Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am the first one to say I don't Kawhi want playing anywhere else, but San Antonio. I hope that the information I was given doesn't pan out. I would hate the Spurs to trade Kawhi or hate to see him Not resign this summer. However, I like MaNu4Tres was given information by a very reliable source. I would never say who because that person is a very good friend and would hate for them to get in trouble. This person I know is legit and has no reason at all to lie. I believe what I was told. If that makes me wrong or dumb to believe it so be it. It doesn't matter to me. I actually hope the information told to me turns out to be nothing.
    Last edited by MoSpur02; 02-19-2018 at 03:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is all true and well said. Jalen and SAS are the ones that said he wants out. Who knows where they got that from.
    The uncle obviously...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am the first one to say I don't want playing anywhere else, but San Antonio. I hope that the information I was given doesn't pan out. I would hate the Spurs to trade Kawhi or hate to see him Not resign this summer. However, I like MaNu4Tres was given information by a very reliable source. I would never say who because that person is a very good friend and would hate for them to get in trouble. This person I know is legit and has no reason at all to lie. I believe what I was told. If that makes me wrong or dumb to believe it so be it. It doesn't matter to me. I actually hope the information told to me turns out to be nothing.
    Co sign.

Thanks Mo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grow to 6 foot 6 or taller, have absurdly large hands and wing span, then work your ass off for years to become a talented basketball player. Should be pretty simple, feel free to send me a check when you get it done.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't get to have this as fiat like you think. Kawhi is hurt (apparently) to a point where the team doctors don't know what's going on or when he's going to be back. Assuming he's healthy for a trade makes no sense, because he should have been healthy already. At this point, it's possible that it never gets better. That legitimately happens with injuries. One of the main sources of "rumor" that started this thread is about just such a thing -- Leonard getting a career-endangering diagnosis. So no, Kawhi has to be healthy first before we start acting like that's the player the team is trading away.
    So now you're going to tell me what I meant? However misguided you believe it to be, it was obvious I was operating under the assumption of this not being a career altering injury, at least in the short term. Until told otherwise, I always operate that way with injuries. So to me, until proven otherwise, Leonard is a top 3 player and retains the value that comes with that.

I find this hypocritical. You act like you position is self-evident and then complain if others don't hedge their stances enough. No one has said anything about what Boston would offer or even if they would offer, just like no one said anything about the Thunder being willing to trade Harden and Ibaka for Duncan despite you constantly bringing up how the Spurs should just make that trade. So acting as if Tatum and Brown is some objective standard for what Boston should offer or SA should accept is main inertia against a meaningful conversation. You can't just assume who's going to offer what and what PATFO will think is best out of what they'd get. It's just your opinion. I totally get not having to say "I think" or "In my opinion" about everything. It's annoying to do that when folks should be able to tell the difference between facts and beliefs. But what I don't get is the periodic cries of foul when something comes off as me trying to "be the smartest guy in the room". In a case about trading Kawhi, we're all equally in the dark, and any of us who are actually fans are quite concerned.
    Those are not one in the same. I'm clear and concise in what I'm saying. You on the other hand, have some awkward, convoluted writing style. Case in point is this supposed Harden and Ibaka for Duncan rumor you mention and your claim that I constantly supported Spurs doing that, when I'd never so much as heard of it. Bizarre.

Obviously this is in my opinion, but as you alluded to, that should go without saying. I didn't say Celtics would 100% offer this, I said, after doing due diligence, as long as they're confident in Leonard returning to form, they should offer it and if Spurs can't convince Leonard to re-sign, they should accept.

I didn't leave out their most valuable pick. The post you replied to specifically mentioned LAL/SAC and said that the other picks they had weren't great. As far as your attempt at finding an inconsistency, Boston damned sure shouldn't think a potential pick in the second half of the lottery is the same as a guy they JUST drafted at third. That's even more so given that Tatum was their first-overall prospect. It's fine for another team to disagree on Tatum's value (Philly and LAL did obviously), but for Boston to do it with their own picks is absurd.
    Fair enough.

Hield -- bench player now. Lavine and Dunn -- injured or having just come back (which hurts because Dunn was killing it for my FBB team). Williams and Beverly -- completely necessary salary for Houston to send out. Could not have done the trade without. Sabonis and Vic -- sucked relatively with OKC; no way was Sabonis certain. Those are the absolute downside for the Spurs outside of Dunn and Lavine (and the ninth pick), depending on how they work out. In a way, you're right that in this market, no one is getting traded for perceived value anymore. But at the same time, the closest example of a potential Leonard trade was the George trade, and Sabonis and Oladipo weren't too much different from Harris and two lottery picks (and getting rid of salary). In each or most of those deals, we saw Boston balk at including Tatum/the pick that would become Tatum. He did the same for Kyrie. I don't think he pull the trigger for Kawhi with Hayward coming back. I may not be a huge believer in Tatum, but he has done nothing to dissuade folks that liked him.
    I'm aware of the reasons why some were included, but the point stands: All were proven rotation players save for Dunn and Sabonis, who it was easy to envision as. People just overreacted to unimpressive rookie seasons and jumped to conclusions because that's how it works with this league, especially in this era.

Again, given what I said initially in this reply, George isn't in Leonard's class. You're also conveniently ignoring how the calculus changed from when Celtics were attempting to trade for George to now. They didn't have Hayward and Irving at that point. Adding a healthy Leonard would put the finishing touches on a certified contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like a couple of scenarios are being merged here which makes zero sense. I mean are people trying to say Kawhi is faking an injury because he's all the sudden not happy being a Spur? Or are people saying coincidentally Kawhi is unhappy while he is coping with his recent injury? lol

Wouldn't that be the stupidest thing an NBA player would do? I mean then he would be risking serious action from the team he is under contract with as well as with the NBA.

