Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gone like a thief in the night or will Kawhi's touches go down to keep LMA happy? How would this work exactly? Will LMA get most touches in the first 3 quarters and then Kawhi takes over in the 4th? Will the spacing change compared to the past couple seasons with them on the floor at the same time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's taking only 2.5 shots per game more than he did last season. It won't be a problem and the spacing will be even better with Kawhi in place of Kyle/Rudy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marsha will go on an epic Ma Touches ladden tirade on ESPN tbqh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge's success on this start of the season has more to do with the effort he's putting on getting good position down low than with the number of touches he's getting. If he keeps up the effort he will remain being effective, although he has already started sucking on these last two games.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He might understand it was on him all along and continue working hard to win; get even better with Kawhi's help.

Or he might get depressed, eat 8 pints of Ben & Jerrys, get fat, complain to the media, fail posting up 6'4" guys, and it's last year all over again.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamarsha ain't do in the playoffs ever. Kawhiachel is our best option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's taking only 2.5 shots per game more than he did last season. It won't be a problem and the spacing will be even better with Kawhi in place of Kyle/Rudy.
    But remember, touches aren't simply getting shots off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on Pop actually coaching the offense again rather than it being Isopia

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on Pop actually coaching the offense again rather than it being Isopia
    Meh, Kawhi does most of his damage within the flow of the offense. Attacking seams and taking advantage of missmatch. The only times he goes iso is when Pop calls for them, tbh.

Aldridge needs to play hard and smart enough to learn how to take advantage of the ball movement too.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was winning with whatever strategy he was using last year. Everyone is just a ing re .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, Kawhi does most of his damage within the flow of the offense.
    That's only true if you believe the offense is him isoing. But itself, Kawhiso isn't bad. But the team never did any movement before he got the ball (or if they did, it was all for show), and he didn't come up with a plan for what to do after.

Aldridge needs to play hard and smart enough to learn how to take advantage of the ball movement too.
    You're gonna have to get used to him shooting nothing but jumpers. I think those inside moves are gone as soon as Leonard is ready for his old role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really about the amount of touches LMA gets, it's where he gets ball and when in the shotclock

LMA gets his groove going in iso and halfcourt, TP is running the motion or looking to score in pnr. Might be more about the pg than Kawhi in how LMA gets going

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's only true if you believe the offense is him isoing. But itself, Kawhiso isn't bad. But the team never did any movement before he got the ball (or if they did, it was all for show), and he didn't come up with a plan for what to do after.

You're gonna have to get used to him shooting nothing but jumpers. I think those inside moves are gone as soon as Leonard is ready for his old role.
    I don't know what you are talking about but last season Kawhi had a 12.6 % frequency of isolation, which translates to 2.9 isolations per game. That % is less than guys like Austion River, Jahill Okafor, Alonzo Gee, Traevon Graham, Jordan McRae, Pierre Jackson and lot of other no-name players, besides all the big-time superstars you can think of (some of those big-name players have Kawhi beat by more than 10%). So yeah, I don't know where this idea that Kawhi is an iso machine comes from.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what you are talking about but last season Kawhi had a 12.6 % frequency of isolation, which translates to 2.9 isolations per game. That % is less than guys like Austion River, Jahill Okafor, Alonzo Gee, Traevon Graham, Jordan McRae, Pierre Jackson and lot of other no-name players, besides all the big-time superstars you can think of some of those big-name players have Kawhi beat by more than 10%). So yeah, I don't know where this idea that Kawhi is an iso machine comes from.
    He keeps saying that without any proof.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what you are talking about but last season Kawhi had a 12.6 % frequency of isolation, which translates to 2.9 isolations per game. That % is less than guys like Austion River, Jahill Okafor, Alonzo Gee, Traevon Graham, Jordan McRae, Pierre Jackson and lot of other no-name players, besides all the big-time superstars you can think of some of those big-name players have Kawhi beat by more than 10%). So yeah, I don't know where this idea that Kawhi is an iso machine comes from.
    I was thinking the same, I don't remember him being crazy iso oriented. I know some games maybe it became reliant on him, but he does seem to score in a mul ude of ways, and within the flow of the offense.

Even some of his big games, a good amount of his points seemed to be assisted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook probably has a problem differentiating iso plays from spot ups where Kawhi gets the ball and attacks his defender with a couple of quick, purposeful dribbles, tbh.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    chu got is kawhi's number one hater.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    chu got thought dedman was a better defender than kawhi.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably thinks green is too. What a got.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge's success on this start of the season has more to do with the effort he's putting on getting good position down low than with the number of touches he's getting. If he keeps up the effort he will remain being effective, although he has already started sucking on these last two games.
    I noticed this as well... it appears that when he runs the pick with Parker - Tony and Aldridge BOTH naturally gravitate towards a pick and pop set instead of pick and roll. Aldridge was being effective early on because he was involved in appreciably more pick and roll opportunities versus last year.

