Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trading for Detroit Iverson
    piggybacking harlem's takes. maybe if you slurp him harder he'll give you a pat on the head

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    All of that is why he won't be getting the $25 to $30 million a season that looked likely a year ago. So what offer do you see him getting? Something like two years, $25 million?
    We will never know but i think a max at the price Bum is talking was still iffy even pre injury ...
    However bum is absolutely correct that the FO of NBA teams are traditionally been some of the dumbest in sports outside of baseball ... but thats becuz there is no hard cap in baseball
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 02-09-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    So your belief is NBA GMs won't be stupid this summer? Good luck with that.
    NBA GMs' previous stupidity, along with the salary cap crunch, will leave them with a lot less money to be stupid with this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great trade for both teams tbh, Cavs improved and Lakers free cap space plus their fans do love a guard that takes 30 shots to score 30 points

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I don’t know that Isaiah will get a big deal at all. A lot of teams don’t have cap space to offer a big deal this summer. Last year, the big deals that were signed were mostly guys re-signing with their teams that had their Bird rights. Otto Porter, Ibaka, Ingles. Hardaway Jr may have been one of the few to sign a sizable contract with another team.

If we assume Lakers won’t be looking to re-sign him and wouldn’t be conducting a sign-and-trade with him, then his options will be limited. Teams with a decent amount of cap space other than LA include OKC and Sacramento and Orlando and Philly and Atlanta. Orlando could be a landing spot. But in order for Isaiah to get a big deal, another team needs to show interest to drive up the price.

I honestly think Isaiah may have to settle for something like $20 million over two years. If he has confidence he can rebuild his value, he should want to take a one year deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron blowing up the Cavs before joining HOU

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know that Isaiah will get a big deal at all. A lot of teams don’t have cap space to offer a big deal this summer. Last year, the big deals that were signed were mostly guys re-signing with their teams that had their Bird rights. Otto Porter, Ibaka, Ingles. Hardaway Jr may have been one of the few to sign a sizable contract with another team.

If we assume Lakers won’t be looking to re-sign him and wouldn’t be conducting a sign-and-trade with him, then his options will be limited. Teams with a decent amount of cap space other than LA include OKC and Sacramento and Orlando and Philly and Atlanta. Orlando could be a landing spot. But in order for Isaiah to get a big deal, another team needs to show interest to drive up the price.

I honestly think Isaiah may have to settle for something like $20 million over two years. If he has confidence he can rebuild his value, he should want to take a one year deal.
    A small point guard who relies on his speed and is about to go on the wrong side of 30 would be nuts to take a one or two year deal unless that's all that is out there IMO.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    And that might be all that’s out there for him especially based on what he’s done this season.

Not a lot of teams with loads of cap space this summer. And some of those teams that do have considerable space are hoping to catch one or more of the big fish in free agency. Remember, it’s not just LeBron and George out there. CP3, Melo, Boogie, Derrick Favors, possibly KD and Jordan. Isaiah is considerably down the list of prized free agents.

Even teams that strike out with those bigger names may not be all that interested in Thomas. Orlando is one of the few places I think will offer him. Maybe Utah? Sacramento has Fox, Atlanta signed Schroeder to a sizable deal. The only other team I think has the cap flexibility and may have an interest is Philly, but I think they’d only offer one year like they did with Red . When your options are limited, the price is also limited.

A one year deal is risky. But it may be a legitimate chance to make a big one year salary and to also rebuild his value. As some already suggested, the more years, I’d suspect the smaller the per year salary value.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    he should get a j lin type of contract or an mle. guys like him, nerlens noel are going to be severely disappointed this off season. there's little to no market for niche guys like them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to say, $30/2 yrs with a player option is fair. Personally, any GM should just offer 1 year $12-$15 to determine his worth, but I see where you’re coming from. Someone will always overpay.

