Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need to work on being elite at something.

That can be defense with the right personnel (trading away Patty, minimizing Parkers' role).

They won't be able to beat the best teams if it becomes a battle of the half court game because of how heavily dependent they are at 40% post ups, ISOs and very poor PnR play.

They need to optimize their chances at getting stops and getting out in transition as much as possible. That's going to give them the best chance to beat the best teams.
    They weren't built to play that way playing 2 "slow" bigs tbh.

I kind of feel Murray plays better with the bench crew despite all the arguments about crowding Manu's passing lanes or what not bc Manu likes to push the pace and he's a gambler himself... which hurts at times, but he also keeps a unit alive that way, which is otherwise poor defensively and has been for some time. they are definitely more free flowing.

But that is beside the point, even though they struggled, the starters really didn't lose this game, but the bench. Spurs need to do something there. The bench this year hasn't been as good as previous years. They are obviously affected by injuries too, and guys starting right now that should be bolstering the bench play.. but they have all sorts of issues right now with the bench.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They weren't built to play that way playing 2 "slow" bigs tbh.

I kind of feel Murray plays better with the bench crew despite all the arguments about crowding Manu's passing lanes or what not bc Manu likes to push the pace and he's a gambler himself... which hurts at times, but he also keeps a unit alive that way, which is otherwise poor defensively and has been for some time. they are definitely more free flowing.

But that is beside the point, even though they struggled, the starters really didn't lose this game, but the bench. Spurs need to do something there. The bench this year hasn't been as good as previous years. They are obviously affected by injuries too, and guys starting right now that should be bolstering the bench play.. but they have all sorts of issues right now with the bench.
    Spurs get by playing 2 " slow" bigs when it doesn't really count. But when it counts, they can't play that style. If Pop didn't make that adjustment against the Rockets, Spurs would have lost in 5 games. Spurs will have to make that adjustment again if they want to win any games against the Rockets or Warriors.

I think the bench is fine, I just think Pop is utilizing it the wrong way with dumbass rotations and lineups.

Pop goes to midget ball too often in the back court which kills the defense. At the same time, midget ball gives the opposition a huge edge physically when Spurs are on offense, as the opposition gets to easily knock Patty or Forbes off their paths working around screens, or working off V cuts to get open on the wing. The opposition has an easier time getting their hands in passing lanes and kill the Spurs in transition for easy points because they are stronger and longer physically. It's bully ball on the perimeter.

This is why I hate the idea of playing Murray and Forbes at the 2 next to Patty. Forbes and Murray have an advantage when they are not playing against bigger guys and it works out a lot better for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs get by playing 2 " slow" bigs when it doesn't really count. But when it counts, they can't play that style. If Pop didn't make that adjustment against the Rockets, Spurs would have lost in 5 games. Spurs will have to make that adjustment again if they want to win any games against the Rockets or Warriors.

I think the bench is fine, I just think Pop is utilizing it the wrong way with dumbass rotations and lineups.

Pop goes to midget ball too often in the back court which kills the defense. At the same time, midget ball gives the opposition a huge edge physically when Spurs are on offense, as the opposition gets to easily knock Patty or Forbes off their paths working around screens, or working off V cuts to get open on the wing. The opposition has an easier time getting their hands in passing lanes and kill the Spurs in transition for easy points because they are stronger and longer physically. It's bully ball on the perimeter.

This is why I hate the idea of playing Murray and Forbes at the 2 next to Patty. Forbes and Murray have an advantage when they are not playing against bigger guys and it works out a lot better for the Spurs.
    I agree with you... good observations. I hate midget ball too. I have become critical of Bryn and it's not his fault. He's playing well. Pop does him a disservice playing him next to Patty and letting them both get bullied. Even Manu cannot save a pairing that small and deficient defensively. I have been missing Danny Green a lot. I have had enough of these munchkin wing combos. They lost the Utah game going midget ball. They looked very bad similarly against the Pistons.

Pop isn't not going to bench Patty when Patty deserves a benching bottom line. I am not sure Pop is going to make changes that he needs to make. I am quite dispirited about this season. I don't think Tony will make a difference on what we are seeing either. They almost lost the sacramento game (another awful lottery team that had the Spurs on the ropes). One could say they don't pull that off in the end if it wasn't for Tony getting benched. Kyle made key defensive plays and steals down the stretch and grabbed rebounds, Davis was huge too obviously... probably his best game of the season (Mills was just basically there, and Tony was bad)... Murray had a good game from the bench.

I hope Pop really examines what he has and how he can optimize his players. I am not sure they will be fully healthy this season. I am with you in feeling dispirited about their outlook:"the year of bad fortune." I am not optimistic about Rudy either tbqh with you. I am not sure his body is going to hold up. I hope to be wrong. I think the team is in danger of wearing Manu out like they did in 2015.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need to work on being elite at something.

That can be defense with the right personnel (trading away Patty, minimizing Parkers' role) and going with more athletic, longer line ups.

They won't be able to beat the best teams if it becomes a battle of the half court game because of how heavily dependent they are at 40% post ups, ISOs and very poor PnR play.

