Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too late to tank. Other teams have already lost too many games. Why tank to get a low end lottery pick? Better off trying to win 50 games and make a run in the playoffs to create the illusion that SA is still a contender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you underestimate their "enthusiasm." While Kawhi is the undoubted #1 option, LMA has stepped up in most games. I suspect his promotion (even if by default) to #1 option has increased his enthusiasm. Tony and Manu are multi-NBA champions. They will play with the same pride and enthusiasm they always have. Coming back from injury and playing for a better organization than his old team, Rudy will play with pride and enthusiasm. Heck he is playing for his next contract - or possibly to become the Spurs' #2 option. Danny, likewise, is playing for a contract; and I think he has played with a lot of energy and enthusiasm. Most everybody else is a young gun trying to prove himself and perhaps gain a roster spot (with some team) next season. Patty... no pressure, still seems to play with a lot of energy even if his D is TURRIBLE and his shot is gone. I don't think any of those guys depends on Kawhi's presence in order to play with "enthusiasm." Could it be that you are projecting? No doubt, Kawhi's absence dampens the enthusiasm of many, if not most, fans.
    No, i'm not.
    No Kiwhi means no chance at a le...and the outcome of the last games till now suggest that, as a young talent level, with no Kiwhi we are not a play offs team.
    We had a wonderful schedule, the best till now...now cames the worst part.
    And experienced people like Manu and TP knows that...
    Coming to the single players.
    No chance at a le, for a veteran, means less enthusiasm to play.
    Alridge has already accomplished his main goals (being at the All Star game and show he is still an all star player and deserved his contract...thatn as of now looks like a good contract). So no chance at a le means he colud start thinking to better preserve his body for next season.
    Manu is showing the normal pains of an aged body who's being asked this year to carry the load more than his body can, and his contract is for another year...so its logical he's gonna think he should better preserve the last energyes for a last run next year than for this one. TP and Gay both come from a bad injuryes and have already shown that, if healed, they can contribute some...but at this point is logical they're gonna think is better for them ton treat their bodies well and avoid further risks of re-injury. Them both, like Pau, are veterans that understand is better to preserve their body for a real run next year (Pau is under contract, imho Gay is gonna pick up his option and Tony will be given some years at the minimum a la Manu as a point guard reserve role).
    Green has a weird situation in the sense that's true he's playing for a contract, but its also true that his nagging groin injuries have been recurrent this year, so he could also think that's better not to play too hard with his body... if he's gonna injure himself he has only the chance to opt in next year (p.o. year).
    Mills is playing like this year...and his enthusiasm this season has probably been more for the table (I mean for eating and drinking stuff) than for the court, thanks for the summer contract he signed.
    You are right that the young guns (Murray, Bertans, Forbes, Jolo, Kyle, White, Paul) should be enthusiastic to exploit the opportunity to play, but none of them, except for some games, till now has shown enough talent to carry the team or be considered a potential future star...and they can't be asked too much. So their enthusiasm, considering the situation, also if present and big at the beginning, is gonna be limited game by game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, i'm not.
    No Kiwhi means no chance at a le...and the outcome of the last games till now suggest that, as a young talent level, with no Kiwhi we are not a play offs team.
    We had a wonderful schedule, the best till now...now cames the worst part.
    And experienced people like Manu and TP knows that...
    Coming to the single players.
    No chance at a le, for a veteran, means less enthusiasm to play.
    Alridge has already accomplished his main goals (being at the All Star game and show he is still an all star player and deserved his contract...thatn as of now looks like a good contract). So no chance at a le means he colud start thinking to better preserve his body for next season.
    Manu is showing the normal pains of an aged body who's being asked this year to carry the load more than his body can, and his contract is for another year...so its logical he's gonna think he should better preserve the last energyes for a last run next year than for this one. TP and Gay both come from a bad injuryes and have already shown that, if healed, they can contribute some...but at this point is logical they're gonna think is better for them ton treat their bodies well and avoid further risks of re-injury. Them both, like Pau, are veterans that understand is better to preserve their body for a real run next year (Pau is under contract, imho Gay is gonna pick up his option and Tony will be given some years at the minimum a la Manu as a point guard reserve role).
    Green has a weird situation in the sense that's true he's playing for a contract, but its also true that his nagging groin injuries have been recurrent this year, so he could also think that's better not to play too hard with his body... if he's gonna injure himself he has only the chance to opt in next year (p.o. year).
    Mills is playing like this year...and his enthusiasm this season has probably been more for the table (I mean for eating and drinking stuff) than for the court, thanks for the summer contract he signed.
    You are right that the young guns (Murray, Bertans, Forbes, Jolo, Kyle, White, Paul) should be enthusiastic to exploit the opportunity to play, but none of them, except for some games, till now has shown enough talent to carry the team or be considered a potential future star...and they can't be asked too much. So their enthusiasm, considering the situation, also if present and big at the beginning, is gonna be limited game by game.
    Well, I disagree with your projections, so we will just have to see how this last part of the season goes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now it’s time to tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs aren't tanking.

