Post Count
    Probably the most exciting coach hire for the Raiders in a very long time

I was maybe more excited when they hired Kiffin
    most exciting hire since jon gruden tbh

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    not sure what the big deal is tbh

I'm gonna go ahead and go into wait and see mode on this one. It's been awhile for old chuckster.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Give Gruden two drafts/free agent signings periods, yep, two seasons. I don't see a quick fix but I do see the Raiders a serious AFC Champ contender 2020ish. He needs a defense and will build one.

Love the move.

The NFL is better when my Niners and the Raiders are in the mix.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I'm gonna go ahead and go into wait and see mode on this one. It's been awhile for old chuckster.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-with-football

History says a coach who makes a comeback like this is probably going to fail. But Gruden is still relatively young. He’s got a solid QB to build on, and maybe he can get Amari Cooper to care about playing football again.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I don't know if Cooper has ever cared about football. When I saw him at Alabama, I figured he just wasn't a diva.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I don't know if Cooper has ever cared about football. When I saw him at Alabama, I figured he just wasn't a diva.
    & they already cut Crabtree? So they don't really have an offense or defense. Lynch is too old. The rest are scatbacks. RT is lousy. Penn is probably gone, too. Carr is just decent.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Damn. La Canfora is ALL over this

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    WTF is going on

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    losing record after the dungy earned superbowl tbh

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    losing record after the dungy earned superbowl tbh
    where the opponent was the gruden built superbowl raider team

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Gruden has stayed on top of todays NFL, and he's seen all the teams play unlike any other coach. His knowledge of the players/compe ion on a whole other level.

2020 I expect to see the Raiders in serious contention to win it all, ah....barring injuries of course.

Niners vs Raiders in a SB, how cool is that?

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    it smells like one of the biggest busts ever.. it smells like raiders raiding tbh. Although don't have anything against Gruden and obviously like Carr and Cooper a lot.. but still.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    This is a winning move--whether you agree with the terms or not. This is an exciting hire for a team that needed a fire lit under its ass. FA's will flock there, the offense will reach new heights, and Gruden will demand accountability. It's also the perfect move for when the team relocates to Vegas

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    people on gruden for tampa's decline after the superbowl, but neglect the fact that the Gruden arrived to a team that just traded 2 first round picks AND 2 second rounds picks while not having a franchise qb in place. nobody is surviving that. he ended up dragging them back into the playoffs with the corpse of jeff garcia and got fired after a 9-7 season

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    people on gruden for tampa's decline after the superbowl, but neglect the fact that the Gruden arrived to a team that just traded 2 first round picks AND 2 second rounds picks while not having a franchise qb in place. nobody is surviving that. he ended up dragging them back into the playoffs with the corpse of jeff garcia and got fired after a 9-7 season
    He was mediocre in Tampa. You're making it sound like he was fired after like two years. He was there eight seasons, which is plenty long to recover from the trades to begin the decade. The truth is that most of the picks he got weren't really good players. Some of that was front-office related, like the owners apparently wanting Cadillac over Rodgers in 2005. But Tampa under him was a treadmill team that would collapse in big moments. The only reason why they were close was because of the defensive stalwarts they got under Dungy. Maybe Jon didn't really want to be there, and that's why the Bucs seemed like a soulless team for much of his tenure. But he absolutely deserves flack for how the tenure ended, even if firing him to bring in Raheem Moore wasn't the smartest idea.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    He was mediocre in Tampa. You're making it sound like he was fired after like two years. He was there eight seasons, which is plenty long to recover from the trades to begin the decade. The truth is that most of the picks he got weren't really good players. Some of that was front-office related, like the owners apparently wanting Cadillac over Rodgers in 2005. But Tampa under him was a treadmill team that would collapse in big moments. The only reason why they were close was because of the defensive stalwarts they got under Dungy. Maybe Jon didn't really want to be there, and that's why the Bucs seemed like a soulless team for much of his tenure. But he absolutely deserves flack for how the tenure ended, even if firing him to bring in Raheem Moore wasn't the smartest idea.
    Their lack of draft picks and salary cap position definitely were factors in their post SB decline.

A lot of teams missed on rodgers, and Cadillac always being in the shop hampered them quite a bit too since they kept whiffing at qb with mccown Simms and gradkowski. They became a fringe playoff team with the corpse of Jeff Garcia and he got canned after back to back 9-7 seasons. That’s a mark they’ve only bested once since he left.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Gruden has stayed on top of todays NFL, and he's seen all the teams play unlike any other coach. His knowledge of the players/compe ion on a whole other level.

2020 I expect to see the Raiders in serious contention to win it all, ah....barring injuries of course.

Niners vs Raiders in a SB, how cool is that?
    Only because New England and Pittsburgh will likely be out of the picture by 2020.

Ben is gone in the next couple years, and who knows if Brady/Belichick survive this offseason together if they don't win the SB this year.

2020, I could see... Houston, Oakland, Jets, Cleveland being the real contenders in the AFC.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Their lack of draft picks and salary cap position definitely were factors in their post SB decline.

A lot of teams missed on rodgers, and Cadillac always being in the shop hampered them quite a bit too since they kept whiffing at qb with mccown Simms and gradkowski. They became a fringe playoff team with the corpse of Jeff Garcia and he got canned after back to back 9-7 seasons. That’s a mark they’ve only bested once since he left.
    Griese was mostly a bust, as was Johnson after his SB run. Simms might have been something had his spleen not exploded on him. McCown and Grad weren't supposed to be answers. Gruden got into the same funk Parcels did to end his tenure. He kept running old-ass Garcia because he didn't take the time to develop anyone else. Supposedly had he not been fired, his plan was to give the keys to Josh Johnson, a guy the next coach would call a "career-long backup" (which was supposed to be a compliment). For the team Tampa was under Dungy, getting a base-hit QB was fine. But if you're an offensive guru, you can't go eight years with nothing to show for it besides Earnest Graham and the breaking-down Davin Joseph. He left a team that had no talent and no direction. Maybe he should get credit for getting them to 9-7 with such a terrible roster, but he was around long enough to where the roster was his fault too.

I know you're trying to get excited about the hire, and , Jon had a great run in Oakland. But he was closer to John Harbaugh in terms of coaches: solid or even above average but not franchise-changing by any means. But , what was Pete Carroll before his 'Hawks tenure?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    He’s more jim harbaugh than Jon, for better or worse

Thread Information