They need to optimize their chances at getting stops and getting out in transition as much as possible. That's going to give them the best chance to beat the best teams.

And even though Spurs rank 2nd in the NBA in defense -- that's overall. That's not when Patty and Parker are on the floor. Luckily, Parker has been out of the lineups a lot and Mills has been so bad that Pop can't give him more than 25 minutes even when Parker is out.
    Or, what theyre likely to do is nothing, flame out in the 2nd round, and recoup some of the 50/80 Mills they spent via playoff game revenue and call it a wash. Then maybe look to trade in the offseason. The Holting Pattern (tm)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol this thread shoud be >poop

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I think we have a large enough sample size to tell at this point what 3 of the 4 will bring:

Murray: pros - some 1-on-1 offense (floaters/layups), some defense (steals) cons - suspect shooting, suspect offense running, some turnovers
    Mills: pros - great shooting when he's hot/off ball spot ups, some offense running, knowledge of The System, FT% cons - sometimes can't run offense well, lack of size for defense/gets beat often
    Forbes: pros - higher percentage shooter, clutch, some skill to get buckets in 1-on-1 cons - small defensive matchup vs. most NBA SGs, FT%, can't really run offense

White: not sure at this point. From his college tapes he looks like a smaller James Anderson type. A tad slow but can get some buckets. Ran his college team so probably ok with the ball in his hands

BP3: pros - not sure at this point, average defense, average size (sadly much better than the rest of the guards besides Murray/Manu) cons - doesn't seem to know the offense/seems to get lost out there, doesn't play big (I think he's about Westbrook's size but doesn't play big like Russ)
    And this is why he should play over Patty, Forbes, and Murray.
    He's the only one of the group that can dribble a basketball. Literally.

Murray sometimes makes a quick move with the ball, but mostly he struggles to manage the ball, especially when pressed. Also, he can't finish at the rim or shoot. But mainly it's the "not a good dribbler" thing. It's maddening.

Patty can barely move with the ball at this point and asking him to deliver a pass properly is a non-starter.

Forbes is an great shooter some nights, but he can't direct the flow of offense. Can't be relied on for point guard duties.

White HAS to be our 2nd PG because the guys mechanically, physically cannot handle the rock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its also sad that no matter how " bad" he is offensively, he's still making a bigger impact than the two point guards who are getting paid 26 million this year.

People don't realize that when he's on the floor, Spurs get out in transition more because of the deflections, steals and activity he creates on defensive end. That helps the Spurs get out in transition more and get easier opportunities than what the half court offense produces.

Great defense creates easier opportunities on offense.

Bad defense, makes putting up points harder because they are facing a set defense more often than not.
    this is what they're not getting...they think because he isnt a great jumpshooter that he shouldn't play...this is laughable...i know i joke about this, but i really think they would want to bench Giannis if he came to the spurs because he cant shoot...murray does everything ele better than our other point guards (ESPECIALLY defense), and he is MUCH younger than them and stands to grow more if given adequate playing time and a consistent role...even with it being erratic now, he shows potential to be a great leader, and he is a gamechanger...even with him . not being able to shoot, some of our best moments come with him in the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his rebound numbers are also misleading for a fan who just boxscores games and doesn't watch them. Sometimes he's been known to try to tip his own misses 2 or 3 times, ending up with a misleading number of offensive rebounds. Some defensive rebounds are just snatched while a big could also have gotten it. Still not to take away from the fact he's aggressive as a rebounder, but it's not necessarily something that is making a difference.

I agree that his inability to shoot is detrimental. It hurts in a post offense, his defender can roam around and help on others, help on cutters, get on the post player's lap, jump passing lanes etc. He's limited offensively right now. He does play with such energy and is able to make some defensive plays, which other guards in the team currently don't do.
    i find this funny when ppl say this...every good rebounder has these things happen for them...and it's not as if every game he has multiple offensive rebounds off tips...many times when he sees aldridge going for the fadeaway, he goes to the rim for the rebound...im confused as to why ANYONE who rebounds is a bad thing....especially point guards who can better control pace...every great rebounding point guard has had it considered a great thing for them and the team, but somehow we manage to diminish it for murray...i swear the kid can have a 50 point game with a triple double and ppl will say it's not that great because triple doubles have no impact, and he didnt make enugh jumpers for the 50 point game

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop is going to continue to rest guys and throw away games I would like to see White start and get 30 minutes in one of these rest games. The reason for this is that I would like to get a good idea of White's strengths and weaknesses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is terrible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have little doubt that White would be better than Forbes, Paul or Fifty Mills, and probably better than Murray.

White is like an old, slow, washed up, unathletic, broken down homeless man's Donovan Mitc .

Or basically a 6'3.5" Kyle Anderson with a bigger head and a willingness to shoot slow, lean back threes.

That would be a step up for the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have little doubt that White would be better than Forbes, Paul or Fifty Mills, and probably better than Murray.

White is like an old, slow, washed up, unathletic, broken down homeless man's Donovan Mitc .

