Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chip Engelland should be fired on the spot for his failure with Murray. Biggest need for the team in years and he still can't shoot better than a 15 year old pickup player in the ghetto

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chip Engelland should be fired on the spot for his failure with Murray. Biggest need for the team in years and he still can't shoot better than a 15 year old pickup player in the ghetto
    Uh, I highly doubt that has to do with Chip. His track record speaks for itself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest failure? Lmao! The second season is barely halfway over... The guy is 21...and ppl are already writing him off as worthless... The guy is the best pg on the team as far as I'm concerned... His defense is top notch... His only issue is getting the respect and consistent playing time others at his position does... That sort of thing affects players his age... Parker isn't a game changer anymore... We know what we will get from Parker at this age and it won't be enough to beat the Dubs or most other contenders... This is something we KNOW... but Murray WILL be that game changer that gets to the rim at will and opens up the beautiful game if we just give him the chance... It is unreasonable to expect him to be great at the start of this season when he barely played last year, only played in the playoffs when Parker went down... Had a short off-season where he was benched in summer league because of a pending trade...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might have the most spoiled fans in bball. 5th best record in the league, season still not started yet in my mind.
    5th best record in a 1 team league..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest failure? Lmao! The second season is barely halfway over... The guy is 21...and ppl are already writing him off as worthless... The guy is the best pg on the team as far as I'm concerned... His defense is top notch... His only issue is getting the respect and consistent playing time others at his position does... That sort of thing affects players his age... Parker isn't a game changer anymore... We know what we will get from Parker at this age and it won't be enough to beat the Dubs or most other contenders... This is something we KNOW... but Murray WILL be that game changer that gets to the rim at will and opens up the beautiful game if we just give him the chance... It is unreasonable to expect him to be great at the start of this season when he barely played last year, only played in the playoffs when Parker went down... Had a short off-season where he was benched in summer league because of a pending trade...
    I can appreciate you're a fanboy, but seriously? That's his only issue?

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never called him worthless. I like him. But I've seen college freshman become better shooters their sop re season, light years better in shooting and form an confidence than Murray is now, with an NBA mega million dollar staff. Just saying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never called him worthless. I like him. But I've seen college freshman become better shooters their sop re season, light years better in shooting and form an confidence than Murray is now, with an NBA mega million dollar staff. Just saying.
    U guys make it seem like shooting is the end all be all...Giannis STILL can't shoot, and he might be MVP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can appreciate you're a fanboy, but seriously? That's his only issue?
    When I say only issue, I mean with regards to him showing improvement... I really feel like if he plays more and is given a real consistent role and minutes, he will start to grow faster instead of maybe playing him 10 minutes one game, 20 the next, then benching another... Even when he plays great and patty plays horrid, he is benched for patty... He isn't rewarded for good play, while others are for bad play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U guys make it seem like shooting is the end all be all...Giannis STILL can't shoot, and he might be MVP
    He never will, unless he learns to shoot someday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He never will, unless he learns to shoot someday.
    So I guess in ur book Kyle Korver is better than Giannis...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5th best record in a 1 team league..
    Better than 25th.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No he cant dribble or pass either

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think people jumped the gun with Murray because of combination of Spurs' unprecedented hyping of a prospect, their track record of finding gems, his physical tools and a few early flashes. Reality is, there isn't so much as a sure fire starter in terms of comparisons for his type and Smart (converted to wing), Carter-Williams, Dunn, Mudiay, Payton, Exum, were all more hyped variations.

I think he was taken out of action because he was part of the package that would have landed Kyrie. they didn't want to further torpedo his value as he was looking abysmal in SL by the the time the trade rumors started to swirl.

As for improvements he sure does seem to be too much of a talker than a walker judging by his
    look-at-me-I'm-hard-at-work
    Instagram timeline.

Just gotta show more patience with him as the point guard is the most difficult position to master in this league. I wouldn't throw him for a pu-pu platter, but I would definitely move him for second tier PGs like Kemba Walker if the opportunity presents itself..

