Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My original comment started with "If you want to take away guns..." aimed at people that want to ban guns. Your comments seemingly don't pertain to what my point was at all.

you compared drunk driving to shooting people.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the AR-15 is an incredibly common choice when it comes to mass shootings... i would definitely increase the scope to other "AR-15 type guns" aka semi automatic rifles
    What other ar15 type guns are there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What other ar15 type guns are there?
    the AR-15 is an incredibly common choice when it comes to mass shootings... i would definitely increase the scope to other "AR-15 type guns" aka semi automatic rifles

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That statistic is not real. Just so you know. Alcohol related only means that ANYONE involved in the wreck had alcoohol.

Stupid money grab stat

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alco..._United_States

That is, if i was your dd and i wrecked the car with you in it and someone died, that would be considered an alcohol related fatality.
    I'll have to look into it further.

The top part of the wiki says what you said.

Then:

"Nationally, 31% of all drivers involved in fatal accidents during 2013 are known to have been intoxicated according to the blood alcohol concentration (BAC laws) of their state.[5] This number is based on a systematic examination of the official records of each and every accident involving a fatality during that year in the US.[citation needed] However, a majority of fatalities resulting from car accidents involving alcohol are from sober drivers who are hit by drunk drivers."

One would expect that bolded sentence to hammer home the point but it doesn't. It falls squarely in what most would think the data would gather.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I did not. Which is why your comments don't seem to pertain to the point I was making.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are semi auto rifles that aren't ar15 style

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll have to look into it further.

The top part of the wiki says what you said.

Then:

"Nationally, 31% of all drivers involved in fatal accidents during 2013 are known to have been intoxicated according to the blood alcohol concentration (BAC laws) of their state.[5] This number is based on a systematic examination of the official records of each and every accident involving a fatality during that year in the US.[citation needed] However, a majority of fatalities resulting from car accidents involving alcohol are from sober drivers who are hit by drunk drivers."

One would expect that bolded sentence to hammer home the point but it doesn't. It falls squarely in what most would think the data would gather.
    That too is also almost impossible to say as bac neither hinders nor improves your driving at any specific content, nor does bac readings offer immediate and accurate depiction of your bac while driving.

Again, the bold is a vague representation of misleading data.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That too is also almost impossible to say as bac neither hinders nor improves your driving at any specific content, nor does bac readings offer immediate and accurate depiction of your bac while driving.

Again, the bold is a vague representation of misleading data.
    Looking at the very next sentence after the paragraph I posted:

"The higher number (about 40%) commonly reported refers to accidents defined as alcohol-related as estimated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

It seems to suggest my number was correct based on a BAC level defined by law(you can debate the significance of that). But the 40% seems to to be relevant to what you were originally talking about with passengers and whatnot. As you can see it higher than the 31% quoted in the last paragraph I posted which was similar to the number I posted earlier(29%). And the source for the 40% is the same source for the top portion of the wiki that includes what you were originally discussing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at the very next sentence after the paragraph I posted:

"The higher number (about 40%) commonly reported refers to accidents defined as alcohol-related as estimated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

It seems to suggest my number was correct based on a BAC level defined by law(you can debate the significance of that). But the 40% seems to to be relevant to what you were originally talking about with passengers and whatnot. As you can see it higher than the 31% quoted in the last paragraph I posted which was similar to the number I posted earlier(29%). And the source for the 40% is the same source for the top portion of the wiki that includes what you were originally discussing.
    As estimated. So they inflate the numbers, use confusing terminology, then estimate? Lol. Ok. Some real sound evidence you got there

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why not both? i think the mass shootings are their own problem because of the randomness of the victims. there's no way to really avoid them except for staying in a bunker.

true. most gun deaths happen with handguns, as those are significantly more common in the more typical murders where the killer knows the victim personally. if you want to kill your ex-wife or something, or if a drug dealer wants to kill a rival, a handgun is probably the easiest way to do that. i don't think we can really legislate that away without a massive gun confiscation which is probably uncons utional. i dont see why we shouldn't at least aim to reduce senseless and seemingly motive-less mass shootings. just look at vegas. there's no way it should be legal for a person to own that much destructive capability

yeah, talked about that above. i think murder in the greater scheme of things is closer to impossible to legislating away. but why not at least focus on an issue that we CAN work to mitigate? like random mass shootings

yes, part of the problem is not only the ease of acquiring these guns legally, but also because we have a massive availability of guns in general. there are 100 million guns in this country. it's an insane number. the US has the most guns per capita on the planet and there isn't a close second. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estima...ita_by_country

that's why i said the only way we're going to legislate away gun violence altogether is with confiscation, but i don't see that happening. but we can decrease it by at least not making it legal to acquire one. why do people feel secure having a gate in front of their house and a locked door if a burglar can jump the gate and break in? it's a deterrence. a hurdle. maybe that buys time for the system to flag somebody as a threat.

where is the supply in Australia, Japan, or England?

by this logic we shouldn't make anything illegal to own. like at all.
    England, Japan, and Australia don’t have the same amount of guns in their country and they don’t have the gun culture that the US has. I could easily see a black market for guns (I’m sure there already is one for banned firearms). Whether there is enough demand for AR-15s if banned that the black market would still make them accessible is an open question, I don’t know.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The common comparison is the gun vs the swimming pool. Swimming pools are way more dangerous than guns, but no one thinks about eliminating swimming pools. Certainly there are safety measures for pools, for example now days they don’t have deep ends and diving boards. I don’t know how much those have changed the drowning numbers. But there are regs on guns too. I don’t know. I’m just riffing. I’ve never owned a gun, but I also think you tread lightly when limiting rights specifically enumerated in the Cons ution. I’ll be curious to see if any gun limit legislation gains any steam.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BAN SWIMMING POOLS! THEY ARE DANGEROUS!

