Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    you could have said that when Timmy retired...
    THAT was the end of an era... this one has been a long time coming.
    True, but now that Tony (and Manu) are on their last legs, on the outside looking in, they are the last two legends of your dynasty. Feels like when Kobe and 0.4 retired.

I'll be interested to see Murray's growth. Tony took the reigns when he was what, 19? As much crap Spur fans give him, I say he's the 3rd best Spur of all time. For him to willingly concede his spot is commendable. Kobe wouldn't have done that

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker was not playing well. I don’t think Murray is a good point guard, but he gives a little youth and athleticism, which may help with the defense and hustle. Unfortunately, Murray’s offense is abysmal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ch-21st-career

Also, when asked if Murray starting is a permament decision, Pop answered "we'll see."

I think Murray is just as much on the spot as Tony is.
    Unfortunately, it is a pretty clear indication that Tony is determined to return next season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Parker can be traded for Kemba Walker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately, it is a pretty clear indication that Tony is determined to return next season.
    I don't think it's unfortunate. I know for sure there were so many people here who thought Manu had to retire and were upset when he came back, and he's been one of the few bright spots this season.

Parker (still not 100%) as a backup PG isnt the worst thing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Parker can be traded for Kemba Walker.
    I'm thinking Pop's grooming TP for when they trade Patty n maybe Dejounte for Kemba

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm thinking Pop's grooming TP for when they trade Patty n maybe Dejounte for Kemba
    That's why PATFO signed Patty for so much..so the salaries can match when they ship him.
    Wonder how Jordan feels about Patty?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew this day would eventually come. I'm just not fully prepared. I'm gonna think of all the good times Tony Parker brought me as a starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah whatever, this shouldve happened in the 2015 season when he was the worst point guard in the playoffs. You start Joseph against the clippers or any other point guard and I promise you they get out of the first round.
    That may have been the worst Parker's ever looked in a Spurs uniform, Ginobili too come to think of it, but he bounced back the following year and had a decent season considering how bad he looked in the Clippers series and playing internationally.

The timing of this benching is facinating to me, why now? He played poorly last year for games at a time and Mills was probably better (up until the post season) swapping Mills in for Parker made plenty of sense then but Pop chooses to give the keys to Murray who despite being a good defender and rebounder is an poor offensive player is just odd. Then there's the Parker, Mills, Manu, bench trio-thats going to be an adventure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m actually okay with this move. I just don’t like what the second unit looks like now. Parker, Mills, and Forbes playing together is horrible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That may have been the worst Parker's ever looked in a Spurs uniform, Ginobili too come to think of it, but he bounced back the following year and had a decent season considering how bad he looked in the Clippers series and playing internationally.

The timing of this benching is facinating to me, why now? He played poorly last year for games at a time and Mills was probably better (up until the post season) swapping Mills in for Parker made plenty of sense then but Pop chooses to give the keys to Murray who despite being a good defender and rebounder is an poor offensive player is just odd. Then there's the Parker, Mills, Manu, bench trio-thats going to be an adventure.
    It's perplexing but Tony has not been playing well. He has gotten injured again since he came back from the injury... if he's not 100% and will need rest games it adds another layer of unpredictability to keep changing lineups all the time. Tony's body itself may not be able to handle a starting level load anymore. It has to be at least a factor they consider.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is my thinking. The timing of this is just odd, it feels more like a showcase for Murray who could be apart of a theoritical trade along with Mills for Kemba.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no doubt about it, unless his body tells him NO MAS with another severe injury it's obvious he doesn't want to retire. He hopefully comes back on a very small deal. I actually can picture Manu retiring and Tony taking his spot on the bench but they really need to ship off Patty Mills at this point. A future bench of let's say Tony, Patty, and someone like White is going to be gross.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is my thinking. The timing of this is just odd, it feels more like a showcase for Murray who could be apart of a theoritical trade along with Mills for Kemba.
    good point.
    One can hope... and yet... can't hope... it's such a disappointment when the Spurs stand pat with what isn't working.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's unfortunate. I know for sure there were so many people here who thought Manu had to retire and were upset when he came back, and he's been one of the few bright spots this season.

Parker (still not 100%) as a backup PG isnt the worst thing.
    Parker at his current level makes his return unfortunate. If he can elevate his level of play to even his '16 - '17 level that would not be the worst thing.

I wish Manu had retired. I think that clinging to the past - in the form of Tony, Manu, Pau and even Rudy and Mills - is only delaying the inevitable. If Kawhi had not gone down "indefinitely", it is doubtful that Pop would make this move now.

For almost 20 years, Timmy's greatness masked the fact that the Spurs draft/pipeline did not deliver enough rotation-level players - not transient re-treads. The team needed to bring in rotation-level players every +/- 3. Since we have not, however, Pop has been scrambling all season to find out if we have any rotation-level players/eventual starters among Forbes, BPaul and Bertans. (I think Pop believes that Murray is the PG of the future until/unless Murray proves him wrong.)

I believe our best case scenario is for Tony to bounce back in his role as back-up PG, and for Mills to be relieved of the PG duties and revert to being the effective SG he was prior to the deluge of injuries forced him into the starting PG role.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect this news to dominate all the national sports shows today. Even the Super Bowl takes a backseat to this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no doubt about it, unless his body tells him NO MAS with another severe injury it's obvious he doesn't want to retire. He hopefully comes back on a very small deal. I actually can picture Manu retiring and Tony taking his spot on the bench but they really need to ship off Patty Mills at this point. A future bench of let's say Tony, Patty, and someone like White is going to be gross.
    Tony Duran?! Nunca! Not without some persuasion from PATFO...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Tony will be back in the starting lineup soon. LMA needs Tony feeding him the ball in the right spots. I think Tony can be a liability in some ways, but he does know how to run Pop's offense. I'm all for giving Murray a shot, but so far he hasn't shown me he's got the point guard skills to run an NBA offense effectively. I like his size, athleticism, rebounding, speed...he has most of the tools, but there's a special knack that a good point guard has for making everyone around him better. I haven't seen that yet from Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is not going to end well

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i’ve been for tony not starting for a really long time.

brought it up before though, when you do that he doesn’t fit off the bench with manu/kyle/rudy/patty.

trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Washed up knows washed up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tony handled this with more class than all his ST haters could have ever imagined tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i’ve been for tony not starting for a really long time.

brought it up before though, when you do that he doesn’t fit off the bench with manu/kyle/rudy/patty.

trade him.
    Damn gambit your sig is....mesmerising...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tony handled this with more class than all his ST haters could have ever imagined tbh

Absolutely.

Thread Information