The caveat is the Lakers have no need to showcase him, since he’s looking for a payday so those politics could eat into his playing time.
    yeah, no

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

i just don't think it's a good fit for lebron or us

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    i just don't think it's a good fit for lebron or us
    I don't want LeDrama either, but if he does come I'll grudgingly root for him to help the Lakers pass Boston in all-time rang totals.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Mixed feelings about IT. For one, he still got it. He is now back in an uptempo offense which puts his unique talents on full display. He had 22 points and 6 dimes. But since he had like one practice, he also had 6 TOs. His defense was bad as advertised, but then again, we knew that.

I feel for him because he was in line for a $175M payday. Now, he's not gonna get anywhere close to that. Good thing for us is that we need his PG leadership while Zo is out, and he needs to rebuild his brand. What better stage to do it on then in LA? The fact that he grew up a Laker fan helps too.

Also, if we whiff on LeDrama and PG13, I'm totally OK with re-signing IT and have him gel with our young core. Last night showed glimpses on why he was a legit MVP candidate. Here's hoping he builds upon that performance.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK, maybe you guys are right that Thomas ain't gonna get offered this summer

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    OK, maybe you guys are right that Thomas ain't gonna get offered this summer

He still thinks he a starter but he is not ...he still has some use ...but in limited mins at a discount rate.
    If the Lakers miss out on big fish can still try and sign guys like Hezonja, Saric, Lavine or even Kyle Anderson with upside ...IT just diminishing returns ...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    IT for a 1 year 18 mil deal should be fine. huge liability on defense but offensively, it’s refreshing to see someone who can make buckets and make a FT when the game is on the line

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    If some team is willing to pay Thomas $18M on a one year, he should definitely consider and work his tail off next season to rebuild his value... and pray that he can as I doubt he will. After this season, his value has bottomed out. I’d be very surprised to see him get an offer for more than 3 years at a significantly low annual, like maybe $8-10M annually. But of course, never underestimate the stupidity of NBA owners and executives.

Personally, I think his NBA days are numbered. I think he’ll be out of the league earlier than expected, a once star that burns out unexpectedly in his early 30s like Arenas or Marbury did. Maybe he can become an overseas legend too. Considering his height and being the last pick in the draft, he’s actually done quite well to last in the league this long and actually play at the level he has.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If some team is willing to pay Thomas $18M on a one year, he should definitely consider and work his tail off next season to rebuild his value... and pray that he can as I doubt he will. After this season, his value has bottomed out. I’d be very surprised to see him get an offer for more than 3 years at a significantly low annual, like maybe $8-10M annually. But of course, never underestimate the stupidity of NBA owners and executives.

Personally, I think his NBA days are numbered. I think he’ll be out of the league earlier than expected, a once star that burns out unexpectedly in his early 30s like Arenas or Marbury did. Maybe he can become an overseas legend too. Considering his height and being the last pick in the draft, he’s actually done quite well to last in the league this long and actually play at the level he has.
    agree 100%
    he is coming oiff injury and was traded twice ...he has no leverage. He been on 5 teams and only shown MVP level value once. if Lakers gonna pay 18 mill one year expiring to protect cap space find another KCP type ...
    Do agree there is value in his FT shooting ...but not $18 mill worth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lakers were able to dump 2 guys they wanted to dump (they had to get rid of one of randle/nance), got a draft pick and cleared up cap room. they made out fine regardless of what IT does this year

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    lakers were able to dump 2 guys they wanted to dump (they had to get rid of one of randle/nance), got a draft pick and cleared up cap room. they made out fine regardless of what IT does this year
    Agree, we did ...but now Randle expecting big deal . He has improved but still no deep jumper and very lefty reliant.I like him after some intial concerns ...but wouldnt pay huge money. Improved defender and finisher willing passser ...but anything over 12-15 millie gives me pause eish we could just pay him Deng's money ...Nance has one more cheap year left iirc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people were still arguing about the clarkson contract not being an albatross

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, we did ...but now Randle expecting big deal . He has improved but still no deep jumper and very lefty reliant.I like him after some intial concerns ...but wouldnt pay huge money. Improved defender and finisher willing passser ...but anything over 12-15 millie gives me pause eish we could just pay him Deng's money ...Nance has one more cheap year left iirc.
    yes, please please pleaaaaase

Thread Information