Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most spursfans dont realize the spurs are a small market team spurred on by two number one picks, and a one time scouting advantage from foreign leagues. Once you took away the spurs lottery picks and their ability to get above average talent from overseas we are still just a small market team. I am willing to give tank buford a chance, but like other's have said the spurs are going to try to bleed the corpses dry of kawhi, LMA Gasol, parker, and mills and wait out the warriors, houston, etc.

Not alot this team can do if (no one (durant, cp3, lebron) don't want to come and the warriors keep getting lucky breaks. They probably will muddle along this season and hope to try again next year.
    Championships are not guaranteed, but even us armchair GMs saw this coming. The FO made moves that didn't help them remain compe ive with the top teams. It's indefensible.

You're definitely right about the small market factor though. This team is surely going to be muddling for awhile. Between being just good enough to make the playoffs and draft late in the 1st, and players not wanting to sign here, it looks like 2008-2012 all over again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Championships are not guaranteed, but even us armchair GMs saw this coming. The FO made moves that didn't help them remain compe ive with the top teams. It's indefensible.

You're definitely right about the small market factor though. This team is surely going to be muddling for awhile. Between being just good enough to make the playoffs and draft late in the 1st, and players not wanting to sign here, it looks like 2008-2012 all over again.
    It is defensible. It’s called culture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you really can't blame RC for not being able to replace Duncan, tbh...

They did a bang up job when the first big 3 of Tim, Manu and Bowen broke up in bringing in Kawhi, and we were able to win another championship...

Replacing Tim and eventually Manu is just much more difficult, tbh... LMA obviously is nowhere near the player, etc...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Presti kinda a big reason they were successful back when too? Didn't he find Parker and Ginobili?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Presti kinda a big reason they were successful back when too? Didn't he find Parker and Ginobili?
    He found Parker but he wasn't around when the team drafted Ginobili .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you really can't blame RC for not being able to replace Duncan, tbh...

They did a bang up job when the first big 3 of Tim, Manu and Bowen broke up in bringing in Kawhi, and we were able to win another championship...

Replacing Tim and eventually Manu is just much more difficult, tbh... LMA obviously is nowhere near the player, etc...
    You can't blame him for not being able to replace TD, but that's not what I expected. He let go of more talented players to sign his culture scrubs (a new term I've just made up).

If the Spurs waited it out, that may have been OK without the egregious contracts he's re-signed certain players to, and the bad choices to let more talented players walk and overpay worse players for their "culture."

Like I posted in another thread, these are my thoughts on what he's done - Guys that I thought were pretty good last year in Dedmon, Simmons, Lee, the Spurs just let go and kept the guys I thought were ing trash - Mills, Gasol. Gasol, I didn't have a problem bringing back for one more year as he was still under contract, but apart from that, Spurs let all of their talent go to re-sign and massively overpay a culture scrub.

Patty Mills = culture scrub. RC Buford should be canned for his work in the off-season. Kawhi, if he can get healthy again should either bolt or ask for a trade. The Spurs can keep all their culture scrubs.

Talent wins. Culture by itself gets you nowhere - you can still finish last without talent if culture is the only thing you've got. TD carried this front office in his prime, and I feel he should have had more Championships. He was an unbelievable player. The Spurs got lucky with Manu and Tony. If not for that luck, they would have egregiously failed TD and his incredible talent, work ethic and desire/determination to win.

You can see it now with Manu, even though he's old, that talent still shines through even though his body is older and he's not as athletic as he once was, but when his body cooperates, he still s on most of the garbage the FO has signed/re-signed over the off-season. It's not because he's old and wise, it's because he had great talent and still has a little bit left. He's also got a great will to win too.

Patty Mills' pathetic at ude of "uh, I got paid for what I did before" doesn't sound like a player that is upset at his play or even has much desire/will to win. Makes it an even worse signing if he doesn't care (I'm not saying he doesn't, just saying his blasé at ude about it doesn't seem like it's cutting him up).

Spurs need to stop with these culture scrubs they keep signing. Get some real ing players. GET OVER YOURSELF SPURS FRONT OFFICE.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't blame him for not being able to replace TD, but that's not what I expected. He let go of more talented players to sign his culture scrubs (a new term I've just made up).

If the Spurs waited it out, that may have been OK without the egregious contracts he's re-signed certain players to, and the bad choices to let more talented players walk and overpay worse players for their "culture."