Or basically a 6'3.5" Kyle Anderson with a bigger head and a willingness to shoot slow, lean back threes.

That would be a step up for the Spurs.
    i would like to see him more because your definition of white is laughable.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his rebound numbers are also misleading for a fan who just boxscores games and doesn't watch them. Sometimes he's been known to try to tip his own misses 2 or 3 times, ending up with a misleading number of offensive rebounds. Some defensive rebounds are just snatched while a big could also have gotten it. Still not to take away from the fact he's aggressive as a rebounder, but it's not necessarily something that is making a difference.

I agree that his inability to shoot is detrimental. It hurts in a post offense, his defender can roam around and help on others, help on cutters, get on the post player's lap, jump passing lanes etc. He's limited offensively right now. He does play with such energy and is able to make some defensive plays, which other guards in the team currently don't do.
    I don't think there is anything misleading about the fact that Murray's length, athleticism and mindset has him being one of the best PG rebounders in the league, tbh.

Shots often fall better at home for the role players like Patty. This is why I'd like Murray to start on the road. He's better on defense and in the paint as well as pushing the fast break for needed easy transition buckets. Let Patty do his mini Matt Bonner space the floor thing at home in which the ball is moving around the horn better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there is anything misleading about the fact that Murray's length, athleticism and mindset has him being one of the best PG rebounders in the league, tbh.

Shots often fall better at home for the role players like Patty. This is why I'd like Murray to start on the road. He's better on defense and in the paint as well as pushing the fast break for needed easy transition buckets. Let Patty do his mini Matt Bonner space the floor thing at home in which the ball is moving around the hovrn better.
    With the way this season has gone, it's better to continue to let Murray start and just get on him with film afterwards if he didn't run a play properly that Pop wanted etc. Might as well continue developing his decision making. He does have good moments each game and is young/still improving... plus I have doubts Tony will be healthy for a sustained period. Spurs will not be very good until Kawhi and everyone else is back healthy anyways. This season has been derailed by injuries might as well develop Deounte.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the way this season has gone, it's better to continue to let Murray start and just get on him with film afterwards if he didn't run a play properly that Pop wanted etc. Might as well continue developing his decision making. He does have good moments each game and is young/still improving... plus I have doubts Tony will be healthy for a sustained period. Spurs will not be very good until Kawhi and everyone else is back healthy anyways. This season has been derailed by injuries might as well develop Deounte.
    Patty still needs a fair amount of minutes. We need players like him shooting on all cylinders come the playoffs. Demoralizing him won't allow for that. But my point is that Pop shouldn't be overusing him just because dude got paid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty still needs a fair amount of minutes. We need players like him shooting on all cylinders come the playoffs. Demoralizing him won't allow for that. But my point is that Pop shouldn't be overusing him just because dude got paid.
    I said nothing of Mills ...
    He shouldn't be demoralized if his minutes are reduced bc he's playing like . Just play better.
    But again I was talking about Deounte.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And this is why he should play over Patty, Forbes, and Murray.
    He's the only one of the group that can dribble a basketball. Literally.

Murray sometimes makes a quick move with the ball, but mostly he struggles to manage the ball, especially when pressed. Also, he can't finish at the rim or shoot. But mainly it's the "not a good dribbler" thing. It's maddening.

Patty can barely move with the ball at this point and asking him to deliver a pass properly is a non-starter.

Forbes is an great shooter some nights, but he can't direct the flow of offense. Can't be relied on for point guard duties.

White HAS to be our 2nd PG because the guys mechanically, physically cannot handle the rock.
    u guys are exaggerating big time....murray can dribble really well, he just needs more awareness in traffic...but scouts had his ballhandling as elite...he just doesnt showcase his moves playing under pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100% correct...if now we are gonna be in a position where Tony either s the bed, or is injured in the playoffs, and Patty already doesnt perform well in the post-season, so we will NEED murray to be ready, and with the reduced minutes and role he has now, i dont think Pop is putting him in the position to succeed WHEN we end up needing him in the playoffs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100% correct...if now we are gonna be in a position where Tony either s the bed, or is injured in the playoffs, and Patty already doesnt perform well in the post-season, so we will NEED murray to be ready, and with the reduced minutes and role he has now, i dont think Pop is putting him in the position to succeed WHEN we end up needing him in the playoffs...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still confident Paul can be a prototypical 3 and D type, but like most he'd likely look a lot better playing off of a play maker, as opposed to spare parts. We saw this with Forbes last season. Even though he didn't shoot it well in a small sample size, it was obvious he could be a versatile, volume 40% 3-point shooter.

That being said, the White pick never made sense and makes even less if Paul and to a lesser extent Murray are going to be ahead of him no matter how they play. It's not like White is a typical rookie; he's 23 and thought to have a relatively polished game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That being said, the White pick never made sense and makes even less if Paul and to a lesser extent Murray are going to be ahead of him no matter how they play. It's not like White is a typical rookie; he's 23 and thought to have a relatively polished game.
    Blossomgame was the best player drafted by SA in the last draft

Thread Information