good question

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My knees were ing hurting after 2 feet. And the cop got mad when the old fella couldn't keep his hands up and needed assistance from his hands.
    I don't know what protocol is.

Seems like once he was originally on the ground with his hands stretched out, the cop could have moved in and gotten behind him.

But I don't know what they're trained to do. Very sad. But again, being drunk and pointing a gun out the window is going to put you in a ty situation.

The reality is that sometimes, a confluence of bad cir stances comes together and result in a terrible outcome. 1) drunk guy 2) pointing a scoped gun out of a window 3) reaching to pull up his pants 4) hair trigger cop

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what protocol is.

Seems like once he was originally on the ground with his hands stretched out, the cop could have moved in and gotten behind him.

But I don't know what they're trained to do. Very sad. But again, being drunk and pointing a gun out the window is going to put you in a ty situation.

The reality is that sometimes, a confluence of bad cir stances comes together and result in a terrible outcome. 1) drunk guy 2) pointing a scoped gun out of a window 3) reaching to pull up his pants 4) hair trigger cop
    They are trained to restrain the guy once he's not a threat. The cop escalated the situation that led to this man's murder. The cops even think it was a cut and dry case that they didn't even need to charge him for manslaughter. They went higher than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are trained to restrain the guy once he's not a threat. The cop escalated the situation that led to this man's murder. The cops even think it was a cut and dry case that they didn't even need to charge him for manslaughter. They went higher than that.
    You don't know what the their training protocol is. Maybe we both have a vague idea but neither of us knows the specifics. I'm pretty sure their are some steps that the cops are instructed to go through.

In any event...say it was you in the cop's position

You're coming up on someone who was reported as just pointing a scoped gun out of a window. And he seems pretty damn unstable. He reaches back toward his waist. Are you going to wait to see if he pulls a gun out a gun?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a reason they didn't restrain him while he was on the ground?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't know what the their training protocol is. Maybe we both have a vague idea but neither of us knows the specifics. I'm pretty sure their are some steps that the cops are instructed to go through.

You're coming up on someone who was reported as just pointing a scoped gun out of a window. And he seems pretty damn unstable. He reaches back toward his waist. Are you going to wait to see if he pulls a gun out a gun?
    If I'm by myself I probably shoot him.

If I had other cops with me, and I already had him on his ing stomach down with hands out and feet crossed. 100000% of the ing time, I take him in alive.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Is there a reason they didn't restrain him while he was on the ground?
    I think they were neutralizing the girl first

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm by myself I probably shoot him.

If I had other cops with me, and I already had him on his ing stomach down with hands out and feet crossed. 100000% of the ing time, I take him in alive.
    Seems like a good plan. But again, the reason they have protocol is to avoid situations where the cops have to make subjective calls.

Unfortunately, in this case, it seems like it was a bit extreme.

What they should have done is have another cop on the roof and have him repel down the building and bust in the window at the end of the hall and subdue the perp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

damn, daniel didn't stand a chance. dweeb cop covered in tats, tactical gear and his special rifle...he wasn't going to let daniel make it to the morning

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

damn, daniel didn't stand a chance. dweeb cop covered in tats, tactical gear and his special rifle...he wasn't going to let daniel make it to the morning
    Yeah that is the look of dude itching to pull the trigger first chance he gets. Glad he didn't get off.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that is the look of dude itching to pull the trigger first chance he gets. Glad he didn't get off.
    He did get off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #AllLivesMatter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Law enforcement attracts sadistic sickos, and/or creates them, wife beaters, too

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Now you see why I asked if you read the whole article, TSA.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    re-read it and saw he was charged with 2nd, not convicted. That is some ed up .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now you see why I asked if you read the whole article, TSA.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    re-read it and saw he was charged with 2nd, not convicted. That is some ed up .
    You should get the needle for putting five in a man on the ground begging for his life. What a disgrace this got walks.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Not sure how anyone can defend that. I'm sober, wide awake and full attention. I honestly thought he was playing a Saw version of Simon Says. That looked like some "I got the Columbine shooters in the hallway" treatment, not a guy with a red ryder bb gun. Cops need to be evaluated yearly by civilian department.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Now think about it from the other point of view. You're a 26-year-old kid who has some tatted up dude in tactical gear shouting at the top of his lungs with a rifle point at you.

He was just a kid... a stupid kid, but did nothing deserving of death. He was obviously ing rattled and the instructions given to him were neither reasonable or clear. Had the cop(s) handled the situation differently, both suspects would've laid flat on their faces and allowed themselves to be restrained. I'm sure they were trying to get them further away from the door in case there was a shooter inside the room, but they had no handle on the situation because he was trying to be a badass.

The cop murdered him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I swear there's no bigger group of pussies than white American cops. Dude was obviously wasted and scared and the pussy cop was still ting his pants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Cop is an overbearing piece of
    2. Cop had no way of knowing that Shaver was the guy pointing the gun out the window since the room had not been cleared
    3. Cop could not approach Shave due to the fact that the room had not been cleared, as that would have exposed him to potential lethal fire by another person in the room (thus the reason they were forced to crawl down the hallway)

4. Most here have no ing clue about situational awareness, even after watching a video that clearly shows the fact the room had not been cleared, that Shaver lied about being drunk, and that Shaver continually reached behind his back even after being told repeatedly he would die if he did that.

What could have been done differently:

1. Shaver could have not pointed the gun out the hotel window
    2. Cops could have had Shaver walk further forward before commanding him onto the ground, meaning they could have stood further back.
    3. The commands could have been more reasonable, like "keep your hands straight above your head and move toward me" instead of requiring perp to interlace feet.

Murder? Pretty close, but forewarned is forewarned, and based on the situation, probably justifiable as a cop, but I wouldn't want that cop working for me. There's no reason to pretend the situation started in the hallway, like cops just showed up for the of it and caught two people walking out of a hotel room, and shot one of them. The girl seemed to do just fine.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    We cool to judge intent based on tats now?

Not that I disagree, I just find it ironic that the don't judge or traffic stop based on looks crowd is unanimously using the use of tats to judge here.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We cool to judge intent based on tats now?

Not that I disagree, I just find it ironic that the don't judge or traffic stop based on looks crowd is unanimously using the use of tats to judge here.
    I find it weirder that this is the thing that bothers you.

Thread Information