Due in part to Spurs' (waning) mystique, he might have more value than his type otherwise would. If Hornets decide to move Walker in the off season and aren't dead set on attaching a bloated contract with it, I actually think Mills, Murray, 1st, would have a shot. That's the standard solid veteran, prospect, pick package for a star. PG is also the most saturated position in the league, which could depress his value some.

People generally focus on value, while discounting the financial aspect. They're likely have to overpay to retain him and even if they don't, his next contract probably sends their non playoff, limited upside team into the tax. Mills-Murray makes for a cost effective PG rotation.

Cho has also done some bizarre things, like turn down 4 1sts from Celtics for 9th pick in '15, which he used on Kaminsky, who had 3rd big upside. Also, trade the 22nd pick in '16 for Belinelli, when the league had clearly moved beyond giving up 1sts for middling veterans.

Last edited by TD 21; 01-18-2018 at 07:04 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think people jumped the gun with Murray because of combination of Spurs' unprecedented hyping of a prospect, their track record of finding gems, his physical tools and a few early flashes. Reality is, there isn't so much as a sure fire starter in terms of comparisons for his type and Smart (converted to wing), Carter-Williams, Dunn, Mudiay, Payton, Exum, were all more hyped variations.

Due in part to Spurs' (waning) mystique, he might have more value than his type otherwise would. If Hornets decide to move Walker in the off season and aren't dead set on attaching a bloated contract with it, I actually think Mills, Murray, 1st, would have a shot. That's the standard solid veteran, prospect, pick package for a star. PG is also the most saturated position in the league, which could depress his value some.

People generally focus on value, while discounting the financial aspect. They're likely have to overpay to retain him and even if they don't, his next contract probably sends their non playoff, limited upside team into the tax. Mills-Murray makes for a cost effective PG rotation.

Cho has also done some bizarre things, like turn down 4 1sts from Celtics for 9th pick in '15, which he used on Kaminsky, who had 3rd big upside. Also, trade the 22nd pick in '16 for Belinelli, when the league had clearly moved beyond giving up 1sts for middling veterans.

Yep, not to mention that this pick could actually end up being in the low 20s as we are about to take on the hardest remaining schedule in the league, possibly without Leonard for the entirety of it..

Teams usually prefer to not trade their star/marquee player within the conference unless there is a package that blows them away.. Out West, everybody is set at the point guard point but us. the Spurs have the best combination of need and decent-ish assets to pull this off. Walker's profile/pedigree is still pretty low around the league, I think he could be gettable for that haul should the Hornets pivot to to another rebuild, which they should do..And of course the conservative and "archaic idiots" of our FO should be open to it..

Update: there it is..

Last edited by spursistan; 01-19-2018 at 11:42 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I guess in ur book Kyle Korver is better than Giannis...
    lol no, son. I'm just saying that not being able to shoot is a huge handicap that hinders even a freak like Giannis. Shooting is the most important skill in basketball. You can literally be only good at shooting and you may find yourself a spot on a team, you can't say that about any other skill.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, not to mention that this pick could actually end up being in the low 20s as we are about to take on the hardest remaining schedule in the league, possibly without Leonard for the entirety of it..

Teams usually prefer to not trade their star/marquee player within the conference unless there is a package that blows them away.. Out West, everybody is set at the point guard point but us. the Spurs have the best combination of need and decent-ish assets to pull this off. Walker's profile/pedigree is still pretty low around the league, I think he could be gettable for that haul should the Hornets pivot to to another rebuild, which they should do..And of course the conservative and "archaic idiots" of our FO should be open to it..

Update: there it is..

I'm concerned with them playing the culture / loyalty game with Mills and to a lesser extent Gay. Even though the latter just arrived, a big part of the selling point was to play meaningful games for the first time in his career. Although he could seek a buyout and hook up with someone like Pelicans, who desperately need a big wing. Granted, they were supposedly open to trading culture carrier (think this would also be a selling point to a team about to embark on a re-build), took less to stay Green, so why not a less important piece?

