View Poll Results: If Kawhi does not return this season, should the Spurs offer him the Super-Max?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 51.52%
  • No

48 48.48%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I replied to DPG21920 who posted the Spurs could say their doctors were wrong and Kawhi's right admitting a mistake just to avoid to give Kawhi the supermax.

In that scenario I doubt any FA would be comfortable with that Spurs' version.

We saw only a few teams making a medical mistake with their superstar in NBA history. It didn't work well for them in the next years.

That's why I doubt the Spurs would use that card against Kawhi.

The Spurs just could say they don't want to give him the supermax for a future rebuilding process like Bulls did with Jimmy Butler...

Or just suggest that Kawhi won't lead them to a winning record, WCF or NBA Finals like Sacramento did to avoid Cousins supermax...

Or just because he didn't play in the last months of season when he was cleared to play...

But again, they can't use the severity to the injury to avoid giving him the deal while at the same time they're saying he's able to play.

That's why, even though it happened or not, the Spurs wouldn't admit a medical mistake like DPG said..A statement like that, would f*ck the the team in long-term.
    I see what you're saying now. A hypothetical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This season would be the 3rd season. He is eligible for the super max this off season. If he doesn't get offered that this off season then he would have to try and make an all NBA team next season to requalify, that last part is the only thing I am unsure of.
    Exactly. We are in agreement. He is guaranteed to be eligible this off season but not necessarily next season. Which is why this is probably a make or break summer. He either is offered and signs the supermax or he is likely gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see what you're saying now. A hypothetical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once a player gets it in his head that he will never be as happy here as he will someplace else (Thanks, Unc.) trying to force him to play with a contract isn't gonna work. If he has gone to the point of not using Spur trainers and doctors and is rehabbing on his own, then he's probably not talking with the Spurs. And to say that about him means he is totally mute. Ya gotta have a relationship where you can talk straight with someone to work things out.

If he wants to go somewhere specific, the FO should see if they could work out a sign and trade with him this summer. That would give us some small leverage in a trade to get something in return for such a premier player. The Lebron shuffle has made superstar contracts almost immaterial since they can force trades or wait for free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he has gone to the point of not using Spur trainers and doctors and is rehabbing on his own, then he's probably not talking with the Spurs. And to say that about him means he is totally mute.
    Kawhi traveled to NYC with Spurs personnel during ASG break. He was working with a few Spurs trainners at NPBA gym in Manhattan.

Obviously he has his own trainners to summer workouts in San Diego, he was working with them at SDSU Jam last weekend but traveled again to NYC with the same Spurs' guys

His SD friends are trying to help him in practices but I wouldn't say he's not talking to the Spurs since they're there too.

I guess Kawhi is really fine with Spurs personnel, if you watched him during warm-ups they're the only few guys in world that have made Kawhi smile before a game.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 02-23-2018 at 12:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The extension can be signed in the offseason. Or are you risking the following off season?
    Didn't know that. In that case, I would sign him anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need to offer this to Kawhi unless they know 100% he will be injured and it’s career ending. Even then, you probably have to do it since if it goes that bad he can be paid by insurance

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes...

I’m tired of hearing about how the small market of SA is hindering his endorsement deals etc. that’s total BS. Kawhi has been in the league for 6 years..EVERYONE including himself will admit he wasn’t the superstar player coming into the league..he’s been Top 5 elite since LMA signed and he showed the world Game 1 of that season against OKC..

Look at Kevin Durant for example..he got his endorsement money/recognition in OKC!!! Why?? Because he was dominating AND was winning on arguably one of the best teams in the league...Kawhi can do the same and was on path doing so in SA. He finished top 3 in MVP voting last two seasons and one of the reasons is he was WINNING..:heck you can argue that he was the favorite this year...it’d probably be between him and Harden right now if he was healthy..and some would probably use CP3 as a crutch against Harden case.

