Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He hasn't gotten enough love or credit for the season he has had. Very few players can, as a single all star, carry a team into the playoffs. Aldridge has had very little help offensively. On different nights, different guys perhaps play well, but he plays with non shooters Anderson and Murray, they double, triple him sometimes... when he doesn't play with Anderson it's usually bc Pop has gone with super tiny midget ball and instead the Spurs suffer through a defensive challenge that Aldridge has to compensate for.
    “I feel like everything with me gets blown out of proportion,” he says. “I think it’s because I’m so quiet about things that people just run with anything they hear.”
    I bet teammate Kawhi Leonard feels the same.

Heading into the break, his 1,209 total points more than doubled the combined output from San Antonio’s second- and third-leading scorers. (The only other player in the league who can make a similar claim is LeBron James.)
    These quotes are from this nice piece about him:

Something that is not said there... his teammates love him. At least young teammates look up to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real problem is that the team isn't playing "Aldridge ball"; they are just using Aldridge as the first option with the roster they've had available. The team isn't and wasn't supposed to be built around LMA -- therefore, this was never a good time to make such a claim. That's where half of the ire against this thread came from. The other half comes from the fact that this was not a hot take but has been presented and defended as if it's some revolutionary idea other people only disagree with because they don't "get" it. It's actually a really worn out anti-postup take. We've been seeing this since people realized Al Jefferson wasn't a superstar many years ago.

As a bonus is the conflation with being able beat the Warriors in a series with being able to win a le in the three-point era. The Spurs damned sure would have been able to win a le last year had Durant and Curry fallen down a mine shaft or something. It's not about the "modern NBA"; it's about not being able to win a talent advantage with an insanely stacked team. They handled the other "modern" NBA team last year easily, and many folks thinking they would do so this year if they can get healthy and in sync. I can't imagine what sweeping claims DAF would be making if ST were around during the Jordan dynasty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem is that right now Spurs need him to be putting in those numbers. No one else can be consistent offensively and there are no alternatives but to play Aldridge ball. If you had alternatives then one can understand this point better but you don't.

Like I said, it's fine to be critical of his game in a vacuum. Kawhi has had some critics to his game, specially early on when he started to dominate the ball and go through a lot of Kawhobe phases. And I suspect if he were playing some critics would still brave the crowd with some hot takes. But when you don't have other options but to play Aldridge ball... meh.
    The thing is that I'm thinking more about the short term future. For this season we obviously have no choice but to keep playing Aldridger ball. For next season, if we really want to contend that will have to change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real problem is that the team isn't playing "Aldridge ball"; they are just using Aldridge as the first option with the roster they've had available. The team isn't and wasn't supposed to be built around LMA -- therefore, this was never a good time to make such a claim. That's where half of the ire against this thread came from. The other half comes from the fact that this was not a hot take but has been presented and defended as if it's some revolutionary idea other people only disagree with because they don't "get" it. It's actually a really worn out anti-postup take. We've been seeing this since people realized Al Jefferson wasn't a superstar many years ago.

As a bonus is the conflation with being able beat the Warriors in a series with being able to win a le in the three-point era. The Spurs damned sure would have been able to win a le last year had Durant and Curry fallen down a mine shaft or something. It's not about the "modern NBA"; it's about not being able to win a talent advantage with an insanely stacked team. They handled the other "modern" NBA team last year easily, and many folks thinking they would do so this year if they can get healthy and in sync. I can't imagine what sweeping claims DAF would be making if ST were around during the Jordan dynasty.
    [applause]

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It would be the Spurs need to play the triangle and trade David Robinson for a perimeter all-star player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be the Spurs need to play the triangle and trade David Robinson for a perimeter all-star player.
    in fact, the anomaly at the time was Michael Jordan, it was a game dominated by bigs (Admiral, Akeem, Shaq, Malone, Barkley, etc.)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in fact, the anomaly at the time was Michael Jordan, it was a game dominated by bigs (Admiral, Akeem, Shaq, Malone, Barkley, etc.)
    I agree I remember that era very well since that's the era I grew up in. I was just taking a jab at the mainstream hot take which is everybody has to play like the Warriors to win a championship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's true, but the Warriors are also anomalous and were built before the DPE era. It's gonna be hard to get another top-five player in free agency because of how much more their own teams can pay them. Teams that draft really well would potentially be at an advantage, but that's how it's supposed to be. Also some players would take less, but there's nothing you could have ever done about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's true, but the Warriors are also anomalous and were built before the DPE era. It's gonna be hard to get another top-five player in free agency because of how much more their own teams can pay them. Teams that draft really well would potentially be at an advantage, but that's how it's supposed to be. Also some players would take less, but there's nothing you could have ever done about that.
    yep.
    - Curry ankles getting healthy making its cost-benefit the best in sport history
    - Jerry West blocking klay - Love trade
    - Durant being FA in the year that the cap went up (not counting his obvious lack of compe iveness)

is a series of factors to get to what the golden state has become, really do not see happening again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This team might not be built around Aldridge, but it's not built around Kawhi either. It's just a very poorly designed roster in general.