Media hasn't pushed that narrative quite yet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way to eliminate from this happening again is your going to have to harden all schools. So that means multiple layers of armed guards at every school. This is the world we live in for better or worse I do not see things getting better any time soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, if it brings the murder rate down in Chicago, I'm all for taking away guns from black people...

And before somebody calls me racist, I have two black friends, and actually had 3 until last year when one of them passed away in jail...

but, srsly, if we go by murder rate or death rate, we should dissolve the TSA tomorrow...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The common comparison is the gun vs the swimming pool. Swimming pools are way more dangerous than guns, but no one thinks about eliminating swimming pools. Certainly there are safety measures for pools, for example now days they don’t have deep ends and diving boards. I don’t know how much those have changed the drowning numbers. But there are regs on guns too. I don’t know. I’m just riffing. I’ve never owned a gun, but I also think you tread lightly when limiting rights specifically enumerated in the Cons ution. I’ll be curious to see if any gun limit legislation gains any steam.
    The difference here is intentional vs unintentional. drowning deaths are largely unintentional, whereas gun crimes are largely intentional. Same applies to the difference between knife and gun. Accidents with knives are way, way more numerous than actual intentional deaths by knife.

The reality is that guns are the weapon of choice at this time to inflict intentional damage. Otherwise we would've already armed our law enforcement and military with swimming pools.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference here is intentional vs unintentional. drowning deaths are largely unintentional, whereas gun crimes are largely intentional. Same applies to the difference between knife and gun. Accidents with knives are way, way more numerous than actual intentional deaths by knife.

The reality is that guns are the weapon of choice at this time to inflict intentional damage. Otherwise we would've already armed our law enforcement and military with swimming pools.
    And in mass shootings, specifically the weapon of choice is the AR-15.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And in mass shootings, specifically the weapon of choice is the AR-15.
    What other mass shooting were done with ar15?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What other mass shooting were done with ar15?
    Pretty much all of the recent ones.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

but, srsly, if we go by murder rate or death rate, we should dissolve the TSA tomorrow...
    Definitely. The TSA isn't even effective at what they do.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intentional vs unintentional is irrelevant. Apparently the politicians are responsible for the deaths for allowing people to have guns. They therefore are responsible for the drownings in swimming pools for allowing people to own swimming pools. A known dangerous product. How they sit idle while 3,536(not sure of the portion in pools) fatal unintentional drownings occurs per year is beyond me.?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intentional vs unintentional is irrelevant. Apparently the politicians are responsible for the deaths for allowing people to have guns. They therefore are responsible for the drownings in swimming pools for allowing people to own swimming pools. A known dangerous product. How they sit idle while 3,536(not sure of the portion in pools) fatal unintentional drownings occurs per year is beyond me.?
    I posted this in the politics forum, but it bears repeating...

Honestly, I'm not even anti-gun or any of that, but politicians are responsible for things like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ ey_Amendment_(1996)

still surviving in this day and age, tbh... If anything, conducting research and trying to understand or dig deeper on this problem is one thing we can certainly do. We do that with pools, btw, the CDC is certainly allowed to research drownings (see: here)

not even blaming team blue or red for this, it doesn't survive this long if the knuckleheads are not on both sides.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and intentional vs not, actually does matter when it comes to laws. The US bans a plethora of items when their primary use is to commit crimes (see DMCA and cir vention devices). Heck the VCR (RIP) was almost banned in it's inception due to the movie studios arguing it's primary use was for copyright violation (time shifting won that battle).

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The primary use of guns is not to commit crimes.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted this in the politics forum, but it bears repeating...

Honestly, I'm not even anti-gun or any of that, but politicians are responsible for things like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ ey_Amendment_(1996)

still surviving in this day and age, tbh... If anything, conducting research and trying to understand or dig deeper on this problem is one thing we can certainly do. We do that with pools, btw, the CDC is certainly allowed to research drownings (see: here)

not even blaming team blue or red for this, it doesn't survive this long if the knuckleheads are not on both sides.
    Of course we do that with pools because nobody is ever going to advocate taking them all away. I don't see Presidential candidates wanting pool makers to be responsible for the drownings in a pool. Numerous proven ineffective policies with the end goal to ultimately take guns away. Of course people are going to take actions to protect their rights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's stopping Cruz from going into Mexico and getting an AR-15 then? You haven't thought this ban thingy out. I have. You would have to ban the entire North and South American continents and then screen every boat that comes to our shores for AR-15's. Gun control/bans is a dumb argument filled with holes.
    awesome read, where can i subscribe to your newsletter?

Thread Information