It's so rare that this many things like up (Walker and Williams are known as two good guys). No one should have more motivation than them to pull this off and anything short of that will solidify that they're no longer serious about contending for a championship.

Nuggets are the concern out West. Barton, Mudiay, Faried, Arthur for Walker, Williams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm concerned with them playing the culture / loyalty game with Mills and to a lesser extent Gay. Even though the latter just arrived, a big part of the selling point was to play meaningful games for the first time in his career. Although he could seek a buyout and hook up with someone like Pelicans, who desperately need a big wing. Granted, they were supposedly open to trading culture carrier (think this would also be a selling point to a team about to embark on a re-build), took less to stay Green, so why not a less important piece?

It's so rare that this many things like up (Walker and Williams are known as two good guys). No one should have more motivation than them to pull this off and anything short of that will solidify that they're no longer serious about contending for a championship.

Nuggets are the concern out West. Barton, Mudiay, Faried, Arthur for Walker, Williams.
    Because Gay just arrived, I almost think he is less likely to be moved than anybody. Sign a guy... he gets injured... trade him... That doesn't sound like the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because Gay just arrived, I almost think he is less likely to be moved than anybody. Sign a guy... he gets injured... trade him... That doesn't sound like the Spurs.
    He might not be re-signed anyway and just like the Aldridge situation, this is a new day. Spurs were officially welcomed to the real NBA (as opposed to the utopian existence they enjoyed throughout the Duncan era) with that. Culture, loyalty, etc. is great, but talent wins and they don't have enough of it.

This might be tough for them internally, but externally it's not going to hurt their reputation. This is how the business works and they can no longer be immune to it, if they're serious about trying to contend for championships. If nothing else, just in case he might have a wandering eye, this would clinch Leonard's extending.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as ive said for a while now, "trade fatty" is the new "trade porker"

not gonna happen. just like all the old "trade bonner, blair, neal" for an allstar threads we used to get

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He might not be re-signed anyway and just like the Aldridge situation, this is a new day. Spurs were officially welcomed to the real NBA (as opposed to the utopian existence they enjoyed throughout the Duncan era) with that. Culture, loyalty, etc. is great, but talent wins and they don't have enough of it.

This might be tough for them internally, but externally it's not going to hurt their reputation. This is how the business works and they can no longer be immune to it, if they're serious about trying to contend for championships. If nothing else, just in case he might have a wandering eye, this would clinch Leonard's extending.
    Hey, I'm on your side. But I will continue to doubt that PATFO are - until they actually do something to demonstrate that the leopard has changed its spots.

But isn't it Rudy who has the option next year and not PATFO?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, I'm on your side. But I will continue to doubt that PATFO are - until they actually do something to demonstrate that the leopard has changed its spots.

But isn't it Rudy who has the option next year and not PATFO?
    Like I said, I'm skeptical too. They've got to be realistic. I know they wouldn't want to move Mills unless it were for a Paul or an Irving (unlike Parker, who they wouldn't move under any cir stance), but the PG's who are better than Walker aren't attainable.

He does, but that was just in case he looked close to finished or suffered another significant injury. Short of that, he was more than likely always going to opt out because he can at least recoup the MLE for multiple years.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    murray should be starting. give him some consistent PT.

I may or may not care. monkeypunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might have the most spoiled fans in bball. 5th best record in the league, season still not started yet in my mind.
    Seriously. Other teams fans would kill to be where we are and we have the best coach in the league yet some dimwits want to about him and where we are.

Rather have Tyron Lue, Dantoni, Walton? GTFO if you can't see out of your own ass, you trolls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You have a very good point with Denver. They are desperate and possibly worse when it comes to PG play. They got Millsap over the summer so one knows that the FO is at least serious about trying to improve their roster and I also read at some point they wanted to take advantage of Jokic's last few cheap season (or seasons?)... anyways, I would not rule them out. They have assets and have pulled off some weird deals for Lyles and Plumlee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray needs to start

Thread Information