Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

You know it's sad when people would rather play for free than get paid to play in the LaVar league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he stalking kids?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't like him sending dms to players. it should be more professional but as always, i applaud lavar for his entrepreneurship and hope he can get JBA off the ground and be successful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $3,000-$10,000 a month? Is this for real? These dudes can go to college one year, turn pro and make millions. GTFO with dis bull .

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    i don't like him sending dms to players. it should be more professional but as always, i applaud lavar for his entrepreneurship and hope he can get JBA off the ground and be successful.
    This isn't "entrepreneurship," it's a joke. His sales pitch to players is a generic form DM. He even spelled one of the players' names wrong, which just shows how much effort he's putting into this.

Meanwhile, the Big Baller Brand is a total disaster. Last I heard, he's being sued by the embroidery and screenprinting company for not paying them. The real BBB recently gave him an F rating due to numerous complaints from customers about getting the wrong products or not getting what they ordered at all.

LaVar is a clown and will always be viewed as a clown no matter how many half-assed business ventures he starts.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't "entrepreneurship," it's a joke. His sales pitch to players is a generic form DM. He even spelled one of the players' names wrong, which just shows how much effort he's putting into this.

Meanwhile, the Big Baller Brand is a total disaster. Last I heard, he's being sued by the embroidery and screenprinting company for not paying them. The real BBB recently gave him an F rating due to numerous complaints from customers about getting the wrong products or not getting what they ordered at all.

LaVar is a clown and will always be viewed as a clown no matter how many half-assed business ventures he starts.
    lavar has 3 sons playing pro ball and will have 2 in the nba. i think he's doing alright.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $3,000-$10,000 a month? Is this for real? These dudes can go to college one year, turn pro and make millions. GTFO with dis bull .
    they play in the jba until they declare for the nba. players can make money for their families then declare when they're ready. lavar is on the right path.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players should be paid even in college. However, LaVar is not the person that will do this and why would any kid go into his league when they can make so much more just playing in Europe vs far better talent ?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Players should be paid even in college.
    They do, it’s called scholarships

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool - give the coaches scholarships as compensation then. Let them all get their doctorate degrees.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which get used for taking classes like history of swahili and other bs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real BBB recently gave him an F rating due to numerous complaints from customers about getting the wrong products or not getting what they ordered at all.
    The "F" stands for Fenomenal

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Cool - give the coaches scholarships as compensation then. Let them all get their doctorate degrees.
    Some nba players squander their millions, some college players do the same with their scholarships. Scholarships are as good as money if they’re treated like the investment s that they are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some nba players squander their millions, some college players do the same with their scholarships. Scholarships are as good as money if they’re treated like the investment s that they are.
    So pay the coaches in scholarships then if they are that valuable. Why are coaches considered more valuable than the on field talent? Its not like that in any pro sport.

Also, even if you want to make the stupid argument that scholarships are fair payment from the schools, then how the do you argue the schools blocking players making money from outside the schools using their own name/brand?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    So pay the coaches in scholarships then if they are that valuable. Why are coaches considered more valuable than the on field talent? Its not like that in any pro sport.

Also, even if you want to make the stupid argument that scholarships are fair payment from the schools, then how the do you argue the schools blocking players making money from outside the schools using their own name/brand?
    Coaches are equal to professors at a university, that’s just stupid to suggest they not get paid salary even for arguments sake

I’m not arguing that players should be kept from branding and earning money while enrolled and playing but I imagine it has a lot to do with a universities inability to regulate what kind of reflection that hypothetical brand of their student has on the school.
    Why exactly is a scholarship not enough compensation???

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coaches are equal to professors at a university, that’s just stupid to suggest they not get paid salary even for arguments sake

I’m not arguing that players should be kept from branding and earning money why enrolled but I imagine it has a lot to do with a universities inability to regulate what kind of reflection that hypothetical brand of their student has on the school.
    Why exactly is a scholarship not enough compensation???
    coaches are equal to professors. It’s a revenue generating job, just like the players.

LMAO that universities can’t “regulate” brand. Then how come their business students on scholarship aren’t held to the same standards? If that scholarship is so valuable for the athletes, how come business students on scholarship are allowed to start their own companies and use their names however they want?

Your last question is absurd. Basic economics answers your question: If the scholarship was enough compensation then freeing students up to be paid (even just by outside people with their own name/brands) would yield nothing. The fact that many student would be instant millionaires if they were “allowed” to be shows you why that scholarship is not enough compensation.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    coaches Are equal to professors in that they lead and guide the students of the university. How do I even argue against such an absurd suggestion that they get paid in scholarships? That’s a cheap ass argument to try and make your point.

The fact that the players brands’ value would directly relate to the schools Jersey they wear is conflict enough to not even go there. Business student side companies are or are not successful based on their own merits. College athlete brand would or would not be successful based solely on their performance in the schools athletic program. You act like you got a dog in the fight why you care so much?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    coaches Are equal to professors in that they lead and guide the students of the university. How do I even argue against such an absurd suggestion that they get paid in scholarships? That’s a cheap ass argument to try and make your point.

The fact that the players brands’ value would directly relate to the schools Jersey they wear is conflict enough to not even go there. Business student side companies are or are not successful based on their own merits. College athlete brand would or would not be successful based solely on their performance in the schools athletic program. You act like you got a dog in the fight why you care so much?
    also wouldn't make sense for a coach that stays with a program for more than 5 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. I was a college athlete at one point and it really sucked having to go to classes, tons of practices/travel across the country for games and still have to work to pay bills (and I was not even part of a big revenue generating program).

2. It’s the right thing to do/fight for in my opinion so when it comes up I try to make my stance known.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    1. I was a college athlete at one point and it really sucked having to go to classes, tons of practices/travel across the country for games and still have to work to pay bills (and I was not even part of a big revenue generating program).

2. It’s the right thing to do/fight for in my opinion so when it comes up I try to make my stance known.
    IMO scholarship, the honor of playing for the university and program of your choice (with the opportunity to travel, meet people, share experiences, and showcase your abilities for potential professsional sports contract) should be enough compensation for the few months/years required before going pro and making the big bucks. But hey that’s just me. No one is forcing these guys to play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO scholarship, the honor of playing for the university and program of your choice (with the opportunity to travel, meet people, share experiences, and showcase your abilities for potential professsional sports contract) should be enough compensation for the few months/years required before going pro and making the big bucks. But hey that’s just me. No one is forcing these guys to play
    I have yet to hear a good argument for not paying players tbh...Especially the bigger program/top players. At least share in like 5% of the revenue to the players. They generate billions of dollars; in that context I dont understand how people can argue a 40K-100K scholarship for the players is fair compensation. Especially when the coaches are making 2-5M a year.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    If you (for some reason) feel that strongly about it, then you’ll never hear a good argument for not paying players. I just don’t see it as a problem. Seems like the system in place is and always ya worked out pretty damn well. There are a few unfortunate talents who suffer career ending injuries in college, but thems the breaks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you (for some reason) feel that strongly about it, then you’ll never hear a good argument for not paying players. I just don’t see it as a problem. Seems like the system in place is and always ya worked out pretty damn well. There are a few unfortunate talents who suffer career ending injuries in college, but thems the breaks.
    How do you feel about NCAA coaches making 5+ million per year?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    How do you feel about NCAA coaches making 5+ million per year?
    I don’t, really. Lots of consummate professionals, overrated or not, are overpaid for their services.

Thread Information