Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smartphones are, by far, the most overrated and needlessly fetishized tech mankind has ever produced. It in baffles me why people need the "new" version some months after the last version was released. I mean, is the new iPhone version whatever really going to do snapchat, instagram, and facebook (which is where your typical smartphone addict spends most their time) better than the last iPhone version?

As Mono said, tech doesn't move that fast anymore. You can still speedily surf the net with an eMachine running XP on Pentium 4 from 2005. There's no reason an iPhone or Galaxy from like 2013 (looking up specs) with a dual core at 1.3 GHZ and a 1GB of ram shouldn't do anything and everything outside of demanding CAD work, gaming and streaming 4K content (which makes no sense to do on a phone in all cases). Do people really need that animated emoticon that badly or something?

Samsung is guilty of this planned obsolescence , as well. I still have a Galaxy 5, and it slows down after every update and sees a reduction in battery life. And since these pieces of are basically walled gardens, you really can't do much to "tweak" it in order to run faster. Factory resets don't work nearly as well as a fresh install of an OS on a computer, for example. Can't upgrade any components, overclock anything, etc, etc. You're just forced to buy a new one when the supposed old one is "obsolete." And I refuse to do that, since the kind of applications smartphones are actually good for (re: not gaming, video watching, music playing) can be handled by a toaster.
    ive had my grand prime for years now.

but im getting the s8 cause ill be paying 0 dollars, same plan and 300isc .

you cant tell me thats a bad deal

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smartphones are, by far, the most overrated and needlessly fetishized tech mankind has ever produced. It in baffles me why people need the "new" version some months after the last version was released. I mean, is the new iPhone version whatever really going to do snapchat, instagram, and facebook (which is where your typical smartphone addict spends most their time) better than the last iPhone version?

As Mono said, tech doesn't move that fast anymore. You can still speedily surf the net with an eMachine running XP on Pentium 4 from 2005. There's no reason an iPhone or Galaxy from like 2013 (looking up specs) with a dual core at 1.3 GHZ and a 1GB of ram shouldn't do anything and everything outside of demanding CAD work, gaming and streaming 4K content (which makes no sense to do on a phone in all cases). Do people really need that animated emoticon that badly or something?

Samsung is guilty of this planned obsolescence , as well. I still have a Galaxy 5, and it slows down after every update and sees a reduction in battery life. And since these pieces of are basically walled gardens, you really can't do much to "tweak" it in order to run faster. Factory resets don't work nearly as well as a fresh install of an OS on a computer, for example. Can't upgrade any components, overclock anything, etc, etc. You're just forced to buy a new one when the supposed old one is "obsolete." And I refuse to do that, since the kind of applications smartphones are actually good for (re: not gaming, video watching, music playing) can be handled by a toaster.
    smartphones. I can't believe what they cost and none of them can game anywhere near as well as a 3DS from 2011.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The smartphone is one of the greatest and worst personal technological advancements in the last couple of decades. It replaces so many peripheral devices, including the PC in most simple cases. But this thread also illustrates why it's one of the worst things people own anymore. It's damn near impossible to even get around without one these days. And the carriers aren't interested in selling you a cheap phone with a discounted package. No, they want you to finance (or worse, lease) a new phone every 12 months that promises to masage your balls for you. And people are too broke, or too stupid, to look for other options.

And purposefully ing your phone up with updates to force you to "upgrade" is some underhanded bull .
    I never went for the smartphone hype but the Asus tablet I got was slowed by every time it updated. By the time it was a year old the ing thing felt like a dinosaur. Google can go themselves, I'm not buying any more Android .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smartphones. I can't believe what they cost and none of them can game anywhere near as well as a 3DS from 2011.
    Another concern of mine is how the average person (moreso the average teenager or even preteen) uses it as their primary entertainment device for movie watching, music listening, and even gaming. What's the problem with that?

Obviously, a smartphone allows too convenient an access to all sorts of distractions, from checking emails, facebook, responding to texts, e-shopping, whatever. If content creators (filmmakers, music makers, etc) know they have to compete for a user's attention in such an overcrowded entertainment landscape where the typical user jumps from one thing to another every few minutes, they'll have to create content that can survive in that ecosystem, which means content that is shorter, "catchier," and shallower. It's why Vine was/is a huge thing. In addition to that, a smartphone's display and sound can't do the best film, music, and games any kind of creative justice (imagine something like Lawrence of Arabia on a 6" screen), but if that's the fidelity the next generation of consumers are used to, then there's no incentive to meticulously compose shots for your film, master your music well, etc.

This fear has been expressed before. A composer (I forget who) thought that the invention of the phonograph would spell the death of the live concert and lower the standards of music composition overall. Filmmakers thought television would condition people to prefer motion pictures on smaller screens. We've been here before, and good creative work always finds a way to flourish, so I'm not that pessimistic...yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ive had my grand prime for years now.

but im getting the s8 cause ill be paying 0 dollars, same plan and 300isc .

you cant tell me thats a bad deal
    Free (with your plan) is never a bad deal. Ride it till it dies. Don't reward this planned obsolescence bull by buying the new whatever next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Free (with your plan) is never a bad deal. Ride it till it dies. Don't reward this planned obsolescence bull by buying the new whatever next year.
    My grand prime runs well because it was never updated. The only problem is the 8gb interntal storage. I could easily buy a microsd though.

