Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    36-25 is not "playing well". They are a mediocre club without him and just getting by.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a point that I suspect they also struggle with. They pushed Kawhi to be that leader, but he's 26 and has been the best player in the team for a couple of years now prior to this one (maybe more) so if him not taking ownership of the team hasn't happened already, it's safe to say that this is far as he goes.

Retirement from players such as Timmy D usually rock franchises to their deep core, and the Spurs managed as well as they could. They were bound to hit some rocky coasts navigating past Timmy's era and this summer is going to be one it seems.

I wouldn't assume much from Kiwi's silence. I have accepted it as him avoiding the media, which he doesn't want to speak to even in his best moments, so I expect that in his worst (when he's injured and having doubts about everyone/everything/every treatment and physical therapy that hasn't worked/ and when he's frustrated) he would not want to speak to them either. At this point, I only expect him to say anything when he's ready to play like it was earlier in the season. For weeks we didn't have any updates whatsoever until he said that he was getting ready to get back and play (even then he was very cryptic when asked about his injury but that is his right).

This has been a nice chat. I still hope for the best, both that he returns and that Dijon and others step up the rest of the season.
    As I have posted elsewhere, I believe Kawhi owes his legion of fans more than months of silence - whether he is naturally so inclined or not. I, therefore, read more into his absence/silence than you.

See ya in the game thread!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    36-25 is not "playing well".
    You should be a Lakers fan for the last five years.

Or the next five years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe Kawhi owes his legion of fans more than months of silence - whether he is naturally so inclined or not. I, therefore, read more into his absence/silence than you.
    Yeah, Kawhi's silence is downright bizarre even for someone who may be socially tonedeaf.

He either (1) means something by it or (2) doesn't care or (3) is even more dense than anyone imagined.

None of the above are comforting for Spurs fans or the team's PR-conscious management.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me it all depends on his injury if it’s going to be chronic like Rose then the answer is NO. Also Kawhi has always been a little different I am wondering if he has some type of social disorder that may be coming into play. But if he is healthy and nothing chronic with his body and mind you sign him for life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Kawhi's silence is downright bizarre even for someone who may be socially tonedeaf.

He either (1) means something by it or (2) doesn't care or (3) is even more dense than anyone imagined.

None of the above are comforting for Spurs fans or the team's PR-conscious management.
    No matter how you slice it, it is a complete refutation of the team's dictum of the last several years that the Spurs were Kawhi's team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team is playing well without him and given all the drama he’s caused the Spurs this year with his “injury”, word around the locker room is that a number of players are pissed at him and wanted him traded at the deadline. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the team chemistry go to sheet once he’s back and players quit trying since Kawhi sat out the entire regular season because “he’s above all that.” A lot of the veterans are especially angry because Kawhi gets a lot of accolades without putting in the work.

Just something for all you wankers getting massive boners about Kawhi’s potential return need to consider. We’ve played better without him this year than with him. We started a perfect 4-0 without this cancerous “superstar.” But, hey, isn’t it great we have a Carmelo on our team tbh?
    Hey guy yourself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey guy yourself
    Thanks!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point I am no more committed to Kawhi than he is to his legion of fans or the Spurs organization.
    Who fans? The fans who say the team don't need him?

The fans who are willing to believe in stupid rumors instead of trusting in the work ethic he showed during six years here?

For the record no one of the Big3 talked about Erin Barry, Tim's divorce, or any rumor about teammates trades in public during their years on the team. Kawhi won't talk about stupid rumors either.

I question whether such a character (aside from basketball skill) is a strong foundation for a sports team to build on - especially the Spurs. He is a superstar talent but lacks other aspects ofa true superstar.
    Who?

LeBron? He's Team Lebron. He has manipulated gm, coaches just for his own legacy...He isn't exactly a franchise guy, he left Cleveland before, likely will do it again.

Durant?

PG13? Throwing under the bus his teammates after a playoff game?

Bizarre CP3 in the Clippers locker room this season?

Yeah...These players love media but unlike Kawhi they aren't team-guys.