Hopefully the coaching staff corrects the trend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what you are talking about but last season Kawhi had a 12.6 % frequency of isolation, which translates to 2.9 isolations per game. That % is less than guys like Austion River, Jahill Okafor, Alonzo Gee, Traevon Graham, Jordan McRae, Pierre Jackson and lot of other no-name players, besides all the big-time superstars you can think of (some of those big-name players have Kawhi beat by more than 10%). So yeah, I don't know where this idea that Kawhi is an iso machine comes from.
    Bruh, you're the king of just tossing out numbers and hoping they make the argument for you. What NBA.com considers to fall into the "isolation" category and what we're talking about are different things. Those isos are things like end-of-clock scenarios or what guys on the perimeter might do if they have a mismatch. So most post-ups (especially most of the one's Kawhi got) are iso plays. And while they aren't completely one-on-one, plays were a guy waits for a screen then almost immediately shoots a long jumper. I've posted this video before, but this is what happened to the Spurs most renown set, the Zipper Series ("The Loop") after Kawhi's ascension:

It's ugly. Except for that one example of Pop running a hammer play out of it, it was either a Kawhi jumper or a PnP. Sure, in this current offense, everyone can hit threes. But last year, it was really dumb to do that so much with guys like Lee and Dedmon setting the screen. Kawhi got really great PnR splits out of it, but it didn't help the offense as a whole outside of what you'd expect two points to do.

So it doesn't matter that only 1/8 of Kawhi's shots went into the miscellaneous iso category. Kawhiso as a general offensive result went much deeper than that. And while there are certainly players who iso'd more, that doesn't mean the offense the Spurs had was fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I noticed this as well... it appears that when he runs the pick with Parker - Tony and Aldridge BOTH naturally gravitate towards a pick and pop set instead of pick and roll. Aldridge was being effective early on because he was involved in appreciably more pick and roll opportunities versus last year.

Hopefully the coaching staff corrects the trend.
    Softies gonna soft... When you are in a heated playoff game and are taking fadeaways in the post VS a James harden in foul trouble, YOU are the problem....NOT Pop or Kawhi... MAN up!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruh, you're the king of just tossing out numbers and hoping they make the argument for you. What NBA.com considers to fall into the "isolation" category and what we're talking about are different things. Those isos are things like end-of-clock scenarios or what guys on the perimeter might do if they have a mismatch. So most post-ups (especially most of the one's Kawhi got) are iso plays. And while they aren't completely one-on-one, plays were a guy waits for a screen then almost immediately shoots a long jumper. I've posted this video before, but this is what happened to the Spurs most renown set, the Zipper Series ("The Loop") after Kawhi's ascension:

It's ugly. Except for that one example of Pop running a hammer play out of it, it was either a Kawhi jumper or a PnP. Sure, in this current offense, everyone can hit threes. But last year, it was really dumb to do that so much with guys like Lee and Dedmon setting the screen. Kawhi got really great PnR splits out of it, but it didn't help the offense as a whole outside of what you'd expect two points to do.

So it doesn't matter that only 1/8 of Kawhi's shots went into the miscellaneous iso category. Kawhiso as a general offensive result went much deeper than that. And while there are certainly players who iso'd more, that doesn't mean the offense the Spurs had was fine.
    You do realize that if you want to increase the numbers of isos for Kawhi to fit your personal standards, then the numbers of all the other players would increase too and Kawhi would still be one of the superstars in the league that isos the less, right?

And seeing how the Spurs' offense last season was ranked 6th, I would say that yeah, that means that "the offense the Spurs had was fine".

Also, seeing how the Spurs rank this season as a below average offense I would say that they are desperately needing Kawhi and his "isos" back, tbh.

But nice attempt trying to save face after I caught you talking out of your ass again. Next time try checking the stats before saying something you think it's true, so I don't have to come and correct you, tbh.
    Last edited by DAF86; 12-07-2017 at 04:04 PM.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook probably has a problem differentiating iso plays from spot ups where Kawhi gets the ball and attacks his defender with a couple of quick, purposeful dribbles, tbh.
    A lot of plays defined in NBA.com as pnr ballhandler (of which Kawhi did a lot of last year) ended up with him on a mismatch and him "isoing" on that mismatch... the play starts as a PnR though. I don't know how that fits this discussion, but it's just an observation.

Thread Information