Just need a new phone cause the screen cracked a few months ago and its hard to watch games with cracked screens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah...but I really want to turn my face into an animated giraffe. So...
    I ing hate that commercial man.. the dumbass blonde and her re face, the song, the damn animated thing.. everything.. Who the buys a phone based on a feature like this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ing hate that commercial man.. the dumbass blonde and her re face, the song, the damn animated thing.. everything.. Who the buys a phone based on a feature like this
    They're gonna be sending out their clever animated emjois and no one is going to watch that . They'll use a 5 or 6 times.

Not to mention that the receiver also has to have an IPhone.

you're my sweetie pie Cuppycake Gumdrop's Avatar
    My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    BOOM! Apple apologizes, offers to replace old batteries for $29 and only for one year.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/28/16827248/apple-iphone-battery-replacement-price-slow-down-apology

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ever since reading this thread I've become paranoid about my being slow. And it has been. Also crashing on sites it never was before.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isheeps still defending their cute californian company...

Save for the first four versions of iphone, the Iphone has been absoulte ass compared to compe ion.

I'm getting an S8 soon plus a nintendo switch cause I am getting a 300CAD in store credit with a purchase of a new s8 phone. tbh.
    I got $400 trade in on Note 5 I got free at Sprint switching to ATT for a Note 8. Get the Note, better than the Galaxy this round. And get yourself the VR too, worth it for a C note.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got $400 trade in on Note 5 I got free at Sprint switching to ATT for a Note 8. Get the Note, better than the Galaxy this round. And get yourself the VR too, worth it for a C note.
    No ones going to give me a dollar with a galaxy grand prime

I dont wan to pay for a phone. Plus, the s8 is on a cheaper plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at least thats something. i've had my iphone 6 for about 3 years now, and it was running at a snails pace... very choppy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No ones going to give me a dollar with a galaxy grand prime

I dont wan to pay for a phone. Plus, the s8 is on a cheaper plan.
    Note 8 is great, but it's more expensive than the S8 and is too big for my tiny girly hands.(and good luck trying to reach the FP if you don't have big ass hands)
    Dat SPen is awesome imo fwiw

Happy with the S8 so far, great battery life, nice Samsung features, amazing screen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Note 8 is great, but it's more expensive than the S8 and is too big for my tiny girly hands.(and good luck trying to reach the FP if you don't have big ass hands)
    Dat SPen is awesome imo fwiw

Happy with the S8 so far, great battery life, nice Samsung features, amazing screen.
    are you using your older phone?

I wanna carry it around, but I cant find the box that came with the phone. I wanna use it as an emergency phone so i need to get it unlocked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are you using your older phone?

I wanna carry it around, but I cant find the box that came with the phone. I wanna use it as an emergency phone so i need to get it unlocked.
    I wanted to keep it as a backup but my sister's iPhone was dieding (surprise surprise) so I gave her my S6.

My dad has the Moto E4 (2017 ) that he ordered from Amazon last month.
    Pretty good for a $150 phone , smooth , has a fingerprint scanner, a front facing speaker, and micro SD slot.

Camera is meh and it's not water resistant but for the price it's damn good.
    (That's his main phone by the way)

You can look into that, pretty solid backup phone

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted to keep it as a backup but my sister's iPhone was dieding (surprise surprise) so I gave her my S6.

My dad has the Moto E4 (2017 ) that he ordered from Amazon last month.
    Pretty good for a $150 phone , smooth , has a fingerprint scanner, a front facing speaker, and micro SD slot.

Camera is meh and it's not water resistant but for the price it's damn good.
    (That's his main phone by the way)

You can look into that, pretty solid backup phone
    Shoulda given your sis a battery replacement tbh, you cheap .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shoulda given your sis a battery replacement tbh, you cheap .
    Lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    finally got an s8. I had no idea we get a 40% discount on our monthly plans working for gov. I should have bought the note 8, but the 300 credit in store was too much to pass up. I couldbt get one with the note 8. I just wanna buy a switch so opted for s8.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    finally got an s8. I had no idea we get a 40% discount on our monthly plans working for gov. I should have bought the note 8, but the 300 credit in store was too much to pass up. I couldbt get one with the note 8. I just wanna buy a switch so opted for s8.
    My

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they didn't have so many worthless ing apps that need to constantly update because the "chinese alphabet" or some stupid , these batteries would be just fine. You disable updates, then a mandatory OS update comes and turns them all back on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apple ride or dies are funny as .. The only dumbass I know whos been buying iPhones since day 1 had plenty to say to avoid this new development..

First it was "oh my iPhone didnt go any slower so that article is just hating", then after he was told Apple confirmed the story themselves it turned into a defense of needing an upgrade anyway.. Yes that's true, we all need animojis

Thread Information