Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs' Popovich becomes emotional recalling King assassination

ATLANTA – Spurs coach Gregg Popovich became emotional Monday as he recalled where he was on April 4, 1968 when he learned the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. had been assassinated in Memphis, Tenn.

"I can remember sitting in a room with other second classmen - juniors, I should say - (at the Air Force Academy), and it was just disbelief more than anything, especially given the speech he had already given," Popovich said.

As he continued, Popovich did so in a halting voice.

"It was a silence, just silence. Nobody could speak," he said. "That's what I remember most."

Speaking to reporters before the Spurs' game with the Hawks on Martin Luther King Day in the civil rights icon's hometown, Popovich said he thought King would be a "very, very sad man" if he were alive today "to see that a lot of his efforts have been held up and torn down."

"It doesn't matter if you look at the voting rights act or the ridiculous number of people of color who are incarcerated," Popovich said. "And you can go on and on. We all know it's gotten to the point where it is almost boring for people to listen to it. But it's insidious and it's still our national sin that we have to work on. And every time I hear somebody say they are not a racist, you know they are."

Without mentioning President Donald Trump's name, Popovich made it clear he was referring to the Republican chief executive.

Trump told reporters on Sunday in West Palm Beach, Fla., that "I am not a racist" and denied reports he had referred to Haiti and African nations as " hole countries."

Asked if he is a racist, Trump said: "No, I'm not a racist. I am the least racist person you have ever interviewed."

"You can argue all day and you can see some of his sycophants dodge and weave and all that sort of thing, and you can argue he is or isn't," Popovich said in a clear reference to Trump's comments.

"But what really is disgusting to me, is even if you wanted to say he is not a racist, or even as he says he is the least racist of anybody... he is certainly willing to wield race like weapon and use it for his own purposes, whether it's Charlottesville or the comment he just made, or 'You can't believe what they are finding in Hawaii about Obama's birth certificate.'

"...No matter what it is, he is willing to use it as a weapon for a certain number of people who will vote for him, for his own selfish reasons and it shows what he really cares about is himself. It has nothing to do with America or anybody else. It's about puffing himself up and making sure in his own disingenuous, cynical way he satisfies a group, and that's what I find really dangerous and really disgusting, the way he uses his comments and then will tell you he is not a racist.

"It is mind boggling, but it's pretty obvious. He's not fooling anybody."
    ting all over Trump AGAIN in the most brutal fashion

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's about to be 20 trump supporters (with 4 combined teeth) in this sum , but daaaaaamn Cuckald has not and will not call out Pop. He'd get the corn silk slapped off his head

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop needs to worry more about winning games. He should have just stared at the reported and walked away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop needs to worry more about winning games. He should have just stared at the reported and walked away.
    Should pull a Cuckald and never take questions from the press tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's about to be 20 trump supporters (with 4 combined teeth) in this sum , but daaaaaamn Cuckald has not and will not call out Pop. He'd get the corn silk slapped off his head
    One of the many reasons to why I wanted to see the Spurs win the le last year. It would have been comedic to hear Pop trash Trump and a white house visit and hear Trump's response.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the many reasons to why I wanted to see the Spurs win the le last year. It would have been comedic to hear Pop trash Trump and a white house visit and hear Trump's response.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's MLK day.

Anyway, this season I love Pop more as person and as a free-thinker individual than a coach. Which would be all great if I weren't a basketball fan.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard somewhere that black unemployment was pretty low right now, unlike when the totally-not-racist Obama was President

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be more proud of Pop if he could actually beat a lower tier team on the road. Ever since he started trolling Trump (whom I could not dislike more), he has been failing. Wish he would win some games and stop jinxing us or at least showing us he is more interested in politics than coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Bonner

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another loss tonight against a lottery team for failing spurs head coach Popovich. Sad!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smh focus on basketball and stfu about politics already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's MLK day.

Anyway, this season I love Pop more as person and as a free-thinker individual than a coach. Which would be all great if I weren't a basketball fan.
    Unfortunately, he's spending too much time free thinking and not doing his job. Which has made him wealthy and given him the luxury to do and say whatever he wants.
    He seems like a good guy. But it's time to find someone who can coach and make solid managerial decisions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has to learn you can't out troll Trump. He's the master of this crap. Just look at all the more qualified candidates he passed in the primary and in the general election because he out trolled them. Pop is so fixated on Trump that he can't even come up with a game plan to beat a team that has already given up on this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump making all these snowflakes cry

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has to learn you can't out troll Trump. He's the master of this crap. Just look at all the more qualified candidates he passed in the primary and in the general election because he out trolled them. Pop is so fixated on Trump that he can't even come up with a game plan to beat a team that has already given up on this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop dropping truth bombs left and right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately, he's spending too much time free thinking and not doing his job. Which has made him wealthy and given him the luxury to do and say whatever he wants.
    He seems like a good guy. But it's time to find someone who can coach and make solid managerial decisions.
    everyone has opinions outside of their job

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All these got burger flippers should stick to their jobs and not voice their opinions. Oh wait it don't work that way for you land whales

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The man's entire career has been built on the backs of blacks, you don't think he's going to have their back? lol they voted like 98% against Trump

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As someone who voted for every GOP candidate for president since being allowed to vote until this election (though I crossed out Palin’s name when voting for McCain), I am so glad I avoided voting for this autistic orange daddy’s boy. Wouldn’t be able to forgive myself.

The only good thing that could have come out of Trump was a tax cut, which ended up bending those of us in states with high state taxes over ... yes it’s partly our fault.

The saving grace here is this teaches us the system of checks and balances is real and one person can only cause so much harm.

Also, CNN and what Trump calls the fake news media needs to realize the boy who cried wolf syndrome is taking hold. People’s attention span is weak and if you complain about everything he does, people will start ignoring it. And the average Joe has completely tuned out to the Russia probe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only good thing that could have come out of Trump was a tax cut, which ended up bending those of us in states with high state taxes over ... yes it’s partly our fault.
    to be fair, state income taxes kinda suck. and the fact that you can write them off on your fed returns means the federal government is essentially subsidizing those states. why should the federal government subsidize new york and CA just because they decided to levy an additional income tax on their residents? and this coming from a CA resident

that said, the fact that the GOP tax law specifically targeted those states (blue states) just reeks of pettiness and political targeting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ting all over Trump AGAIN in the most brutal fashion

Ditto! We have taken a step in the wrong direction and it’s going to take people standing up against this transparent race- baiting Do Trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, CNN and what Trump calls the fake news media needs to realize the boy who cried wolf syndrome is taking hold. People’s attention span is weak and if you complain about everything he does, people will start ignoring it. And the average Joe has completely tuned out to the Russia probe.
    And what is average Joe supposed to do with the news that Russia hacked our election with Trump?? Especially since they have provided zero evidence?

That propaganda was just a method to quell any dissent on the planned soft coup of Trump. Thats all. If US had really been hacked the intelligence agncies would have actually been quiet about it due to embarrassment and would have returned the favor in secrecy.

They miscalculated the fact that Trump is a pretty darn smart guy, relatively clean billionaire and that Trump fans are not going to abandon him no matter what. Total miscalculation on their part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As someone who voted for every GOP candidate for president since being allowed to vote until this election (though I crossed out Palin’s name when voting for McCain), I am so glad I avoided voting for this autistic orange daddy’s boy. Wouldn’t be able to forgive myself.

The saving grace here is this teaches us the system of checks and balances is real and one person can only cause so much harm.

Great post!

Thread Information