Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Seems like it would cost more and be more wasteful. Convince me otherwise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mulvaney has no concept of the logistics and new BUREAUCRACY required.

btw, highly-processed, dead/preserved, food-like substances Mulvaney wants to deliver to the poor has been associated with increased cancer risk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Try reading the article in the OP Pav

Currently, food stamps — known officially as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) — are provided for some 42 million people, 80% of whom get food vouchers each month worth at least $90 per person. They can be redeemed at many stores for food, but the program is rife with abuse.

For example, an Oregon minimart owner was recently sentenced to nearly two years behind bars after being convicted for food stamp fraud totalling $189,000. In that case, prosecutors said the minimart owner allowed his customers to exchange cash for benefits. He charged high prices for food to food stamp recipients’ benefit cards, and then gave them back half the cash.

In January, a Baltimore man was found guilty of fraud involving $1.5 million worth of food stamps. The list goes on and on.

Under the Trump proposal, 80% of all SNAP recipients would get about half of their benefits in the form of a "USDA Foods package," NPR reported. "The package was described in the budget as consisting of 'shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables.' The boxes would not include fresh fruits or vegetables."

The program would be called "America’s Harvest Box." Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue called it “a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families ― and all of it is home-grown by American farmers and producers.”

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Half of their benefits doesn't mean half the cost, Chris.

lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

lol
    Damn chris...

He got you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

lol
    The USDA believes that state governments will be able to deliver this food at much less cost than SNAP recipients currently pay for food at retail stores — thus reducing the overall cost of the SNAP program by $129 billion over the next 10 years. This and other changes in the SNAP program, according to the Trump administration, will reduce the SNAP budget by $213 billion over those years — cutting the program by almost 30 percent.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Delivering food to every house getting aid would be cheaper?

lol

Maybe if they had Bezos do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The USDA believes that state governments will be able to deliver this food at much less cost than SNAP recipients currently pay for food at retail stores — thus reducing the overall cost of the SNAP program by $129 billion over the next 10 years. This and other changes in the SNAP program, according to the Trump administration, will reduce the SNAP budget by $213 billion over those years — cutting the program by almost 30 percent.

lol Pavlov

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Took you three tires there, Chris.

lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What percentage of our federal budget is food stamps?

High calorie junk food is certainly cheaper than organic fruits, fresh fish, and other generally healthy type foods so that explains a lot of the popularity of those things. I'm pretty well off but even I am sometimes shocked when I realize how much I've spent on a single trip to Whole Foods.... which also carries plenty of junk food albeit more expensive junk food.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

High calorie junk food is certainly cheaper than organic fruits, fresh fish, and other generally healthy type foods so that explains a lot of the popularity of those things. I'm pretty well off but even I am sometimes shocked when I realize how much I've spent a single trip to Whole Foods.... which also carries plenty of junk food albeit more expensive junk food.
    http://federal-budget.insidegov.com/...xnQz&st=IaoIVN

SNAPpers are getting only canned goods (vegetables and fruits) not organic produce from H-E-B.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://federal-budget.insidegov.com/...xnQz&st=IaoIVN

SNAPpers are getting only canned goods (vegetables and fruits) not organic produce from H-E-B.
    I have no clue how it works. Then how are people buying cake and ice cream with food stamps? (I'm thinking about the Rightly News tweet)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Penny wise and pound foolish: Proposed SNAP budget cuts will reduce outcomes

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...duce-outcomes/

Mulvaney is just another CATHOLIC Repug sociopath

======================

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

SNAP benefits cost $70.9 billion in fiscal year 2016 and supplied roughly 44.2 million Americans (14% of the population)[2] with an average of $125.51 for each person per month in food assistance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supple...stance_Program

$125 / 30 = $4 / day so the Welfare Queens and "young bucks" can eat like Kings

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no clue how it works. Then how are people buying cake and ice cream with food stamps? (I'm thinking about the Rightly News tweet)
    That is what Trump is seeking to eliminate. Impoverished single mothers buying steak and lobster, and a 50 pound bag of Marshmallow Mateys for the kids. Also I believe you can buy cigarettes and things like that in certain states.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is what Trump is seeking to eliminate. Impoverished single mothers buying steak and lobster, and a 50 pound bag of Marshmallow Mateys for the kids. Also I believe you can buy cigarettes and things like that in certain states.
    steak and lobster and 50 pound bag marshmallow mateys for the kids on $4 per day?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    steak and lobster and 50 pound bag marshmallow mateys for the kids on $4 per day?
    Republican lawmaker wants to ban welfare recipients from buying steak and lobster

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.93fb7ceba8f1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

What Can SNAP Buy?

Last Published: 11/17/2017Households CAN use SNAP benefits to buy:

• Foods for the household to eat, such as:
    • breads and cereals;
    • fruits and vegetables;
    • meats, fish and poultry; and
    • dairy products.
    • Seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat.

In some areas, restaurants can be authorized to accept SNAP benefits from qualified homeless, elderly, or disabled people in exchange for low-cost meals.

Households CANNOT use SNAP benefits to buy:

• Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco
    • Any nonfood items, such as:
    • pet foods
    • soaps, paper products
    • household supplies
    • Vitamins and medicines
    • Food that will be eaten in the store
    • Hot foods

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items

Most of the people on public assistance are WHITE, and many are red-county rurals

Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-15-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ducks making the thread is ironic. Probably #1 benefit he gets. It'll be taken away but he either doesn't realize it or is happy to have it taken away and have the nanny government tell him what he should eat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Food direct to recipients has been done before. My dad brought some home in the 60s that someone in the program gave him because they had more than they could possibly use. Cheese and peanut butter. Best damn peanut butter I have ever eaten. Made skippys taste like cardboard. Same with the cheese. That government spec stuff was amazing.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Food direct to recipients has been done before. My dad brought some home in the 60s that someone in the program gave him because they had more than they could possibly use. Cheese and peanut butter. Best damn peanut butter I have ever eaten. Made skippys taste like cardboard. Same with the cheese. That government spec stuff was amazing.
    Illegal AF. I grew up eating commodities. I remember getting leftover Desert Storm food. Dyhdrated pork chops. Lots of oatmeal. Canned chicken, beef, etc. Good stuff and it's alot better now. That being said, I think it's rather funny that the popular opinion on ST is to cut back the farm bill but when it's proposed (along with crop insurance) theirs whining from said crowd.

I would love it if the govt overhauled snap, etc with a short list of products like bread, milk, eggs, beans, etc. Available to everyone at grocery stores that there govt would reimburse the store for. There would be no social stigma, no fraud, healthier population, etc. ,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's rather funny that the popular opinion on ST is to cut back the farm bill but when it's proposed (along with crop insurance) theirs whining from said crowd.
    Wut

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't buy into the bull of "it would stigmatize" recipients from having to pick up their food. So, whipping out an easily identifiable EBT card or going to the Welfare office doens't do that?

And it doesn't have to be delivered, so that's a crutch argument. Next thing you know, people are going to defend people by stating it's ridiculous to expect people to cook their own meals.

And the $4 per person, multiplied by say four or 5 people is $16-$20 for a full day. You can feed a family of 4-5 dinner with $16-$20, easily if you cook. Spagetti and meat sause, casseroles, porkchops and chicken with a side of veggies...these are meals that can feed everyone well and healthy for $10-$15 and many, many more.

The $4 per day is ASSISTANCE, not their entire food budget unless they are entirely dependent on welfare.

Thread Information