NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My fitness goal is to reduce my blood pressure.

I'm actually in really good shape (6'1, 180lbs) and do pretty intense cardiovascular workouts three to four times per week. But I just got my blood pressure score for the first time in five years and I'm in the freaking hypertensive range. I don't overeat, but there's plenty bad food that I eat, so my diet is going to change, drastically. That's the goal for 2018: reduce the blood pressure to healthy range with the primary strategy being diet change.
    Did you get bloodwork done? You can have primary hypertension (genetic) or secondary hypertension (caused by something else). In either case as a 6'1, 180lb, active person it's probably not something that just cleaning up your diet will fix because you shouldn't be hypertensive.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^^^
    I don't overeat, but there's plenty bad food that I eat, so my diet is going to change, drastically. That's the goal for 2018: reduce the blood pressure to healthy range with the primary strategy being diet c^^hange.
    FWIW I drastically lowered mine in only 4 months in 2017.
    Manufactured chit generally has so much sodium in it.
    No doubt you can lower yours by diet. Unless you have some uncommon genetic.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Did you get bloodwork done? You can have primary hypertension (genetic) or secondary hypertension (caused by something else). In either case as a 6'1, 180lb, active person it's probably not something that just cleaning up your diet will fix because you shouldn't be hypertensive.
    Agree here.
    To the Doc.

I work out very hard maybe miss a day in a week. Eat well, run in road races, swim, bike, do sprint triathlons but could not lower cholesterol. A tail of a statin and Zetia and I'm really good. Lots of HDL, low LDL, low overall. Complete change. The doc eyeballed my serum and said it was crystal clear. Just started this. But it's now a lifelong deal. My first pills. I have a friend who does somewhat the same (on a tough but lesser scale) but with high BP. He is on medication. It works. You need to at least find out. It's actually sort of a downer because I thought I was fairly invincible due to really good conditioning, I was wrong. Doc also said I could be a little more flexible with the diet. Just keep the fiber up per usual. Colon cancer is a big killer.

Name
    Frank Dux
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^^^

FWIW I drastically lowered mine in only 4 months in 2017.
    Manufactured chit generally has so much sodium in it.
    No doubt you can lower yours by diet. Unless you have some uncommon genetic.
    Yeah, I want to reduce my salt. I've already increased my vegetables/fruits/grains while really pulling back on the dairy and meat. Hoping it helps.

Name
    Frank Dux
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I just got a physical for a life insurance. They did my blood pressure three times and it was high each time. They also took my blood and I haven't seen the results of that yet. But I'm definitely going to get an appointment with the doc. A scary number of men in my family die young from strokes and heart attacks. Hoping it's not the genetics but just that we all eat the same (tacos, bbq, etc). I guess I'll find out.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's actually sort of a downer because I thought I was fairly invincible due to really good conditioning, I was wrong.
    A lot of people confuse physical fitness with health but it's just one component of good health along with things like diet and genetics. Genetics is king component, meaning it can over rule everything else. Most recent research is showing an individuals microbiome might be as important as genetics in determining overall health but it's still not well understood, very complex system.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    A lot of people confuse physical fitness with health but it's just one component of good health along with things like diet and genetics. Genetics is king component, meaning it can over rule everything else. Most recent research is showing an individuals microbiome might be as important as genetics in determining overall health but it's still not well understood, very complex system.
    Absolutely.^

The micro biome of the intestines is very critical. For healthy skin, you gotta have the right "floral" balance.
    Biology is extraordinarily difficult because all of the variables.

NPR on Fridays at 2 can lead you (us) to some fantastic stuff. That is an incredibly good program. If Ira Flato goes down because of some diddling with the female staff it will kill me before anything else.

Genetics and cellular biology is just absolutely exploding.

And even more importantly to your point, you gotta have a feel for how we work because in today's health care it is in bent upon the patient to be proactive.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I just got a physical for a life insurance. They did my blood pressure three times and it was high each time. They also took my blood and I haven't seen the results of that yet. But I'm definitely going to get an appointment with the doc. A scary number of men in my family die young from strokes and heart attacks. Hoping it's not the genetics but just that we all eat the same (tacos, bbq, etc). I guess I'll find out.
    Good luck.

