Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching Murray play a lot of minutes against OKC gave him an opportunity to display his game, flaws and all. He reminds me of a quote I heard Sir Charles Barkley say about young athletes with no particular skill sets, "

"They run like deer, jump like deer and think like deer. But if you notice, not many deer play in the NBA for long" Charles Barkley.

Once when Murray was bringing the ball up the court, he looked like an impala, bounding way up in the air several feet off the ground and carrying his dribble up as high as his head. I remembered Barkley's quote and thought, "What the is he doing way up there and what will he do with the ball." What was he thinking? But it was illustrative of something I've been commenting on since the first day we got a look at him. He dribbles the ball really really high, liking to take off on a drive with the ball up near his shoulder. The problem with that in the NBA is that guys are simply stripping him or stealing the ball a lot. Or he loses control once he gets into the paint with bodies all around trying to get that ball from him. You never saw Parker with that trouble. It was amazing how Tony could slither in among all those bigs and still get a shot off.

Most of his points come off those drives and he hasn't really developed his outside shooting. He sometimes still shoots from outside with that funny motion that gives a sideways rotation to the ball. Can't stick in this league with that form. One airball three from the end of the game was horribly off target with no excuse of anyone being near him to affect his shot. Calling Chip!

PGs really need to pass to the open man in the short corner 3 spot at the end of close games. Tried to hero ball it with a drive a time or two into crowds without noticing his team mates. Granted it takes a while, but he still thinks of himself as the prime shooter when he is in the game. He hasn't earned that yet IMO>

SO THE QUESTION IS THIS : MURRAY SHOWS FLASHES OF ATHLETICISM LIKE A DEER, BUT IS MURRAY THE PG FOR THE FUTURE?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, dumb question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems obvious to me that he focused on putting on muscle, improving his defense, and rebounding. He needs work on his shot and understanding of the offense but PG is the most complicated position to learn in the NBA. He has made noticeable improvements.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DM has a TON of upside. Just him rebounding from the PG position is a CRAZY plus. I'm not even talking about everything else. Rebounding wins playoff games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great diagnosis

Right now he isn't even at jack off all trades; master of none stage..All you see is the flashes but nothing methodical and fundamentally sound..

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big noticeable difference when Kawhi was young, was his athleticism and rebounding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. He needs to develop an outside shot at some point though. Doesn’t need to be a knockdown shooter, just competent enough that defenses can’t leave him open or sag off a bunch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great diagnosis

Right now he isn't even at jack off all trades; master of none stage..All you see is the flashes but nothing methodical and fundamentally sound..
    Yeah. I think he's had enough time to be able to call it what it is. He's not going to be any kind of superstar and probably not even someone who ever sniffs an All Star game. He's a decent athlete that give good effort and can play at an NBA level.
    But he's nothing special.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Second best guard on the team after HOTS, imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a process. Spurs are relatively patient with young players they like and it takes a lot of work and a real struggle to continue to improve poor areas. Pop said he’s coachable and works really hard so all we can do is wait.

He’s a deer with an active motor and aggressive mentality, that’s already very disruptive defensively. It’s going to be between the ears for him at this point. Playing more intelligently, making good decisions, outsmarting your opponent too. How disruptive he can be on defense is a great starting spot. But obviously that can’t be it. We want him to be better than that so it’s going to take time.

There are indeed many deer who never quite put it together so giving them some time is the only way to see if they make a leap of don’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wouldn't use the analogy of a deer caught in the headlights for murray because that suggests fear and that is a quality that murray does not have. i would, instead, suggest that he is more like a yearling in that he just seems clumsy sometimes and lacking in "corporate knowledge", all fixable traits.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJM flaws need a lot of work
    My flaws are perfect.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wouldn't use the analogy of a deer caught in the headlights for murray because that suggests fear and that is a quality that murray does not have. i would, instead, suggest that he is more like a yearling in that he just seems clumsy sometimes and lacking in "corporate knowledge", all fixable traits.
    Very true.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could also go on and on all the plus sides to his game. But ya not smart enough for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Delonte Murray is a deer what does that make Patty?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Triple Crown Winner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A deerburger?

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some kind of fat marsupial.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A blobfish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some kind of fat marsupial.
    Drop Bear

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A manatee?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching Murray play a lot of minutes against OKC gave him an opportunity to display his game, flaws and all. He reminds me of a quote I heard Sir Charles Barkley say about young athletes with no particular skill sets, "

"They run like deer, jump like deer and think like deer. But if you notice, not many deer play in the NBA for long" Charles Barkley.

Once when Murray was bringing the ball up the court, he looked like an impala, bounding way up in the air several feet off the ground and carrying his dribble up as high as his head. I remembered Barkley's quote and thought, "What the is he doing way up there and what will he do with the ball." What was he thinking? But it was illustrative of something I've been commenting on since the first day we got a look at him. He dribbles the ball really really high, liking to take off on a drive with the ball up near his shoulder. The problem with that in the NBA is that guys are simply stripping him or stealing the ball a lot. Or he loses control once he gets into the paint with bodies all around trying to get that ball from him. You never saw Parker with that trouble. It was amazing how Tony could slither in among all those bigs and still get a shot off.

Most of his points come off those drives and he hasn't really developed his outside shooting. He sometimes still shoots from outside with that funny motion that gives a sideways rotation to the ball. Can't stick in this league with that form. One airball three from the end of the game was horribly off target with no excuse of anyone being near him to affect his shot. Calling Chip!

PGs really need to pass to the open man in the short corner 3 spot at the end of close games. Tried to hero ball it with a drive a time or two into crowds without noticing his team mates. Granted it takes a while, but he still thinks of himself as the prime shooter when he is in the game. He hasn't earned that yet IMO>

SO THE QUESTION IS THIS : MURRAY SHOWS FLASHES OF ATHLETICISM LIKE A DEER, BUT IS MURRAY THE PG FOR THE FUTURE?
    Considering the nba, sadly, he will be good in this league. If you think he will be a good basketball player no. He cant dribble, pass, or shoot yet he got a d1 ride.... dumbest player i have ever watched for sa. Been watching regularly circa 1980

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too big. Patty is tiny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DM has a TON of upside. Just him rebounding from the PG position is a CRAZY plus. I'm not even talking about everything else. Rebounding wins playoff games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only got to see the first half before I had to go to work and was surprised he wound up with that stat line and a solid plus-minus.

His lack of shooting is an issue but one that obviously isn't going to get better over night. I think, in time, he could be a solid catch and shoot player which opens up his drive game. Defensively he's largely been pretty good and his rebounding is obviously a plus.

For a 29th pick, I really like his upside and don't think its far fetched that he could end up being a starting caliber PG by year 4.

Thread Information