Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas mom dies from flu after skipping on meds deemed too costly: report

A Texas mother of two died Sunday from flu complications after reportedly deciding that the $116 medication to treat the virus was too costly.

Heather Holland, a second-grade teacher at Ikard Elementary School in Weatherford, Texas, died following complications of flu, leaving behind her husband Frank Holland and two children, a daughter, 10, and a son, 7.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/0...ly-report.html

------------------------------------

Just so we are clear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    should've spent the $116... my step father did and is fine. he had the flu this past week and took tamiflu during that time. as well, he has a flu shot already. waste to get that bs vaccination in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    should've spent the $116... my step father did and is fine. he had the flu this past week and took tamiflu during that time. as well, he has a flu shot already. waste to get that bs vaccination in the first place.
    Wow... talk about missing the point. Not even going to bother trying to explain it to you. smh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel bad for the dad having to explain to his kids that mommy is dead because she was a cheapskate.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Pity post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid sensationalist thread tbqh

“Woman is killed by healthcare” DING

As bad. No much worse than the death panels or obama is a muslim re ation
    Last edited by hater; 02-14-2018 at 11:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel bad for the dad having to explain to his kids that mommy is dead because she was a cheapskate.
    Blaming the victim is your first go-to?

What next? "She was asking for it because she wasn't wearing a burka?"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blaming the victim is your first go-to?

What next? "She was asking for it because she wasn't wearing a burka?"
    Inversely, denying accountability is your reasoning for the post. See how that works?

She's a school teacher in a market where school teachers can afford a meager $117. This isn't a Texas minimum wage burger flipper living in Eagle Pass. 4-6 hours of salary.

And healthcare being rationed? More like the Government needs to regulate true healthcare, not nonsensical insurance that just gives you a ticket to access the uncontrollable costs of healthcare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inversely, denying accountability is your reasoning for the post. See how that works?

She's a school teacher in a market where school teachers can afford a meager $117. This isn't a Texas minimum wage burger flipper living in Eagle Pass. 4-6 hours of salary.

And healthcare being rationed? More like the Government needs to regulate true healthcare, not nonsensical insurance that just gives you a ticket to access the uncontrollable costs of healthcare.
    Yes, health care is rationed in the US, just like every other good/service. I referenced an economic textbook in the OP, to underscore the point.

The entire point is that universal coverage wouldn't make people have to choose.

The free market breaks down when it comes to health care. We are all worse off as a result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly was $117? Tamiflu?

Two things... Tamiflu doesn't cure the flu. It shortens the symptoms. And it is now available in generic form for lot less than $100 even if you have no insurance.

There are usually other factors/complications at play when somebody of her age dies from the flu. Tamiflu likely wouldn't have made a difference. Unless I'm something here and they were talking about some other med?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Flu shots are a lot cheaper. Mine were free.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    You would be bankrupt within two years if you bought everything you were supposed to. We've skipped prescriptions for the boys because of it shortening the length of the illness, not the severity. It's like those in this thread don't understand science.

For the record, my insurance through blue cross prescriptions are more expensive than if I ran them without insurance. Sad reality for many.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly was $117? Tamiflu?

Two things... Tamiflu doesn't cure the flu. It shortens the symptoms. And it is now available in generic form for lot less than $100 even if you have no insurance.

There are usually other factors/complications at play when somebody of her age dies from the flu. Tamiflu likely wouldn't have made a difference. Unless I'm something here and they were talking about some other med?
    This is what makes RandomGuy's post so stupid and not worth a serious response. It's clear from the article that she suffered an influenza triggered cytokine storm, a single dose of Tamiflu wasn't going to help her.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Texas mom dies from flu after skipping on meds deemed too costly: report

A Texas mother of two died Sunday from flu complications after reportedly deciding that the $116 medication to treat the virus was too costly.

Heather Holland, a second-grade teacher at Ikard Elementary School in Weatherford, Texas, died following complications of flu, leaving behind her husband Frank Holland and two children, a daughter, 10, and a son, 7.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/0...ly-report.html

------------------------------------

Just so we are clear.
    You have no authority to speak on this issue because it's clear you have no clue what you're talking about.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Flu shots haven't been as helpful this flu season though still much better than not getting a flu shot.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Wow... talk about missing the point. Not even going to bother trying to explain it to you. smh
    Tamiflu wasn't gonna help much anyway. She waited a week to be seen and Tamiflu is effective within 48 hours of symptoms.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agreed. Why not just put that on credit? i'm broke but not really because i have a $6500 credit limit and just have to pay a whopping $25 a month to keep my credit card

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tamiflu wasn't gonna help much anyway. She waited a week to be seen and Tamiflu is effective within 48 hours of symptoms.
    this year's flu shot is only 30% effective

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Flu shots haven't been as helpful this flu season though still much better than not getting a flu shot.
    Flu shots are a scam. On average 40-50% effective against all flu viruses circulating and nearly zero percent against the current pandemic strain. This is true every year and this year is a "worse of the two" case pandemic strain that on average only comes every four years or so.

Also they deteriorate your immune system and make you more vulnerable to the current strain

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Flu shots are a scam. On average 40-50% effective against all flu viruses circulating and nearly zero percent against the current pandemic strain. This is true every year and this year is a "worse of the two" case pandemic strain that on average only comes every four years or so.

Also they deteriorate your immune system and make you more vulnerable to the current strain
    None of that is true. Flu shots aren't perfect, but it's still better than not getting a flu shot. It helps build an immunity which even if the flu is contracted, the symptoms aren't nearly as severe compared to getting the flu without getting a vaccine. The majority of people who get the flu are folks who weren't vaccinated.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    this year's flu shot is only 30% effective
    That doesn't have anything to do with Tamiflu.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    agreed. Why not just put that on credit? i'm broke but not really because i have a $6500 credit limit and just have to pay a whopping $25 a month to keep my credit card
    Another post worthy of most idiotic in this thread. Why don't you get your prostate examined? Colonoscopy? MRI? Trade your vehicle in on one that's top rated in crash or rollover. Have you updated your carbon monoxide detector? Etc.....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A pack of smokes is even cheaper and might have saved her life.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Pretty stupid and uneducated article.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys might want to check Snopes on this one.

Thread Information