Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    How many times do we hear.....best RB in the nation.....about some college kid? We all get the guy is talking the college game. No need to tell us anything about the NFL. Then there's HS, JC, NAIA, all the levels of the college game. We all get it.

This is no different, when talking greatness it's done by era, level. Simply common sense.

Gene "Big Daddy" Lipscomb was a monster in his day, the cat didn't even weigh 300 pounds.

Why something so obvious has to be explained...????
    Last edited by Avante; 02-15-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    No matter where ya find....THE GREATEST EVER....THE BEST EVER.....it wil look something like this...

Positional and franchise designations are taken directly from the list provided by the NFL Network. Note that in many cases, players played for more than one franchise and/or in more than one position.
    Rank Name Position First Last Franchise AP[4] PB[5]
    1 Jerry Rice 4 !WR 1985 2004 San Francisco 49ers 10 13
    2 Jim Brown 3 !FB 1957 1965 Cleveland Browns 8 9
    3 Lawrence Taylor 11 !LB 1981 1993 New York Giants 8 10
    4 Joe Montana 1 !QB 1979 1994 San Francisco 49ers 3 8
    5 Walter Payton 2 !RB 1975 1987 Chicago Bears 5 9
    6 Johnny Unitas 1 !QB 1956 1973 Baltimore Colts 5 10
    7 Reggie White 10 !DE 1985 2000 Philadelphia Eagles 8 13
    8 Peyton Manning 1 !QB 1998 2015 Indianapolis Colts 7 14
    9 Don Hutson 4 !WR 1935 1945 Green Bay Packers 4 8
    10 Butkus 11 !LB 1965 1973 Chicago Bears 5 8

Why do we always find Don Hutson listed, well? And what about old timers Jim Brown, John Unitas, Butkus doing there? What chance would they stand vs todays athlete, yep..................NOT ABOUT THAT AT ALL.
    Last edited by Avante; 02-15-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Earl Campbell
    Barry Sanders
    Lawrence Taylor
    Deacon Jones
    Deion Sanders

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    See the above....Earl Campbell? He isn't even in the top 30 All Time rushers. But....those of us who saw him play get the greatness....IN HIS TIME. The guy was a monster, would he be a monster today.....nope....but....it simply doesn't matter, it's never been about that.

Campbel wouldn't have enought quickness to tehole in todays game and his size not nearly as dramatic vs todays defenders than what he faced. But.....it just doesn't matter.

The only old timer from way back when who would STILL be just as dominate....Bob Hayes. His 10.06 speed is faster than anyone playing today.
    Last edited by Avante; 02-15-2018 at 05:22 PM.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Jerry Rice
    Lawrence Taylor
    Walter Payton
    Reggie White
    Ray Lewis

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Ronnie Lott was the best safety of his era, tbh. He is an unsung hero of those dominant 49er teams.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Earl Campbell
    Barry Sanders
    Lawrence Taylor
    Deacon Jones
    Deion Sanders
    GOAT, tbh. I had thought Marshall Faulk might've surpassed him; but he was slow out of the gates. And Adrian Peterson had a chance, too.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    The only RB where I had more......did I really just see that......over Gale Sayers was Barry Sanders. His ability to stop, start at the speed he did it, totally unique.

Over 2000 yards in a season and over 6 yards a carry, that is amazing. Had five seasons with a better than 5 yards a carry, who does that?
    Last edited by Avante; 02-15-2018 at 08:47 PM.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Ronnie Lott was the best safety of his era, tbh. He is an unsung hero of those dominant 49er teams.
    do you know what unsung hero means?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    and yeah, longevity/body of work is why i have payton on that list over sayers, bo, sanders

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    More tears.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Did people push you around as a kid and now in hiding...................

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Sad to watch those who know...0....about the game in with those of us who know everything about the game.

You had Jerry Rice number one, right?

I get this is over your head.....

When Hutson retired in 1945, he held 18 NFL records. He left the game with 488 pass receptions. The next player on the list had 190. His record of 99 career touchdown receptions stood for 44 years before Largent broke it, and still ranks ninth all time.

Here's another cat who knows the game.

There are some things in sports that one just accepts without hesitation. The New York Yankees are the greatest franchise in professional sports history. Michael Jordan is the greatest clutch player in basketball history. And Jerry Rice is the greatest wide receiver in NFL history.
    However, what if a closer examination revealed...that the general public might be wrong?
    What if Jerry Rice really isn't the greatest wide receiver in NFL history?
    What if somebody 50, 60, even 70 years ago was better?
    Accept it. It's true.
    Meet Don Hutson, wide receiver of the Green Bay Packers from 1935-1945.
    Don Hutson, the greatest wide receiver in the 89-year history of the National Football League.

