Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    The problem with analytics is, while yes three is better than two, even a wide open three isn't better than a layup, even when adjusted for the reward being multiplied by a scale factor of 1.5.
    Lol. Analytics don't lie. You don't think they can pinpoint how open someone is? What a team does with analytics is another story. Listened to a podcast on the warriors and how they were one of the first teams to go balls deep with analytics. They ordered the station with 3 special camera that cost about$100k and it kept track of all sorts of things. They were able to track movement and average speed. When speed went below a certain threshold for individual players they got benched. When it logged enough movement they sat out a game.

I believe it mentioned 2011 time frame and the Mavs and Spurs were also utilizing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1990-1991 is not the early post-MJ era.
    Apologies. Mis read.

2000-2001 80.6/44.3%

Worse shooting percentage but a lot less shots.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. Analytics don't lie. You don't think they can pinpoint how open someone is? What a team does with analytics is another story. Listened to a podcast on the warriors and how they were one of the first teams to go balls deep with analytics. They ordered the station with 3 special camera that cost about$100k and it kept track of all sorts of things. They were able to track movement and average speed. When speed went below a certain threshold for individual players they got benched. When it logged enough movement they sat out a game.

I believe it mentioned 2011 time frame and the Mavs and Spurs were also utilizing it.
    I think the Spurs have multiple (recent) "team of the year" awards from the Sloan conference for sports analytics. The Spurs, Warriors, Rockets, Mavs, and I think Sixers are seen as the most analytically driven front offices.

I can only guess as to which teams rank at the bottom but the Lakers, Knicks, Kings, and Tom Thibodeau have to be down there.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Apologies. Mis read.

2000-2001 80.6/44.3%

Worse shooting percentage but a lot less shots.
    2000-01 average TS%: 52%
    2017-18 average TS%: 56%

To put things in perspective, that's roughly the difference between Austin Rivers and Damian Lillard. And the difference in shot attempts has a lot to do with how much slower-paced the game was back then compared to now.

Volume shooting on mediocre-to-bad efficiency is the definition of chucking. And it's no coincidence that the early 2000s were the glory days of awful, selfish chuckers like Antoine Walker, Kobe, Jerry Stackhouse, Ron Mercer, Jamal Mashburn, etc. Those types of players are dinosaurs in today's league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To put things in perspective, that's roughly the difference between Austin Rivers and Damian Lillard. And the difference in shot attempts has a lot to do with how much slower-paced the game was back then compared to now.

Volume shooting on mediocre-to-bad efficiency is the definition of chucking. And it's no coincidence that the early 2000s were the glory days of awful, selfish chuckers like Antoine Walker, Kobe, Jerry Stackhouse, Ron Mercer, Jamal Mashburn, etc. Those types of players are dinosaurs in today's league.
    It’s a shift away from long 2s and way more threes. Also snowflake players gettin tough foil freebies as well.

TS% has nothing to do with chucking. Chucking, by definition is to chuck shots regardless of the likelihood of it going in.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good names, but you forgot Iverson, Allan Houston, Iso Joe (who's still in the league but barely), Josh Howard, Starbury, Eddie House (the original Patty Mills), Nick Van Exel, Bonzi Wells, Ricky Davis, Darius Miles, heck even Baron Davis except for the magical '07 run. I'm sure I missed a lot of names like that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players look at the refs like they were just told slavery has been reinstated, even after getting the call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even thob8 don't like the 3 pt chucking, or the fact that today's NBA (lol I said today's NBA) is softer, I think the real issue today is the lack of true rivalries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even thob8 don't like the 3 pt chucking, or the fact that today's NBA (lol I said today's NBA) is softer, I think the real issue today is the lack of true rivalries.
    There are no rivalries when the stars/leaders of their team just sign 1 year deals and change teams every year. Then hit each other up on Twitter to go to Da Club after every game

Thread Information