This all points to an injury problem nothing more. Which is serious within itself. Maybe beyond that arises a situation with a new contract, but that's after the fact.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like a couple of scenarios are being merged here which makes zero sense. I mean are people trying to say Kawhi is faking an injury because he's all the sudden not happy being a Spur? Or are people saying coincidentally Kawhi is unhappy while he is coping with his recent injury? lol

Wouldn't that be the stupidest thing an NBA player would do? I mean then he would be risking serious action from the team he is under contract with as well as with the NBA.

This all points to an injury problem nothing more. Which is serious within itself. Maybe beyond that arises a situation with a new contract, but that's after the fact.
    Or people are saying Kawhis Uncle has been in Kawhis ear about LA for his next contract, and that Spurs are irritated & frustrated with how Robertson is Kawhis' gatekeeper & feel Robertson has negatively effected the relationship between Kawhi and the Spurs.

Reading better can help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How fast people forget that Utah didn't give Hayward the max extension in 2014 then they just matched the offer he got. That's when they already lost him, not in 2017.

One of the most common reasons why teams lose their stars is when FOs are reluctant to pay big money to them. Plain and simple.
    Yes I think the Spurs know how important he is to the franchise. All this being said, they did give him a $90 million deal and this season is pretty telling in how much we need him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect that Kawhi is more concerned with getting max money than where he plays.

If anything explains Kawhi's behavior my bet is it's about money and/or the fear of losing it (at least in Kawhi's mind).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or people are saying Kawhis Uncle has been in Kawhis ear about LA for his next contract, and that Spurs are irritated & frustrated with how Robertson is Kawhis' gatekeeper & feel Robertson has negatively effected the relationship between Kawhi and the Spurs.

Reading better can help.
    Well I think your theory is lol, and I doubt it has much bearing around the injury situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect that Kawhi is more concerned with getting max money than where he plays.

If anything explains Kawhi's behavior my bet is it's about money and/or the fear of losing it (at least in Kawhi's mind).
    His existing contract with the Spurs is $90 million. He’s not scrambling for rent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I think your theory is lol, and I doubt it has much bearing around the injury situation.
    Well I think you need to do a better job reading. And thats not my theory.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 02-19-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can he get the Supermax from another team if he's traded? or are the Spurs the only team he can get it with?
    Last edited by Ice009; 02-20-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can he get the Supermax from another team if he's traded? or is the Spurs the only team he can get it with?
    Spurs are the only team that can give him the super max and if he’s traded, he can’t get it. That’s why Cousins wanted to re-sign in Sacramento, but Kings didn’t want to pay the super max to him so they traded him. The Pelicans couldn’t offer the super max.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can he get the Supermax from another team if he's traded? or is the Spurs the only team he can get it with?
    Spurs are the only team that can offer it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So how much does he lose if he walks away or gets traded compared to the supermax?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So how much does he lose if he walks away or gets traded compared to the supermax?
    I believe it allows the Spurs to offer $70 million more than everybody else. Hard to walk from that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm sure that's something he is concerned about. The question is how much he blames on poor luck and cir stance, and how much he blames the Spurs for misdiagnosing the injury which could theoretically end up costing him millions.

I don't subscribe to the theory that he is upset about the roster, and if he was, why would he bolt to L.A?

The Lakers have been mismanaged for half a decade, are still stuck with bloated contracts worse than Pau and Patty's, and gave away their best assets to Cleveland in a hail-mary attempt to make cap-space for Lebron (which, ironically, could backfire on them if the pieces they sent to the Cavs end up convincing him to stay).

They will still be the same piss-poor team they have been unless Lebron or PG decide to come...and even that's probably not enough to put them over the hump immediately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe it allows the Spurs to offer $70 million more than everybody else. Hard to walk from that.
    LA market endorsement money >>>>>>>>> 2nd round exits with Greg Popplevich.

I could tolerate Kahwi as a Clipper.
    If he becomes a Laker got, while the thought is stomach churning if he combined with Lebron it could be $$$ heaven for him for endorsements. Far surpass his Spurs salary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA market endorsement money >>>>>>>>> 2nd round exits with Greg Popplevich.

I could tolerate Kahwi as a Clipper.
    If he becomes a Laker got, while the thought is stomach churning if he combined with Lebron it could be $$$ heaven for him for endorsements. Far surpass his Spurs salary.
    HEB steps up...I think it has been put out there that guys like Kawhi don't make more in marketing if they go to LA to play. LeBron never went to NY or LA. He's in every commercial. Same with Westbrook. I think the $70 million wouldn't be made up in greater endorsement money, esp with a player that is non-charismatic off the court.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HEB steps up...I think it has been put out there that guys like Kawhi don't make more in marketing if they go to LA to play. LeBron never went to NY or LA. He's in every commercial. Same with Westbrook. I think the $70 million wouldn't be made up in greater endorsement money, esp with a player that is non-charismatic off the court.
    I remember listening to an interview by NBA super agent David Falk a year ago. Falk said in the interview when it comes to endorsements that location doesn't matter anymore due to the internet and social media.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he were traded this summer, he could sign Superman with new team, correct?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he were traded this summer, he could sign Superman with new team, correct?
    No, he can only sign the supermax with SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, he can only sign the supermax with SA
    If he takes the max, how does that affect them signing him help?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he takes the max, how does that affect them signing him help?
    They can go over the cap to re-sign him I believe. They would just have to sign the help before Kawhi signs his contract. Hopefully we get an agreement right away in July so we don't have to fret about this anymore.

Thread Information