To compare Hutson and Rice, I have chosen five different topics to focus on: supporting cast, longevity, postseason, impact on the game, and most importantly, a statistical analysis.
    And there wasn't a single black cornerback in the league to cover him, so the stats are completely irrelevant.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    GOAT, tbh. I had thought Marshall Faulk might've surpassed him; but he was slow out of the gates. And Adrian Peterson had a chance, too.
    I'd take Faulk because he was more dual threat. Sanders had 15,269 yards rushing but only 2,921 receiving (18,190 total). Faulk had 12,279 rushing and 6,875 receiving (19,154 total). Sanders had 109 total touchdowns. Faulk had 136.
    Last edited by Darth_Pelican; 02-16-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    See the above....Earl Campbell? He isn't even in the top 30 All Time rushers. But....those of us who saw him play get the greatness....IN HIS TIME. The guy was a monster, would he be a monster today.....nope....but....it simply doesn't matter, it's never been about that.

Campbel wouldn't have enought quickness to tehole in todays game and his size not nearly as dramatic vs todays defenders than what he faced. But.....it just doesn't matter.

The only old timer from way back when who would STILL be just as dominate....Bob Hayes. His 10.06 speed is faster than anyone playing today.
    I'm also a bit biased. He's from my hometown and the Houston connection. Guys here that were old enough to watch him in HS said it was like nothing they had ever seen. They said it wasn't uncommon for Earl to just drag/carry guys 20-30 yards to the end zone.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I'd take Faulk because he was more dual threat. Sanders had 15,269 yards rushing but only 2,921 receiving (18,190 total). Faulk had 12,279 rushing and 6,875 receiving (19,154 total). Sanders had 109 total touchdowns. Faulk had 136.
    faulk had 23 more games played, so to scale, sanders would have had more yardage, faulk more TD's.

and sanders hadn't exactly slown down yet when he retired. put up over 1700 all purpose yards in his final season, which was just 1 season after his 2000 yard rushing season.

in the meantime, faulk was draggin his feet his last 3 seasons. faulk had like 7-8 great seasons, sanders had 9. sanders just got bored of the game. only jim brown averaged more rushing yards per game for a career, and that's because he also retired early, so those guys didn't have a few lousy last years to drag their averages down. but shows they could have been great for another couple years

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Sanders did all his damage playing with turrible QB's and turrible offensive lines. I wouldn't hesitate to draft Sanders over Faulk. We start getting into face value rush/receiving stats and suddenly we're looking at Reggie Bush as a great, tbh.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    And there wasn't a single black cornerback in the league to cover him, so the stats are completely irrelevant.
    I mentioned that fact, but with 9.8 speed in the 30's he was as fast as any football playing blacks.

Find anything about the greatest NFLers ever and you will see Don Hutson mentioned. What happened is you don't know history, what a shame.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I'm also a bit biased. He's from my hometown and the Houston connection. Guys here that were old enough to watch him in HS said it was like nothing they had ever seen. They said it wasn't uncommon for Earl to just drag/carry guys 20-30 yards to the end zone.
    I have no problems at all picturing HS kids on his back, hanging on to whatever as Earl chugged on down the field, a legit monster...ESPECIALLY...vs HS kids.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Sanders averaged 5.0 yards a carry which is amazing over a 10 year career. Faulk just 4,3 which is pretty ordinary for "good" backs.

Faulk averaged 9.9 yards a reception, Sanders 8.3.

The big difference is teams couldn't zero in on Faulk because of Holt and Bruce, but....they could zero in on Sanders.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    The Top Five non QB old AFLers

1.Lance Alworth Chargers
    2.Cookie Gilchrist Bills
    3.Don Maynard Jets
    4.Ron Mix Chargers
    5.Abner Haynes Chiefs

Post Count
    1. Ronnie Lott
    2. Jerry Rice
    3. Emmitt Smith
    4. Barry Sanders
    5. Bo Jackson

H.M. Devin Hester, Derrick Coleman, Deion Sanders, Franco Harris.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Fifty years from now will it be.....Tom Brady, GRONK, Antonio Brown....among the greats, hahahaha~~~ Those old timers couldn't play today.

See how silly that is?

If ya understand the game then ya know it's all about vs the era.

High school offensive lines today that would dwarf those Lombardi Packer teams...........so what.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    1. Ronnie Lott
    2. Jerry Rice
    3. Emmitt Smith
    4. Barry Sanders
    5. Bo Jackson

H.M. Devin Hester, Derrick Coleman, Deion Sanders, Franco Harris.
    trying too hard tbh

Post Count
    trying too hard tbh
    True, meant Derrick Thomas tbh

Don't even know who Derrick Coleman is.

Thread Information