no doubt asked McConnell for his very valuable opinion to maintain partisan balance among the FCC commissioners (one of those “norms” liberal Democrats are always yammering about). But actually:

Only three commissioners may be members of the same political party

In other words, Obama could have nominated a pro-Net Neutrality independent, and chose not to. When Trump was elected, he nominated Pai for FCC Chair, and that only happened because four Democrats — remember when Trump used to be a fascist? Good times — went along and helped him out

naked capitalism: Be Thankful for the Internet as You Know It, Because It May Not Exist Much Longer -->

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's Trump's fault, right? Not so fast, O-bots:
    Damn, that's true, isn't it? .

That's one thing that pissed me off about Obama. He took extra steps to get along with republicans. All they did was him over and he still bended more times than not to please them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, that's true, isn't it? .

That's one thing that pissed me off about Obama. He took extra steps to get along with republicans. All they did was him over and he still bended more times than not to please them.
    “There is only one party in the United States, the Property Party … and it has two right wings: Republican and Democrat.”

― Gore Vidal

Thread Information