Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see a point of paying three combo-forwards legit money. It's one of the easiest positions to find in the league. I think those first three contracts are pretty spot on, and Tony at the min could slot in with those numbers at that point its...

Parker, Mills, Murray
    Green, Manu, White
    Leonard, Anderson,
    Aldridge, Gay
    Gasol

Four spots and like $5-7 Million to fill them. The pick will be one and take up like $2 Million. Then it's finding another center and a wing. Paul being back would take a spot and like a million and a half. Same with Joff. That would leave them with less than $2 Million under the tax to sign a final player. Don't really see either Forbes or Bertans back for that, and they don't seem worth going into the tax to retain.
    Forbes is a better option than Patty moving forward. Trade Patty and free up $ and roles.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will ring, manu possibly pau will retire

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not going to do priorities yet bc season is early but it's nice to keep track of good performances.

Bryn deserves to get re-upped.

I don't care about the glut of guards or whatever ... sign that man.

Davis missed a bunch of shots tonight but it was one of his best defensive games that I have ever seen. He was really active.

Rudy scored efficiently but also had 4 TO, some unforced and some questionable or bad defense. He's a mixed bag right now.
    Rudy had an off game. It happens. As for the defense, this is his first year with a defense-first team while coming off of an achilles injury, so I don't worry about his defense all that much. I say keep him if possible because he makes the bench stronger and brings much needed versatility.

Regardless, Patty has to go. That's all I care about above all else...I won't hold my breath though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is a better option than Patty moving forward. Trade Patty and free up $ and roles.
    In the same way that the Spurs wouldn't let Mills walk just to give Murray more minutes, they aren't likely to move Patty to give Forbes money. Patty very clearly seems to be a top leader in the locker room, and that will probably only be more so as Manu and Tony get ready to retire. No Spurs fan in their right mind should argue that chemistry isn't important.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The chemistry isn't going to magically go down the drain with Patty gone. Yeah - it probably won't happen - but, if it did, the sky wouldn't fall.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the same way that the Spurs wouldn't let Mills walk just to give Murray more minutes, they aren't likely to move Patty to give Forbes money. Patty very clearly seems to be a top leader in the locker room, and that will probably only be more so as Manu and Tony get ready to retire. No Spurs fan in their right mind should argue that chemistry isn't important.
    They shouldnt, but the ones that do have no understanding of the game

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The chemistry isn't going to magically go down the drain with Patty gone. Yeah - it probably won't happen - but, if it did, the sky wouldn't fall.
    Lol youve never played sports for a consistent and winning team at a compe ive level

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol youve never played sports for a consistent and winning team at a compe ive level
    Neither have you.

And, again, the sky will not fall if Mills leaves the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will ring, manu possibly pau will retire
    I doubt Pau will retire. Those 16 big ones aren't likely guaranteed in that case. If he were to retire the summer after next (coming off a back-to-back), then that would be a different story. If he were to, though, and the team let him keep all of his guaranteed money, they'd likely stretch him so he'd get $4.4 Million a year for five years (again, this just won't happen if he doesn't get a career-ending injury). That would free up about $12 Million in salary. However, it would also possibly trigger under-the-cap scenarios, and if those cases, the Spurs would likely not be as generous with keeping the team together. Kyle (and Bryn and Davis to smaller extents) would be more likely to stay due to his small cap hold, and the timing of signings like Tony's would be bigger.

Plus, that is one of the few scenarios where a Mills trade would be possible.

(In case it needed to be said, if Pau did leave $22 Million on the table to retire, then it would only make the team more likely to go the cap-space route, not less. Though obviously, if it happened after they just won a le, then the team would be more conservative -- to the point that PATFO would probably guarantee more of Pau's final year to make him stay).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither have you.