If Kawhi wants out of SA it’s all because of the injury or handling of it and I do understand his side on things if that’s the case..but the recognition or Spurs not being good enough is total BS and if true he will find out the hard way if he doesn’t have success in the “limelight”
    Kawhi has only himself to blame for lack of endorsements. All the guys who get endorsements put themselves out there. Essentially they are all attention s . I'm surprised that a guy like Kawhi who is super private now wants a bunch of endorsements. You can't be a private person and expect to get a great shoe deal.
    Last edited by daslicer; 02-23-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stem cell therapy... do it now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No F_CKING WAY!!!
    His camp(ignorant sh$t stains) has disrespected PATFO and Tim Duncans name
    More than enough to send the Compton Cucks outta town

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need to offer this to Kawhi unless they know 100% he will be injured and it’s career ending. Even then, you probably have to do it since if it goes that bad he can be paid by insurance
    If they know it's a career ending injury, if they know he's injured, they shouldn't say he's able to play. Doesn't matter if the player is Kawhi or a rookie playing 5 mpg...That's low.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they know it's a career ending injury, if they know he's injured, they shouldn't say he's able to play. Doesn't matter if the player is Kawhi or a rookie playing 5 mpg...That's low.
    If they know it won’t get any worse, but there is nothing to do to solve it, it makes perfect sense to clear him to play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus his own doctors cleared him as well. Not just SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm surprised that a guy like Kawhi who is super private now wants a bunch of endorsements.
    I never heard Kawhi saying he wants more endoserments or spotlight, did you? Not sure why someone would believe a rumor like this after seeing Kawhi's low profile in his six years in SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus his own doctors cleared him as well. Not just SA.
    Skip said some of his own doctors/non-Spurs doctors/outside doctors -can't remember what terms he used- saw something in his leg, not a structural damage but something that could bother him.

I doubt every doctors' opinion was coincident, like I doubt every doctor cleared him to play.

But again, Kawhi doesn't play basketball for his own doctors...If the team he plays for know it's a career ending injury shouldn't cleared him when he still feels pain. Plain and simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skip said some of his own doctors or non-Spurs doctors -can't remember- saw something in his leg, not a structural damage but something that could bother him.

I doubt every doctors' opinion was coincident, like I doubt every doctor cleared him to play.

But again, Kawhi doesn't play basketball for his own doctors...If the team he plays for know it's a career ending injury, shouldn't cleared him. Plain and simple.
    You are either purposely ignoring things or just missing everything.

By career ending, i’m Not saying he literally won’t play again. I’m talking about an injury that won’t get any worse by playing, they have done all they can do, but that will degenerate over time and there is nothing you can do about that.

Under that cir stance it makes sense. Even then, it’s not like Kawhi would retire today if that were true. He would play until he could no longer play and just has to understand there is nothing that can be done .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By career ending, i’m Not saying he literally won’t play again.
    I guess you confuse career ending injury with career altering injury.

Anyway, if it's a career altering injury, if the team knows the severity of injury and he feels pain now, they know he's not able to play.

I'm talking about an injury that won't get any worse by playing
    Quad tendinopathies are exactly the type of injuries that get worse by playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have done all they can do, but that will degenerate over time and there is nothing you can do about that.
    If that's the case, I find so weird that Spurs doctors knowing it's degenerative they still said there is not structural damage. In six years they could have seen the changes in his quad and the real damage.

The other doctors who don't find structural damage, they are not saying it's degenerative or career altering injury like the Spurs' doctors do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those interested:

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is that part even remotely true?
    Perception is reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a damn good podcast on Kawhi..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. That’s the only way we keep him. Otherwise, he’s gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi doesn’t get his cake and to eat it to. “Kawhi, you were right and we were wrong. So based on what you and YOUR people said, your injury truly was severe and because of what you and YOUR team said we cannot offer that SuperMax. We agree with you and as evidenced as you not being able to play. Etc. Etc..
    It's not that complicaed. They simply have to say that if he doesn't feel like he can go even after a year, they can't feel comfortable that he'll play enough games. That's what this comes down to, not whether the team believes he's legitimately hurt. They're can't and wouldn't force Leonard to play, so him feeling the pain and holding himself out is for all intents and purposes and injury for contract purposes. Without him having come back and shown he's over the pain, they can't feel comfortable that he will do his duty.

A part-time Kawhi (no matter what the reasons) is not worth the super max. A part-time Kawhi isn't getting SA a le., especially as the lead dog. Folks need to come to terms with that. There's a limit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems simple enough. If Kawhi regarded himself as the leader and face of the Spurs he would quash the rumors.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems simple enough. If Kawhi regarded himself as the leader and face of the Spurs he would quash the rumors.
    Needs more rest

Thread Information