And the genetics part really is luck. I gotta big slap in the face.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah go get checked by a doc after you get your results from the insurance company. You could also swing by cvs/walgreens/heb clinics and just ask them to check your BP. Could have been something as simple as miscalibrated pressure gauge/monitor, too small a cuff will give false high readings, etc.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, I want to reduce my salt. I've already increased my vegetables/fruits/grains while really pulling back on the dairy and meat. Hoping it helps.
    Great start. And I'm sure you'll be a label reader. Even good foods like canned black beans have both a regular variety and Low Sodium variety. Seems like the health people are in unison that sodium is bad for BP.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good fats.

Anyone aware of findings that proper amounts of GOOD fats can help one LOSE weight. (Along with diet and exercise of course).

Avacado, cold pressed pure coconut oil, etc.

Good chiro told me not enough of the good fats, especially in men can and will cause lack of testosterone among other baddies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Good fats.

Anyone aware of findings that proper amounts of GOOD fats can help one LOSE weight. (Along with diet and exercise of course).

Avacado, cold pressed pure coconut oil, etc.

Good chiro told me not enough of the good fats, especially in men can and will cause lack of testosterone among other baddies.
    Good fats have just as many calories per gram as bad fats. Both have long hydrocarbon chains "tails" that are energy rich. It's the arrangement of the hydrocarbon tails that can make them "sticky" which is, overall, not a good thing. It also appears that taking in refined carbohydrates (sugars) with them has an interplay biochemically into how they are processed. The aforementioned is fairly up to date. But this will change with new research that is very frustrating for some people as the press tend to pick and choose which studies to accentuate.

Summary: fats are great at making you fat. But they can also be important in suppressing hunger for processed sugar intake. Which is very easy to overdo, and will also make you fat if you store too much of it. (Even with a little more than 1/2 the energy per gram, sugar will be stored as glycogen first and if those stores are full, fat.) In many food rich country peeps don't excercise enough to lower glycogen stores, so the carbs "become" fat. Basically.

In would not trust most chiros talking Biochem.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Summary: fats are great at making you fat. But they can also be important in suppressing hunger for processed sugar intake. Which is very easy to overdo, and will also make you fat if you store too much of it. (Even with a little more than 1/2 the energy per gram, sugar will be stored as glycogen first and if those stores are full, fat.) In many food rich country peeps don't excercise enough to lower glycogen stores, so the carbs "become" fat. Basically.
    So therefore proper fats can help a person lose weight.
    If eating the proper fats helps kill the desirefor processed sugan and/or to down a bag of Doritos, then viola.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So therefore proper fats can help a person lose weight.
    If eating the proper fats helps kill the desirefor processed sugan and/or to down a bag of Doritos, then viola.
    For most people.
    Another part of the problem, we process stuff differently. Nordic folks and American Indians evolved very different diets. Hispanics have a lot of trouble with the sugar fat combo. Others, not so much. It's biochemical, which is why I would advocate for panels (chemistry tests) which tell people what they are allergic to, what drugs for anesthesia would be an addictive problem, and what kind of diet is best for an individual. This is on the way, but not nearly fast enough. We are not all exactly the same.

Stay safe:

High fiber
    Protein
    Good fat

cut the processed sugar and junk carbs (White bread....) Some people can handle it just fine, like my wife, which pisses me off but....

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Easiest way to get healthy fats and suppress sugar/carb cravings is to eat plenty of avocados.

8 Reasons Avocado is a Perfect Weight Loss Food
    http://www.eatthis.com/8-reasons-avo...ght-loss-food/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Easiest way to stop drinking Big Red? (corn syrup in general)

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Easiest way to stop drinking Big Red? (corn syrup in general)
    cutting soda out of my regular diet is one of the best decisions i've made... though can't help with a specific method. sorta just made the conscious decision to grab a bottle of water every time i would otherwise be taking a can of soda

also, as an aside...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    cutting soda out of my regular diet is one of the best decisions i've made... though can't help with a specific method. sorta just made the conscious decision to grab a bottle of water every time i would otherwise be taking a can of soda

also, as an aside...

I drink lots of water but still have a problem with sodas. I have been to Michigan where they call it "pop". They put more of a twang on it though, so it sounds more like "paaaaap"

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    ^They don't sell those here. I would need to get them shipped from San Antonio.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Easiest way to get healthy fats and suppress sugar/carb cravings is to eat plenty of avocados.

Lol avocado. total gy hipster food. Grow a asap

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Guacomole....

Food of the Gods.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

As a part of a whole program, avo's are working for me and do indeed suppress junk carb and junk sugar cravings.
    Also slobber some cold pressed coconut oil on 88% cocoa chocolate bars.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damn straight.
    Throw in some Marb Hards on the regular and you'll be grown up like this:

Thread Information