Like I posted in another thread, these are my thoughts on what he's done - Guys that I thought were pretty good last year in Dedmon, Simmons, Lee, the Spurs just let go and kept the guys I thought were ing trash - Mills, Gasol. Gasol, I didn't have a problem bringing back for one more year as he was still under contract, but apart from that, Spurs let all of their talent go to re-sign and massively overpay a culture scrub.

Patty Mills = culture scrub. RC Buford should be canned for his work in the off-season. Kawhi, if he can get healthy again should either bolt or ask for a trade. The Spurs can keep all their culture scrubs.

Talent wins. Culture by itself gets you nowhere - you can still finish last without talent if culture is the only thing you've got. TD carried this front office in his prime, and I feel he should have had more Championships. He was an unbelievable player. The Spurs got lucky with Manu and Tony. If not for that luck, they would have egregiously failed TD and his incredible talent, work ethic and desire/determination to win.

You can see it now with Manu, even though he's old, that talent still shines through even though his body is older and he's not as athletic as he once was, but when his body cooperates, he still s on most of the garbage the FO has signed/re-signed over the off-season. It's not because he's old and wise, it's because he had great talent and still has a little bit left. He's also got a great will to win too.

Patty Mills' pathetic at ude of "uh, I got paid for what I did before" doesn't sound like a player that is upset at his play or even has much desire/will to win. Makes it an even worse signing if he doesn't care (I'm not saying he doesn't, just saying his blasé at ude about it doesn't seem like it's cutting him up).

Spurs need to stop with these culture scrubs they keep signing. Get some real ing players. GET OVER YOURSELF SPURS FRONT OFFICE.
    You not smart

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously you think Dedmon and Simmons suck as their games as based mostly on their athletic ability and not smarts.

I understand you're against talent and athletic players who don't have much skills or fundamentals, but there is plenty of smart, nonathletic guys outside of the NBA. A lot of them just can't hang with the athleticism IMO. Even if there's more skilled players outside of the NBA like you've said before, you think they can hang with NBA caliber athletes on a consistent basis? You think the whole league is a sham based on hype?

I feel like I can out-shoot a lot of NBA players, but I have zero athleticism and am relatively short compared to the average NBA player. I just can't match up with someone that's super athletic like that, but may have poor skills/fundamentals. Unfortunately, IMO that athletic ability still can take some players further than someone that doesn't have it.

Care to elaborate on your takes of the NBA not having the best players?

I guess you could use Stockton as an example, but he was highly skilled PG. I'm a SF in skill set and overall nowhere near as skilled as Stockton. I also don't like playing dirty such as Stockton played.
    Last edited by Ice009; 01-22-2018 at 01:25 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasting the asset that was Jonathan Simmons' restricted status. He played it so wrong it was Vlade-esque. Simmons isn't a star, but he can get to the rim, something no other Spurs guard tonight could do.
    this is something that spurstalk basketball analysts will never understand

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pin this man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should we start a GoFundMe for dabom's internet service? I'm kind of worried here man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should we start a GoFundMe for dabom's internet service? I'm kind of worried here man.
    god damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically they set the franchise 2-3 years back with last off-season and it could be a decade or so if it results in Kawhi bolting or asking for a trade as the team continues on a path of slow implosion .

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was sleeping. It's the morning now. The .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly the greatest thing to happen to Pop and RC is the David Robinson injury

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes tons of GM's would have the Spurs winning far more than 35 games so far with our best player benching himself all year long..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes tons of GM's would have the Spurs winning far more than 35 games so far with our best player benching himself all year long..
    Well only one GM has had his team play an easier schedule and that's Washington. The tough part is only beginning and we're already 10-13 in our last 23 games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well only one GM has had his team play an easier schedule and that's Washington. The tough part is only beginning and we're already 10-13 in our last 23 games
    Okay and if Tim Duncan in his prime went down for the season, the Spurs record would have been what? Robinson went down for the year in 1996 and the Spurs won 20 games.. Perspective.. You don't have a franchise player and you are not very good.. Welcome to the NBA..

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fire Jason Garrett first

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who can fire him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who can fire him?
    pop

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    If the Bulls clowns (Gar and Pax) still have JOB's, Buford's job is secure. I just don't understand the direction the Spurs are headed, last offseason was a disaster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay and if Tim Duncan in his prime went down for the season, the Spurs record would have been what? Robinson went down for the year in 1996 and the Spurs won 20 games.. Perspective.. You don't have a franchise player and you are not very good.. Welcome to the NBA..
    Terrible logic since the Warriors and Rockets don't miss a beat when theirs miss games. That's because their front offices are light years agead

Thread Information