Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't totally disagree with you about the draft picks. Hindsight is always 20-20 about guys that were drafted later that became better, and I won't play that game. My initial comment, with which you took issue was based on the (perhaps questionable) assumption that if the Spurs cut ties with Pop, then they would cut ties with his man, RC. I think the FA moves have been worse than a mixed bag, though, and I think those are also extremely important in a rebuild. And finally, I do not believe the same old approach to signing fading vets to complement a 3-star HOF core will cut it in an era when the only "star" at the core is LMA.
    Your post said you hope for them to cut Buford.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your post said you hope for them to cut Buford.
    It said I hoped they cut ties with PATFO - as I said, thinking of Pop and RC as a package. But based on the FA moves, I would not advocate keeping RC and parting with Pop any more than I would advocate keeping Pop and parting with RC.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It said I hoped they cut ties with PATFO - as I said, thinking of Pop and RC as a package.
    That's ridiculous given this team's draft history the last twenty years. This team needs to find another Leonard, another Ginobili, or another Parker to try to build around (or luck into another Duncan or Robinson). You're not going to get those in free agency if you're not a glamorous market like LA, Miami, Golden State, etc. The draft is the only reasonable option for acquiring top tier talent and you're advocating dumping perhaps the most successful GM in league history when it comes to the draft. It makes no sense whatsoever.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Indeed I do, considering he drafted Ginobili, Giricek, Parker, Scola, Splitter, Hill, effectively Leonard, and Murray despite never having (nor trading for) a lottery pick.
    drafted dragic too. but he was traded for malik hairston

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's ridiculous given this team's draft history the last twenty years. This team needs to find another Leonard, another Ginobili, or another Parker to try to build around (or luck into another Duncan or Robinson). You're not going to get those in free agency if you're not a glamorous market like LA, Miami, Golden State, etc. The draft is the only reasonable option for acquiring top tier talent and you're advocating dumping perhaps the most successful GM in league history when it comes to the draft. It makes no sense whatsoever.
    I doubt either one of us will get to see his hypothetical tested. As for your hypothetical scenario: I do not know what I expect to happen with Kawhi, but unless PATFO move him for a high pick they are not likely to draft a Ginobili, Parker, Leonard, Duncan or DRob next draft. I expect they will also retain plenty of their old guys, thus insuring the current trajectory continues. As for my hypothetical, I thoroughly expect PATFO to return.

Btw, I think PATFO could have kept a guy or two through the years if Boner hadn't had all of those incriminating photos. Moreover, I think that they can attract FAs to San Antonio - maybe not many superstars, but guys with some upside and not the over-the-hill variety or the Emergency Room convalescents.

People like to compare the Spurs to the NE Patriots. In the way they operate, however, they are a complete contrast. The Pats constantly re-invigorate their roster by replacing an old guy with an up-and-comer who they allow to grow into the position. As a consequence they often start the season playing pretty poorly before making a push to their customary Super Bowl berth. It is that kind of evolution that has escaped PATFO in arriving at this juncture. A team needs a regular infusion of fresh, young blood - even if it is only a single, good young player every year or two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    drafted dragic too. but he was traded for malik hairston
    They do draft well, given their consistently poor position. But very few of those guys end up as Spurs beyond their rookie deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt either one of us will get to see his hypothetical tested. As for your hypothetical scenario: I do not know what I expect to happen with Kawhi, but unless PATFO move him for a high pick they are not likely to draft a Ginobili, Parker, Leonard, Duncan or DRob next draft. I expect they will also retain plenty of their old guys, thus insuring the current trajectory continues. As for my hypothetical, I thoroughly expect PATFO to return.

Btw, I think PATFO could have kept a guy or two through the years if Boner hadn't had all of those incriminating photos. Moreover, I think that they can attract FAs to San Antonio - maybe not many superstars, but guys with some upside and not the over-the-hill variety or the Emergency Room convalescents.

People like to compare the Spurs to the NE Patriots. In the way they operate, however, they are a complete contrast. The Pats constantly re-invigorate their roster by replacing an old guy with an up-and-comer who they allow to grow into the position. As a consequence they often start the season playing pretty poorly before making a push to their customary Super Bowl berth. It is that kind of evolution that has escaped PATFO in arriving at this juncture. A team needs a regular infusion of fresh, young blood - even if it is only a single, good young player every year or two.
    They've usually done pretty well in terms of the buyout market (2 of which recently were instrumental in bringing us a championship) and utilizing the G-League to develop guys. They've been adding young players for a while. I would feel pretty confident that if the Pats had a Developmental League, they would follow a similar path an utilize it well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, let's run off the GOAT coach bc Kawhi wants to go to a bigger market to grow his brand. That would really stabilize things.

