Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump to declare national emergency on opioids months after initial promise

Updated 3:31 PM ET, Mon October 16, 2017

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/16/politi...ncy/index.html

Trash's opioid announcement replaced by Trash's much more important fighting with vets and dead vets' families, and Kelly covering himself in Trash's orange diarrhea.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Family That Built an Empire of Pain

The Sackler dynasty’s ruthless marketing of painkillers has generated billions of dollars—and millions of addicts.

the family business, Purdue Pharma

—a privately held company, based in Stamford, Connecticut, that developed the prescription painkiller OxyContin.

Upon its release, in 1995, OxyContin was hailed as a medical breakthrough, a long-lasting narcotic that could help patients suffering from moderate to severe pain.

The drug became a blockbuster, and has reportedly

generated some thirty-five billion dollars in revenue for Purdue.

But OxyContin is a controversial drug. Its sole active ingredient is

oxycodone, a chemical cousin of heroin which is up to twice as powerful as morphine.

Purdue launched OxyContin with a marketing campaign that attempted to counter this at ude and change the prescribing habits of doctors.

The company funded research and paid doctors to make the case that concerns about opioid addiction were overblown, and that

OxyContin could safely treat an ever-wider range of maladies.

Sales representatives marketed

OxyContin as a product “to start with and to stay with.”

Millions of patients found the drug to be a vital salve for excruciating pain.

But many others grew so hooked on it that, between doses, they experienced debilitating withdrawal.

Since 1999, two hundred thousand Americans have died from overdoses related to OxyContin and other prescription opioids.

the crisis was initially precipitated by a shift in the culture of prescribing—a shift carefully engineered by Purdue.

“If you look
    at the prescribing trends for all the different opioids, it’s in 1996 that prescribing really takes off,”

Kolodny said. “It’s not a coincidence.

That was the year Purdue launched a multifaceted campaign that misinformed the medical community about the risks.”

When I asked Kolodny how much of the blame Purdue bears for the current public-health crisis, he responded,

“The lion’s share.”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/30/the-family-that-built-an-empire-of-pain?mbid=nl_Daily%20102317&CNDID=43758549&spMaili ngID=12202455&spUserID=MTQzNTk4NzA3ODYzS0&spJobID= 1262039210&spReportId=MTI2MjAzOTIxMAS2

As with guns, drug profits beat human lives, human life

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TV News Has an Ugly Role in the Pharma Epidemic That Has Killed 200,000 Americans

There's a virtual TV media blackout on the topic of Pharma's role in the crisis.

there was no coverage by any major TV news outlets of the four versions of the bill or its final signature by President Obama.

there was no coverage by any major TV news outlets of the four versions of the bill or its final signature by President Obama.

The final versions of the bill were approved in the House and Senate with unanimous consent.

When the Ensuring Patient Access and Effective Drug Enforcement Act was being negotiated from 2014 to 2016, there was ample do entation available to Congress members on the drug industry fueling opioid addiction.

But not one story on pharmaceutical drug policies or laws enacted at the root of the opioid crisis.

Except one—ironically, a Feb. 27, 2014, NBC News story on FDA approval of a new painkiller, Zohydro ER, which is five to 10 times more powerful than hydrocodone. Senior-level FDA officials during the Obama administration approved the painkiller over the FDA’s Advisory Board recommendations, which are normally followed.

https://www.alternet.org/drugs/tv-ne...-opioid-crisis

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/indusclient.php?id=h04

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/to...=a&indexType=s

The oligarchy OWNS and OPERATES govt for its own protection, enabling, enrichment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what is the answer? Just tell people to live with chronic pain? Sucks to be you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what is the answer? Just tell people to live with chronic pain? Sucks to be you?
    Social Death Panels.

Get with the game, scra

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could try nonaddictive options like marijuana.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    " Just tell people to live with chronic pain?"

goddamn, you're ING stupid

... to think that 90 OD death's per day are by 90 people simply trying to stop chronic pain.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump Clueless About Opioid Addiction, Too

“If we can teach young people not to take drugs… it’s really, really easy not to take them.”

— President Trump, quoted by Axios, while declaring a “nationwide public health emergency” on the opioid crisis.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    " Just tell people to live with chronic pain?"

goddamn, you're ING stupid

... to think that 90 OD death's per day are by 90 people simply trying to stop chronic pain.

goddamn, you're ING stupid.

Addiction rides on demand. Pain mitigation is a demand. Without the need for powerful pain meds, the avenue for addiction dries up. The option for MJ inclusion is solid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    goddamn, you're ING stupid.

Addiction rides on demand. Pain mitigation is a demand. Without the need for powerful pain meds, the avenue for addiction dries up. The option for MJ inclusion is solid.
    Join CC in amazing stupidity, y'all right wing extremests deserve each other.

90 OD deaths / day are not people people seeking relief from extreme physical pain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Join CC in amazing stupidity, y'all right wing extremests deserve each other.

90 OD deaths / day are not people people seeking relief from extreme physical pain.
    Well you, boukaki. They are talking about prescription meds, not opium.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump Clueless About Opioid Addiction, Too

“If we can teach young people not to take drugs… it’s really, really easy not to take them.”

— President Trump, quoted by Axios, while declaring a “nationwide public health emergency” on the opioid crisis.

Trump is so out of touch. Most people I know addicted to this are 50+.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Well you, boukaki. They are talking about prescription meds, not opium.
    Opioids and heroin to be precise, but pain mitigation alone doesn't justify the sheer numbers of opioids being prescribed these days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/opioid-overdose-deaths-by-age-group/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B"colId":"Location ","sort":"asc"%7D

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Dr. Dumpchumper, why would doctors prescribe them? As someone who goes to a pain doctor and knows the hoops they already have to jump through, what is the solution to individual overdoses?

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Trump is so out of touch. Most people I know addicted to this are 50+.
    No no no, it’s all these young millenials with no health care or jobs who are convincing doctors to write them prescriptions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doctor shopping used to be a huge loophole but now states like Texas are setting up master databases on opiod scrips to prevent someone getting duplicate scrips from multiple doctors.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Well Dr. Dumpchumper, why would doctors prescribe them?
    There are lots of things doctors prescribe that are unnecessary. I'm not saying every prescription is unnecessary but when you have 9 million hydrocodone pills going to one (1) pharmacy over a two year period, I'm going to judge that at least a couple of the prescriptions for those pills were unnecessary.

As someone who goes to a pain doctor and knows the hoops they already have to jump through, what is the solution to individual overdoses?
    I have none, let's just let more people die from overdoses. The patients are the only people to blame. Everything else is perfect. Doctors are perfect. Pharmaceutical companies are even more perfect. There is no emergency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone do ent how many of those are suicides? Could it be like "gun deaths" where 2/3 are intentionally self inflicted? I dont know. I'm asking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just making the point that if I decided to off myself I'd eat a bottle of hydro10's before I ate my .45. Would I just be another epidemic opiod overdose?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its a problem in the midwest. a bunch of slumped mouth zombies all over the place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Naturally Trill selectively posts pictured of white trash ODs. We know blacks never do heroin or get into drug turf wars. He is hysterically racist in his own inimitable way.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Just making the point that if I decided to off myself I'd eat a bottle of hydro10's before I ate my .45. Would I just be another epidemic opiod overdose?
    They do try to keep track. Last numbers I saw were around 10% which is probably a bit low.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Medical pot doesn't help a whole lot of chronic pain that vikes or morphine or other stroonger pks alleviate. I know from experience, and we're talking heavy, heavy concentrates I was...got fairly high, but my back was still ed. Medical pot is great, but isn't the answer to everything, especially pain.

Thread Information