Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Done with Apple...

You knew they did. We knew they did. But they'd never admit it — until now.

Anyone who has downloaded the last couple of updates on their iPhone knows that everything runs slower, and the battery seems to die much faster. Now comes an admission from Apple that you're not nuts.

"Apple on Wednesday said a software feature released last year makes your phone operate more slowly to offset problems with its aging lithium ion battery," CNet.com reported. "As batteries get older, they don't hold their charges as well as newer batteries, and can have worse problems when the charge is low or the temperature is cold."

The aging battery means your phone could have trouble operating or might unexpectedly shut down, like happened to the iPhone 6 and 6S last year. The processors in those devices wanted to hit faster speeds, but their batteries couldn't handle the demand, prompting some phones to simply switch themselves off.

To address that, Apple's iOS software, starting with last year's iOS 10.2.1, included better power management capabilities, the company says. The operating system slows down your device to prevent it from shutting down, Apple says, but only in cases of cold temperature, a low battery charge or very old batteries.

Last year's software applied to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, 6S and 6S Plus and SE. This year's iOS 11.2 extended the feature to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. It will be applied to other Apple devices in the future.

So, Apple has messed with almost every phone but their very latest models, the 8 and the X. The company says they did it to help users.

"Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components," Apple said in a statement.

"Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We've now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future."

Geekbench all but forced the admission out of Apple.

John Poole, founder of Primate Labs, the company behind the Geekbench processor benchmarking software, said "the problem is due, in part, to a change in Apple's iOS operating system, perhaps as part of a 'fix' for an issue with some iPhones shutting down suddenly," Cnet reported.

"This fix will also cause users to think, 'my phone is slow so I should replace it' not, 'my phone is slow so I should replace its battery.' This will likely feed into the 'planned obsolescence' narrative."

Perhaps that's why the Apple store is so packed right now — people are replacing their crummy old phones with new ones — that Apple will one day brick again.

www.dailywire.com/news/24952/apple-admits-we-slow-down-older-phones-only-your-joseph-curl

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Chris...they explained why in details in that same article and even then in just in specific cases.

As a rule of thumb, I never expect old technology to work as good as the new. 1+1=2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Chris...they explained why in details in that same article and even then in just in specific cases.

As a rule of thumb, I never expect old technology to work as good as the new. 1+1=2.
    Trading in a perfectly good phone every 6-12 months is insanity.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a lot of people do that. I certainly dont.

They're only doing it with older phones. The 6 and 6S isn't exactly new. It's a couple of years old.

It's foolish to think Apple is the only one doing shady business with their product. They're all doing it.

you're my sweetie pie Cuppycake Gumdrop's Avatar
    My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    Yeah, this is definitely true. Apple can give all the excuses they want, we all know that they do crap like this to get people to upgrade their phones early. There’s no way in that technology advances so much in only a year that this would be necessary. I have an iPhone 7 which performed just fine, yet I immediately noticed lags and glitches as soon as the iPhone X released. That’s just ridiculous and shameless of Apple.

Apple, but at the same time I’m sure Samsung/LG/etc do the exact same .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this is definitely true. Apple can give all the excuses they want, we all know that they do crap like this to get people to upgrade their phones early. There’s no way in that technology advances so much in only a year that this would be necessary. I have an iPhone 7 which performed just fine, yet I immediately noticed lags and glitches as soon as the iPhone X released. That’s just ridiculous and shameless of Apple.

Apple, but at the same time I’m sure Samsung/LG/etc do the exact same .
    Probably all use the same lithium ion batteries...We need a Tesla type innovation to break free of the cell phone monopolies.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Apple's planned obsolescence is not a bug but a feature?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get a new iPhone every other year, have not noticed any slowdown, but I had the battery replaced under the repair extension about a year ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isheeps still defending their cute californian company...

Save for the first four versions of iphone, the Iphone has been absoulte ass compared to compe ion.