This team almost won 50 with Kawhi being a got all year, with injuries to Gay, LMA, Green, etc. They aren't getting another Kawhi but put an all-star level player at SF instead of Fathead and this is still a 55-60 win team.
    ur making some huge assumptions...nowhere has kawhi ever indicated or implied anything

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've usually done pretty well in terms of the buyout market (2 of which recently were instrumental in bringing us a championship) and utilizing the G-League to develop guys. They've been adding young players for a while. I would feel pretty confident that if the Pats had a Developmental League, they would follow a similar path an utilize it well.
    I think the Spurs have been pretty hit-and-miss on buyouts, but that's not really what I am even talking about. Those guys are rarely signed with the aim of keeping them as long-term additions to the rotation. Who besides Diaw?

As far as the G League goes, the Spurs had two guys on the roster this season (Costello and Paul) who "came up" via that route, and neither of them is likely to be around next season. Posters on ST are greatly divided over recent draft picks that are still with the team (Kyle and Dijon), and nearly unanimous in giving the thumbs down to the remaining "new guy" (Lauvergne). Danny and 50Mills (on whom posters are also divided) have been around for quite awhile now, but they are the best examples since Bruce Bowen of PATFO's signing youngish FAs with upside to develop. I just don't see the Spurs' pipeline as being that productive for the Spurs. It seems like the Spurs have been more of a conduit for players to enter the league and move on to other teams. The cupboard seems pretty bare for a team that aspires to be a serious contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi leaves this off-season I hope (and almost expect) ownership parts company with Pop and RC and bring in a new regime to clean up the mess.
    Mess?????

What coach or GM would do better exactly? You should be a Knicks fans.. That's a stable organization..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pressure for him to return will only ramp up if we make the playoffs? Other stars like Curry are coming back but maybe not until round 2.. And he is probably more serious hurt than KL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WOJ has been exposed as a complete fraud this season smhhh

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pressure for him to return will only ramp up if we make the playoffs? Other stars like Curry are coming back but maybe not until round 2.. And he is probably more serious hurt than KL.
    I'm hoping the Spurs can get out of the first round. I think they have a good chance as long as they avoid the Warriors and the Rockets. If the spurs get out of round 1 he's going to feel a lot more pressure and these haters can't say that the teams is complete trash without him.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Not really. He doesn't have Spurs sources. The only Spurs insiders reside in this forum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping the Spurs can get out of the first round. I think they have a good chance as long as they avoid the Warriors and the Rockets. If the spurs get out of round 1 he's going to feel a lot more pressure and these haters can't say that the teams is complete trash without him.
    Yep especially with stars like Curry and Embiid coming back for the playoffs. Embiid will coming off surgery for a fractured orbital bone. What is your excuse again Kawhi? Oh i forgot you don't speak.. Or play..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. He doesn't have Spurs sources. The only Spurs insiders reside in this forum.
    The true prophets tbh. I wonder if Woj and company browse through this forum

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep especially with stars like Curry and Embiid coming back for the playoffs. Embiid will coming off surgery for a fractured orbital bone. What is your excuse again Kawhi? Oh i forgot you don't speak.. Or play..
    I feel these haters in the media will have to start acknowledge that if the Spur get out of the first round without Kawhi that he punted on possibly winning a championship this year. I want Kawhi to feel that pressure and scrutiny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah... he had a source... Kiwi just backed out after trying to return.. again...

"his rehab has not always been linear" - RC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    media spinning this... march came and went... nothing

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    media spinning this... march came and went... nothing

Are you kyle anderson?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    National media comes to SA for Houston game and final 4...Kawhi goes to NY. Coincidence? I don't think he likes getting asked questions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    National media comes to SA for Houston game and final 4...Kawhi goes to NY. Coincidence? I don't think he likes getting asked questions.
    Sounds like he decided to go to New York at this time on purpose, maybe not to get cleared like we've thought, but more just to get out of town. If he has for that reason, he's turning into one of the biggest es of all-time. I hope that I am wrong on all of this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like he decided to go to New York at this time on purpose, maybe not to get cleared like we've thought, but more just to get out of town.
    Don't be so harsh.

Perhaps Kawhi just went to New York for the nicer weather.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff McDonald gonna lose his sponsors if he keeps this up. I am offended and will take action.

Thread Information