And regarding the previous season, Aldridge didn't have the usage not the number of postup touches he has had this season. He was basically a borderline role player, or a distant 2 to Kawhi's clear cut number 1.

You may say "well, LA touches are going to go down when Kawhi comes back" and yeah, logic says it might slip a bit but not to the point where many may think. Anything coming from LA and Pop's mouth makes me believe that once Kawhi comes back they will try to keep feeding LA as much as possible and have him and Kawhi as a type of 1a/1b combo. What everyone figures is "well, that's a good thing dumbass" and I'm not so sure about that. And that's where you have my hot take, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real problem is that the team isn't playing "Aldridge ball"; they are just using Aldridge as the first option with the roster they've had available.
    Since Aldridge's arrival, they've been a slow paced, post/mid ranger heavy, 3-phobic offense and though it's not entirely his doing, those are all hallmarks of his game. To be clear: I'm not anti Aldridge or post up. On the contrary on both counts actually. I'm more concerned with doing whatever it takes to win a championship though.

As a bonus is the conflation with being able beat the Warriors in a series with being able to win a le in the three-point era. It's not about the "modern NBA"; it's about not being able to win a talent advantage with an insanely stacked team. They handled the other "modern" NBA team last year easily, and many folks thinking they would do so this year if they can get healthy and in sync.
    It's a combination of those 2 teams' talent advantage and style, the latter of which accentuates the former, the way Spurs' did in '12-'14.

At Spurs handing Rockets "easily" last season. I not only haven't heard a single person say they thought they'd do so this year, if healthy (outside of you, I presume; though I wouldn't put it past some of your ilk), but have heard a growing chorus who believe Rockets can beat Warriors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The two teams' talent advantage"

Even if you think Houston is more talented this year, that has nothing to do with the "modern" three-point era. It has to do with them adding a superstar to their roster.

I'm pretty sure there's another thread (or rather like a million other threads) around here complaining about that. Seems rather inappropriate to spam this one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like it's debatable that they're more talented. Again, it's a combination. A second all time play maker and another knockdown shooter, is partially responsible for them shooting even more 3s and making them at a higher rate.

Says the guy who brought it up.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strategy to beat Spurs in the playoffs double Aldridge often Spurs get swept

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We saw how Aldridge plays in the playoffs already without Kawhi... The dude is physically and mentally soft... He didn't even go down swinging... That's my biggest issue with him...

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We saw how Aldridge plays in the playoffs already without Kawhi... The dude is physically and mentally soft... He didn't even go down swinging... That's my biggest issue with him...
    The biggest issue in the playoffs will be how Murray responds since it will be him feeding Lamarcus the ball & his man double down on Lamarcus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did he choke agsinst okc or just regress to the mean? I mean, he was on fire the first few games, he was going to fall away at some stage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like it's debatable that they're more talented. Again, it's a combination. A second all time play maker and another knockdown shooter, is partially responsible for them shooting even more 3s and making them at a higher rate.

Says the guy who brought it up.
    People here really love to overcomplicate things.

Basketball is pretty simple: great playmakers + 3pt shooters = success > one injured star + ineffecient offense + scrubs = 1st round exit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn..needed every point of his 33 to pull away from the Santa Cruz Warriors..

Glad that he's eating but also handing out Ws for the team. He might be the happiest man on this squad right now ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know you will keep bumping this thread 'cause you are either a troll or a re (honestly don't know which, tbh) but just to don't have the other non-troll/re s posters confusing my point:

Dudes hear this out: I'M NOT BLAMING LA FOR OUR CURRENT RECORD, I KNOW THAT WITHOUT HIM THE SPURS WOULD BE A LOTTERY TEAM RIGHT NOW

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know you will keep bumping this thread 'cause you are either a troll or a re (honestly don't know which, tbh) but just to don't have the other non-troll/re s posters confusing my point:
    I know why you made this thread you inbred re . So you can bump it when the team predictably gets eliminated in the first round and you can look like nostradumbass.

They'll get knocked out, but it won't be because of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with this tbh LMA just isn't good enough to be the 1st option on a championship team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know why you made this thread you inbred re . So you can bump it when the team predictably gets eliminated in the first round and you can look like nostradumbass.

They'll get knocked out, but it won't be because of him.
    Nah son, it isn't about these playoffs. It isn't about LA playing well or bad either. It is about the team, when fully healthy, still not being good enough to go all the way if Aldridge is still getting around 30 to 40 touches per game on the post.

Thread Information