I'm getting an S8 soon plus a nintendo switch cause I am getting a 300CAD in store credit with a purchase of a new s8 phone. tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, and this is no defense of Apple, li-ion battery are well known to have a 3 year lifespan, more or less. That applies to any phone, or device that uses li-ion. Elapsed that period, batteries don't charge fully anymore and discharge quicker.

What's stupid is the industry going for non-replaceable batteries, something Apple started. Very stupid, since if you open any iPhone, the battery is an isolated pack right there, there's zero technical reasons not to have a door and a connector to replace it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, and this is no defense of Apple, li-ion battery are well known to have a 3 year lifespan, more or less. That applies to any phone, or device that uses li-ion. Elapsed that period, batteries don't charge fully anymore and discharge quicker.

What's stupid is the industry going for non-replaceable batteries, something Apple started. Very stupid, since if you open any iPhone, the battery is an isolated pack right there, there's zero technical reasons not to have a door and a connector to replace it.
    Zero technical reason but one hundred financial reason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll drop this here again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isheeps still defending their cute californian company...

Save for the first four versions of iphone, the Iphone has been absoulte ass compared to compe ion.

I'm getting an S8 soon plus a nintendo switch cause I am getting a 300CAD in store credit with a purchase of a new s8 phone. tbh.
    You're gonna Love the S8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue isn’t “real issues” with the batteries; the real issues are with Apple’s business practices.

If Apple was acting in good faith, it could have:

1) Given users the option in Settings of choosing the behavior that Apple decided instead to implement for everyone and keep secret;

2) Notified users that their battery was degrading — this could even be calendar-driven, if measuring battery life is a problem — and that they should take their phone to Apple and get their battery replaced.

Apple did neither of these things. Note that the second option would have generated profit for Apple. By not adopting it, Apple makes a prima facie case that they acted to maximize profit, by “nudging” users into purchasing premium-priced phones they didn’t really need.

AFAIK, battery degradation is not a new thing. And yet the idea of degraded batteries triggering degraded performance was only implemented in the recent past. Caveating that I don’t know the history of Apple’s battery technology, this also argues that the driver behind Apple’s decision was not technical but business.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smartphones are, by far, the most overrated and needlessly fetishized tech mankind has ever produced. It in baffles me why people need the "new" version some months after the last version was released. I mean, is the new iPhone version whatever really going to do snapchat, instagram, and facebook (which is where your typical smartphone addict spends most their time) better than the last iPhone version?

As Mono said, tech doesn't move that fast anymore. You can still speedily surf the net with an eMachine running XP on Pentium 4 from 2005. There's no reason an iPhone or Galaxy from like 2013 (looking up specs) with a dual core at 1.3 GHZ and a 1GB of ram shouldn't do anything and everything outside of demanding CAD work, gaming and streaming 4K content (which makes no sense to do on a phone in all cases). Do people really need that animated emoticon that badly or something?

Samsung is guilty of this planned obsolescence , as well. I still have a Galaxy 5, and it slows down after every update and sees a reduction in battery life. And since these pieces of are basically walled gardens, you really can't do much to "tweak" it in order to run faster. Factory resets don't work nearly as well as a fresh install of an OS on a computer, for example. Can't upgrade any components, overclock anything, etc, etc. You're just forced to buy a new one when the supposed old one is "obsolete." And I refuse to do that, since the kind of applications smartphones are actually good for (re: not gaming, video watching, music playing) can be handled by a toaster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not just batteries either, they do it with the OS releases and developer tools too. There's no technical reason why a 1st gen iPad Pro can't run iOS 10 or 11, while an iPhone 5S can. None, zero.

On the devtools side, newer versions of XCode drop support for old OS versions, which means that if you want to target new features of the latest OS, your app now has a minimum OS version support of 8 or 9 (can't remember), even if your app worked perfectly fine under iOS 7, 6, 5, etc...

But hey, it's the rentier model... that's how companies make money these days...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not just batteries either, they do it with the OS releases and developer tools too. There's no technical reason why a 1st gen iPad Pro can't run iOS 10 or 11, while an iPhone 5S can. None, zero.

