Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen has done pretty well, Spurs horrible offseason is the final nail in the coffin:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...lling/dt2erfe/
    I think the injury is the most dangerous thing they have encountered. The rest is a hot take.

The Spurs tried really hard to get Kyrie Irving. LMA and Murray tanked their value and they couldn't involve a 3rd party they needed to take Lamarcus in (since CLE didn't want him). Even Danny was rumored to have been involved in trades since CLE wanted him. I believe Boston was forced to increase their own offers bc they were in a bidding war with the Spurs (among others probably)... I think including Danny was necessary once Boston offered Crowder.. but San Antonio could not overcome the value of the BKYN pick. Do you think greedy Ainge would have traded that pick out of the goodness of his heart? Nope.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol is 36 this is not 2009 Gasol, he's an over the hill veteran on a generous contract. Gay was coming off an injury that tends to end careers. Spurs need to sign contributing players under 30, not dinosaurs and injury prone players.
    Generous, sure. But not wildly overpaid like Mills. It makes no sense to conflate the two contracts.

Pau's deal was also mostly a necessary evil. He opted out to give the Spurs a chance at a guy like Chris Paul and the Spurs did right by him with an extra year and a golden parachute for 2019-2020. From a cutthroat business perspective it was an overpay. But that's how the Spurs work and their reputation is worth much more than an extra couple of million in cap space. Operating over the cap makes much more sense given how the Spurs' contracts are structured anyway with the cap projected to start shrinking.

Which contributing players under 30 could the Spurs have signed instead? Those don't come cheap.

The Spurs' offseason moves were mostly win-now. One would think Kawhi would appreciate moves like that more than moves for the future. Bird in the hand and such.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the ONE guy who broke the LaMarcus to San Antonio news 6 months before it actually happened.
    looking back that was a long time ago... I don't remember details about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the ONE guy who broke the LaMarcus to San Antonio news 6 months before it actually happened.
    Aldridge was on his way to Phoenix or something tho until he had a 2nd discussion with Pop, no? Idk if Aldridge knew 6 months before it happened he was going to SA. Lots of guys can make bold predictions based on rumors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs better try to fix all the they did during the offseason. Trade Tony if necessary.
    THIS is the kind of desperation they need to show.

No one but Kawhi should be untradeable.. (LMA can't bc he just signed an extension).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Generous, sure. But not wildly overpaid like Mills. It makes no sense to conflate the two contracts.

Pau's deal was also mostly a necessary evil. He opted out to give the Spurs a chance at a guy like Chris Paul and the Spurs did right by him with an extra year and a golden parachute for 2019-2020. From a cutthroat business perspective it was an overpay. But that's how the Spurs work and their reputation is worth much more than an extra couple of million in cap space. Operating over the cap makes much more sense given how the Spurs' contracts are structured anyway with the cap projected to start shrinking.

Which contributing players under 30 could the Spurs have signed instead? Those don't come cheap.

The Spurs' offseason moves were mostly win-now. One would think Kawhi would appreciate moves like that more than moves for the future. Bird in the hand and such.
    I don't understand this. That "way of working" and reputation hasn't worked, has quite likely alienated its franchise player, drove away young talent (Simmons, Dedmon), and has failed to attract key FA targets (KD, CP3, etc...).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cut this cancer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge was on his way to Phoenix or something tho until he had a 2nd discussion with Pop, no? Idk if Aldridge knew 6 months before it happened he was going to SA. Lots of guys can make bold predictions based on rumors
    Jalen Rose said it his podcast with Jacoby in February of 2015 (5 months before FA started).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s almost like Aldridge was keen on the Spurs way before free agency but the Suns sold him during negotiations. Of course there’s going to be wavering.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, there is always a problem when a family member like this uncle gets involved. (Ref: LA and Ball) If the family tie is really tight, then a young player is likely to listen. There isn't anything the FO can do to make SA a popular destination for prime free agents. LMA is the closest the Spurs have ever come and he had a lot of Texas ties. And we don't have any really good trade bait to bring in another really good player to complement Kwahi and LMA.

So we may be in for some very lean years like most teams go through. The wonder of the Spurs is our 50+ win streak that will probably never be broken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we are so screwed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THIS is the kind of desperation they need to show.

No one but Kawhi should be untradeable.. (LMA can't bc he just signed an extension).
    Even Kyle?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen Rose said it his podcast with Jacoby in February of 2015 (5 months before FA started).
    Yea but I guess my point was the Spurs were rumored to be on his list well before FA started. He guessed correctly, but I don't think he had any sort of inside info on the matter. Aldridge said Phoenix was on the top of his list towards the end, but ultimately he went with SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, there is always a problem when a family member like this uncle gets involved. (Ref: LA and Ball) If the family tie is really tight, then a young player is likely to listen. There isn't anything the FO can do to make SA a popular destination for prime free agents. LMA is the closest the Spurs have ever come and he had a lot of Texas ties. And we don't have any really good trade bait to bring in another really good player to complement Kwahi and LMA.

So we may be in for some very lean years like most teams go through. The wonder of the Spurs is our 50+ win streak that will probably never be broken.
    50 win season probably ends this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ST cliff jumping is a harbinger of things to come when the zombie apocalypse arrives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s almost like Aldridge was keen on the Spurs way before free agency but the Suns sold him during negotiations. Of course there’s going to be wavering.
    I think he was keen on being in Texas with his family. But he even said he didn't know how he would fit, because he likes to shoot the ball and have the ball, and he knows we were sort of in that beautiful game type style.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    50 win season probably ends this year
    I think the Spurs gut it out but the winning road record streak is likely toast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs gut it out but the winning road record streak is likely toast.
    They need to go 20-14 the rest of the way while having a very very tough schedule. Hopefully they can do it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone tell me why the 50+ wins matters?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone tell me why the 50+ wins matters?
    It’s all we have left at this point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ST cliff jumping is a harbinger of things to come when the zombie apocalypse arrives.
    Coming off a relatively recent le and two 60 win seasons and we have one injury-plagued year and ST goes all to pieces. God knows what this place will be like when the Spurs aren't making the playoffs regularly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s all we have left at this point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree with you.
    I wasn't a fan at all of the Pau contract but the Spurs don't have any other quality big outside of Lamarcus if they didn't reup Pau. He did opt out of an option to accommodate RC trying to sign a FA. It didn't work out and he was rewarded. It's unfortunate his contract is that long but he has played well enough to justify that contract. It is unsurprising bc Pau is a HOF caliber player who like Manu has high BBIQ, passing skill and some shooting to complement other players really well and make others around him better. And he's been a leader of teams b4.

Patty hasn't.... not a HOF caliber player, not someone who really should be a leader since he's such a scrub, and he's really not giving sufficient value for that deal. And is signed for 3 more. Now Tony might become a backup PG and they have Patty in an overbloated contract entrenched in. Heck Spurs drafted guards in consecutive seasons and their only way up is to develop if they aren't able to swing a trade right now for a PG. It's a pathetic situation with that Patty deal.

Thread Information