This is the same unbalanced roster that was #3 in the West having one of the most easiest schedules in the league, then they started to face good teams just before the ASG break...they didn't look that well in those games.

But I wouldn't use injuries as an excuse...Other teams did well having one, two stars injured. Boston missed Hayward for the season and still won many games without Irving. Mediocre-Pels are in a winning streak without Boogie...

At some point of this month Pop will stop playing his weird lineups and the Spurs will make playoffs/pass the first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Spurs can't even beat Utah without Gobert and Mitc .
    As much as I like Snyder and his team, last time I checked...they weren't making playoffs this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, no Kawhi is a way bigger impact than most of the guys you mentioned. Not to mention, SA is STILL in the playoff hunt which shows you many things: these other teams aren’t doing much to catch the Spurs themselves or distance themselves because the West is hard. It also shows that SA, even with an “easy schedule” to start did more with those opportunities than other teams. SA has played really damn well lately but the last minute meltdowns leave a sour taste.

Kawhi out is more important than a brand new Hayward, Boogie or any other player mentioned and its not close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I like Snyder and his team, last time I checked...they weren't making playoffs this year.
    Good news for the Spurs then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't want to believe the Spurs would tank but I am starting to feel its happening. Aldridge's injury didn't look severe & for him to miss a game and a half for it so far is ridiculous. I didn't watch one second of the Lakers game but the result didn't surprise me. This team is straight up trash w/o Leonard or Aldridge playing and might be trash with them. What an ass-whip, depressing season for Spurs fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SA has played really damn well lately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how about 8th seed and go all out on these warriors play with no pressure get a feel for them for next year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It also shows that SA, even with an “easy schedule” to start did more with those opportunities than other teams.
    If the Spurs had an easy schedulle that could mean other potential rivals had harder schedulles early in the season. But now, in the way the Spurs play this month will show if their top seeding was the product of the schedulle or not.

SA has played really damn well lately but the last minute meltdowns leave a sour taste.
    I wouldn't say they played great but they competed.

I LOVE them, I still believe they could pass 1st round without Kawhi but I would say this is an unbalanced roster even if they were #1 in the whole league.
    Too many guards, lack of true shooters, some questionable summer decisions...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how about 8th seed and go all out on these rockets play with no pressure get a feel for them for next year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamarcus has started to miss games at this point. He was a workhorse all season but is lately getting injured.
    Two before the ASB, were losses. Two recently (early Pelicans ankle tweak) both losses. It's not just the impact that he has, you are left playing Gasol 30+ minutes and he's been a negative player often. He gets exposed in matchup in fast tempo, against shooters. In the PNR etc. He has his positives still but he's not a 30+ minutes player anymore, then you have Joff. He's finally finishing at the rim better but when Davis is defensively better than him, you know that Joff is an absolute traffic cone with no length to really contest shots the bench has been awful.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the Spurs tanking doesn't necessarily mean a lottery pick.

The Spurs organization can mold most late round college prospects into solid NBA rotation players. Sure they whiff on a few and sure some of the rotation players are end of the bench rotation players, but never the less they have been great at developing players that no one would have even realistically taken a chance on.

Thus, if the spurs can get a pick at #11 or #12.... lookout! Wont be the leagues next superstar but I trust their talent evaluation and development process enough to turn that pick into a very productive NBA starter which is really all the Spurs need at this point next to LA, Kawhi, and Murray.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft and stash

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are not..It is just a poorly constructed team with a washed-up coach finally getting shown up for all to see ..

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    1 game out of 9th seed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying to tank nothing ... they are really just this bad

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. They're clearly tanking. The Spurs have proven they're even great at tanking. They saw the season was lost and now they're doing their best to throw games.

It's a fairly deep draft. There's value to be found in the late lottery.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are not..It is just a poorly constructed team with a washed-up coach finally getting shown up for all to see ..
    This tbh.

Pop has been done for a few years now & him & RC the bed last summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think they are tanking. They aren't a good team without Kawhi. Many core members are very old, injury prone, or washed up. Then they have a young cast that's quite green.

So perhaps it is time to focus on the silver lining.

Jeff's take:

Last edited by SAGirl; 03-12-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Thread Information