On the devtools side, newer versions of XCode drop support for old OS versions, which means that if you want to target new features of the latest OS, your app now has a minimum OS version support of 8 or 9 (can't remember), even if your app worked perfectly fine under iOS 7, 6, 5, etc...

But hey, it's the rentier model... that's how companies make money these days...
    Yep. No money in things lasting or being able to fix/upgrade things to make them last. It's the future! I think desktop PCs will probably be phased out sooner than later (for the mainstream) and the smartphone will basically function as your streamlined "all-in-one" entertainment device (computer, game console, movie player, music player, etc). Now obviously, as you know, you're not going to cram a 1080ti or some future high octane card or CPU in that form factor without it melting, so everything will probably just be streamed (like that failed project Onlive tried to do) server side once Internet speeds and infrastructure are up to snuff (if they aren't already).

No ownership of anything anymore. Renting all around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smartphones are, by far, the most overrated and needlessly fetishized tech mankind has ever produced. It in baffles me why people need the "new" version some months after the last version was released. I mean, is the new iPhone version whatever really going to do snapchat, instagram, and facebook (which is where your typical smartphone addict spends most their time) better than the last iPhone version?

As Mono said, tech doesn't move that fast anymore. You can still speedily surf the net with an eMachine running XP on Pentium 4 from 2005. There's no reason an iPhone or Galaxy from like 2013 (looking up specs) with a dual core at 1.3 GHZ and a 1GB of ram shouldn't do anything and everything outside of demanding CAD work, gaming and streaming 4K content (which makes no sense to do on a phone in all cases). Do people really need that animated emoticon that badly or something?

Samsung is guilty of this planned obsolescence , as well. I still have a Galaxy 5, and it slows down after every update and sees a reduction in battery life. And since these pieces of are basically walled gardens, you really can't do much to "tweak" it in order to run faster. Factory resets don't work nearly as well as a fresh install of an OS on a computer, for example. Can't upgrade any components, overclock anything, etc, etc. You're just forced to buy a new one when the supposed old one is "obsolete." And I refuse to do that, since the kind of applications smartphones are actually good for (re: not gaming, video watching, music playing) can be handled by a toaster.
    Truth.

I'm still rocking the early iteration of the Iphone 6. Not complaining. And before that I had the 5, skipping all the other 5 versions.

You and Nono are among my favorite posters. You gots need to post more around here and lay down them facts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. No money in things lasting or being able to fix/upgrade things to make them last. It's the future! I think desktop PCs will probably be phased out sooner than later (for the mainstream) and the smartphone will basically function as your streamlined "all-in-one" entertainment device (computer, game console, movie player, music player, etc). Now obviously, as you know, you're not going to cram a 1080ti or some future high octane card or CPU in that form factor without it melting, so everything will probably just be streamed (like that failed project Onlive tried to do) server side once Internet speeds and infrastructure are up to snuff (if they aren't already).

No ownership of anything anymore. Renting all around.
    Yeah...but I really want to turn my face into an animated giraffe. So...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The smartphone is one of the greatest and worst personal technological advancements in the last couple of decades. It replaces so many peripheral devices, including the PC in most simple cases. But this thread also illustrates why it's one of the worst things people own anymore. It's damn near impossible to even get around without one these days. And the carriers aren't interested in selling you a cheap phone with a discounted package. No, they want you to finance (or worse, lease) a new phone every 12 months that promises to masage your balls for you. And people are too broke, or too stupid, to look for other options.

And purposefully ing your phone up with updates to force you to "upgrade" is some underhanded bull .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, they want you to finance (or worse, lease) a new phone every 12 months that promises to masage your balls for you.
    One of the worst scams they do and people fall for it in droves. (Me included the first time I ever got a smartphone)

I was getting greased with a monthly charge plus interest. Never again. I had to buy the phone straight up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And paying full price for a fragile piece of equipment that drops in value faster than a car.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I can't picture paying for a new phone and plan anymore tbh . My Galaxy S5 ain't going anywhere soon (I don't even have a plan on the phone) and the workplace provides the iPhone I use for everything.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Still buying the newest phone

Never again, mom and dad.

Thread Information