Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Benkler, et. al 2017

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/h...pdf?sequence=9

Personally, I think that religiousity tends to poison reasoning abilities. If you are willingly delusional about one thing, you have what amounts to a weakened immune system to bull .

This puts some heft into what we all sense and see played out here time after time with debunked conservative propaganda.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are conservatives so susceptible to misinformation? The right wing’s disregard for facts and reasoning is not a matter of stupidity or lack of education. College-educated Republicans are actually more likely than less-educated Republicans to have believed that Barack Obama was a Muslim and that “death panels” were part of the ACA. And for political conservatives, but not for liberals, greater knowledge of science and math is associated with a greater likelihood of dismissing what almost all scientists believe about the human causation of global warming.

The right wing’s disregard for facts and reasoning is not a matter of stupidity or lack of education.

It’s also not just misinformation gained from too many hours listening to Fox News, either, because correcting the falsehoods doesn’t change their opinions. For example, nine months following the release of President Obama’s long-form birth certificate, the percentage of Republicans who believed that he was not American-born was actually higher than before the release. Similarly, during the 2012 presidential campaign, Democrats corrected their previous overestimates of the unemployment rate after the Bureau of Labor Statistics released the actual data. Republicans’ overestimated even more than before.

Part of the problem is widespread su ion of facts—any facts. Both mistrust of scientists and other “experts” and mistrust of the mass media that reports what scientists and experts believe have increased among conservatives (but not among liberals) since the early ’80s. The mistrust has in part, at least, been deliberately inculcated. The fossil fuel industry publicizes studies to confuse the climate change debate; Big Pharma hides unfavorable information on drug safety and efficacy; and many schools in conservative areas teach students that evolution is “just a theory.” The public is understandably confused about both the findings and methods of science. “Fake news” deliberately created for political or economic gain and Donald Trump’s claims that media sites that disagree with him are “fake news” add to the mistrust.

But, the gullibility of many on the right seems to have deeper roots even than this. That may be because at the most basic level, conservatives and liberals seem to hold different beliefs about what cons utes “truth.” Finding facts and pursuing evidence and trusting science is part of liberal ideology itself. For many conservatives, faith and intuition and trust in revealed truth appear as equally valid sources of truth.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health..._all_dt_fb_top

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    everything is fine goy don’t believe that fake news listen to us, we are a Rockefeller owned organization we have credibility. Our board of directors have professional backgrounds such as the ford foundation, tavistock ins ute, Rockefeller foundation etc. it’s only real if you heard it here first!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Propaganda is propaganda. To say one pile of smells better than another pile of is absurd.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "faith and intuition and trust in revealed truth appear as equally valid sources of truth."

True, but that demands a highly purified, evolved nervous system, to "Realize" truth but such truths could and should verified empirically

the political alliance between repugs and Christian evangelicals works because both swim in bull , lies, fairy tales, money-grubbing, venal, bad faith propaganda

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Something something repugs, Trash, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something something repugs, Trash, etc
    Something something jews, cucks, etc

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    American Christians are pretty ing disgusting if you ask me.

Their reasoning:

Jesus forgives me.

He's a democrat.

The bible says.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    American Christians are pretty ing disgusting if you ask me.

Their reasoning:

Jesus forgives me.

He's a democrat.

The bible says.

You'd be lost without that smiley, bruh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Propaganda is propaganda. To say one pile of smells better than another pile of is absurd.
    well put

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd be lost without that smiley, bruh.
    Bitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because cnn and wapo are pillars of truth

The mouthpieces of CIA/FBI/NSA are far more disinformational than any dumb ass redneck

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Something something jews, cucks, etc
    Lol saw ya doing battle with the Turk in the other thread, round 2 etc

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Because cnn and wapo are pillars of truth

The mouthpieces of CIA/FBI/NSA are far more disinformational than any dumb ass redneck
    Where do you get your news?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Delusional.

poster.

Patty Mills schtick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [given evidence that conservatives tend to reason poorly when it comes to evaluating information]

[launches into a logically flawed argument- ad hominem, completely ignoring the information provided and failing to address anything]

It's like you can't help yourself. Keep proving out the OP.

Please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read the slate article. Both sides have propaganda.

One side gets suckered by it more, and some peer reviewed science tends to support that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read the slate article. Both sides have propaganda.

One side gets suckered by it more, and some peer reviewed science tends to support that.
    Words like "some" and "tends" doesn't give heavy credence. I understand you, though, so I'm not downplaying this report, it's just not definitive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Words like "some" and "tends" doesn't give heavy credence. I understand you, though, so I'm not downplaying this report, it's just not definitive.
    Science is rarely definitive.

The Slate article breaks it down into a pretty comprehensive argument, supported by peer-reviewed studies. Not a slam dunk, but pretty well done.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most intelligent people vote democrat. Facts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Science is rarely definitive.

The Slate article breaks it down into a pretty comprehensive argument, supported by peer-reviewed studies. Not a slam dunk, but pretty well done.

I kind of LOL'd at the "Trump shaped the media" thing that kind of puts blame of Hillary's loss on the media when 3 of the 4 largest MSM companies are left-leaning.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most intelligent people vote democrat. Facts.

And you also voted Demo. You're not intelligent. Fact.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    [given evidence that conservatives tend to reason poorly when it comes to evaluating information]

It's like you can't help yourself. Keep proving out the OP.

Please.
    There’s been no evidence presented, it’s all subjective generalization like “science is part of muh liberal doctrine while conservatives believe in muh faith.” It’s just yours and the authors opinions presented as fact, no further response is required of me here. Stupid posts get dismissive responses. You don’t have a monopoly on logic and reason and science. I could easily counter by saying liberalism is all about feels over reals. Politicized “studies” are often flawed and full of biases.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    “This study was funded by the Open Society Foundations U.S. Programs.”

wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s been no evidence presented, it’s all subjective generalization like “science is part of muh liberal doctrine while conservatives believe in muh faith.” It’s just yours and the authors opinions presented as fact, no further response is required of me here. Stupid posts get dismissive responses. You don’t have a monopoly on logic and reason and science. I could easily counter by saying liberalism is all about feels over reals. Politicized “studies” are often flawed and full of biases.
    The evidence is in the article. If you want a laundry list, I can easily do that.

Thread Information