And, again, the sky will not fall if Mills leaves the team.
    Yes, i have. The difference between us is that i have done what you speculate

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chemistry isn't created by one player. Especially a bench player. Spurs foundation is too strong to break without Mills. , it didn't even shift when Tim retired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, i have. The difference between us is that i have done what you speculate
    The only thing you've consistently contributed to are awful posts on this forum, and the list of missing persons around town.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chemistry isn't created by one player. Especially a bench player. Spurs foundation is too strong to break without Mills. , it didn't even shift when Tim retired.
    The year Tim retired, Pop paid Ginobili $14 Million almost exclusively because of his "corporate knowledge". Yes, culture is held among the group. However, Patty is the leader, and that isn't likely going to be replaced (which is why he got the role in the first place).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. A lot of basketball doesn't happen on the court.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Pau will retire. Those 16 big ones aren't likely guaranteed in that case. If he were to retire the summer after next (coming off a back-to-back), then that would be a different story. If he were to, though, and the team let him keep all of his guaranteed money, they'd likely stretch him so he'd get $4.4 Million a year for five years (again, this just won't happen if he doesn't get a career-ending injury). That would free up about $12 Million in salary. However, it would also possibly trigger under-the-cap scenarios, and if those cases, the Spurs would likely not be as generous with keeping the team together. Kyle (and Bryn and Davis to smaller extents) would be more likely to stay due to his small cap hold, and the timing of signings like Tony's would be bigger.

Plus, that is one of the few scenarios where a Mills trade would be possible.
    Money wise i think youre right. Personality wise i see pau as more a ride off into the sunset guy. Sometimes i watch him and i dont see any compete, but other times i do.

So if they do ring, why do you think spurs wouldnt stay pat?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing you've consistently contributed to are awful posts on this forum, and the list of missing persons around town.
    Again, youve never played. Maybe thats why you dont get the takes

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    So how much does that give us to resign our players? like 15-18 mill right? not counting Danny's, Gay's and Joff's cash I think Danny and Gay exercise their option but I think Joff opts out

Whatever it is, anything more than $0.00 would be too steep a price to re-sign Bertans. Forbes is redundant with Paddy on the roster and everybody knows Kyle is gonna see the majority of that $15-18M whether he deserves it or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, youve never played. Maybe thats why you dont get the takes
    The only takes you have are just the same "no talent in the NBA blah blah blah".

You never post anything else other than the same dribble when you follow me and others around the forum. Tell me how you should be the Celtics' starting PG again though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The year Tim retired, Pop paid Ginobili $14 Million almost exclusively because of his "corporate knowledge". Yes, culture is held among the group. However, Patty is the leader, and that isn't likely going to be replaced (which is why he got the role in the first place).
    A bench player is never the leader. Parker is more of a leader than Patty and he'll be here for another 2-3 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think chemistry would go down if Patty were traded and Manu were to retire. Obviously the guys wouldn't forget how to play basketball (even the Spurs brand) without him. But as far as keeping the locker room steady, I'd be wary. Pop clearly values that highly given the money he's dolled out the past two off-seasons. He could be off his rocker, but he knows his roster better than we do, and if he thought Patty was a "keep at all costs" guy despite him having a down year, it's likely that he's more valuable off the court than guys want to give him credit for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A bench player is never the leader.
    That seems like a really random rule.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Right. A lot of basketball doesn't happen on the court.
    Exactly!! Paddy didn't get paid for his on court performance like most athletes, he was paid for his cheerful demeanor and towel waving.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    A bench player is never the leader. Parker is more of a leader than Patty and he'll be here for another 2-3 years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is more of a leader than parker...... irony

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think chemistry would go down if Patty were traded and Manu were to retire. Obviously the guys wouldn't forget how to play basketball (even the Spurs brand) without him. But as far as keeping the locker room steady, I'd be wary. Pop clearly values that highly given the money he's dolled out the past two off-seasons. He could be off his rocker, but he knows his roster better than we do, and if he thought Patty was a "keep at all costs" guy despite him having a down year, it's likely that he's more valuable off the court than guys want to give him credit for.
    But how much? Enough to significantly affect play on the court? I'm skeptical of that notion.

Thread Information