He will never call a coach/teammate out in public...He will never talk about his numbers or stats nor put them over team success...

The fans? We the fans don't deserve a player like Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The fans who are willing to believe in stupid rumors instead of trusting in the work ethic he showed during six years here?

For the record no one of the Big3 talked about Erin Barry, Tim's divorce, or any rumor about teammates trades in public during their years on the team. Kawhi won't talk about stupid rumors either.

Who?

LeBron? He's Team Lebron. He has manipulated gm, coaches just for his own legacy...He isn't exactly a franchise guy, he left Cleveland before, likely will do it again.

Durant?

He will never call a coach/teammate out in public...He will never talk about his numbers or stats nor put them over team success...

word

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Or he could be just trying to focus on trying to get back in condition to come back which is what is much needed right now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or im gay and need a man right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Who?

Durant?

Personal lives/gossip/rumors are not comparable to basketball-related injuries.

As for how a superstar handles things differently, you don't need to look any further than the Spurs. At the same time that Kawhi was silent/absent, we Spurs fans got updates about Tony's injury status/progress. Same thing with Manu when he was recuperating from testicular surgery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or he could be just trying to focus on trying to get back in condition to come back which is what is much needed right now.
    Occasional updates from Tony about his rehab didn't seem to distract him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on if they still have a realistic shot at making the playoffs. 19 games left and a lot of them (10-15) don't look very winnable with the team's current state.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on if they still have a realistic shot at making the playoffs. 19 games left and a lot of them (10-15) don't look very winnable with the team's current state.
    Frankly I think fewer than that are realistically winnable unless teams assured of a slot start resting for playoffs. Even with Kawhi back on minutes restriction, how many of those games are realistically winnable?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly I think fewer than that are realistically winnable unless teams assured of a slot start resting for playoffs. Even with Kawhi back on minutes restriction, how many of those games are realistically winnable?

Houston and GS are losses (0-4)

Sac, Orlando and Memphis should be wins, even without Kawhi. (3-4)

Winnable games: Minnesota, LAC/LAL, Mil, Washington, Utah (say they win 5 of 7, 8-6)

Tough ones: OKC, NO, Port (maybe win 2 of 5 with Kawhi and LMA, 10-9)

If they go 10-9 (probably too optimistic) that might be enough to get the 6th or 7th seed, but with how the team has blown games recently who knows if they can even accomplish that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personal lives/gossip/rumors are not comparable to basketball-related injuries.

As for how a superstar handles things differently, you don't need to look any further than the Spurs. At the same time that Kawhi was silent/absent, we Spurs fans got updates about Tony's injury status/progress. Same thing with Manu when he was recuperating from testicular surgery.
    Pop talked about Parker's progress before anyone. If the team didn't talk about Kawhi training in SD and NYC it's not Kawhi's fault.

I also doubt when you posted about other "true superstars" you were talking about Manu/Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston and GS are losses (0-4)

Sac, Orlando and Memphis should be wins, even without Kawhi. (3-4)

Winnable games: Minnesota, LAC/LAL, Mil, Washington, Utah (say they win 5 of 7, 8-6)

Tough ones: OKC, NO, Port (maybe win 2 of 5 with Kawhi and LMA, 10-9)

If they go 10-9 (probably too optimistic) that might be enough to get the 6th or 7th seed, but with how the team has blown games recently who knows if they can even accomplish that.
    The team's record in the last 10 games is, what - 2-8? I don't see how you expect them to turn it around and go better than .500 from here on out. Kawhi will, doubtless, be on serious minutes restriction- even if he returns. I had a similar at ude as you until the last couple of games. At this point I would rather have as many ping-pong balls as we can get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team's record in the last 10 games is, what - 2-8? I don't see how you expect them to turn it around and go better than .500 from here on out. Kawhi will, doubtless, be on serious minutes restriction- even if he returns. I had a similar at ude as you until the last couple of games. At this point I would rather have as many ping-pong balls as we can get.
    The last two games were played without LMA (effectively). That, more than Kawhi, is probably the more immediate ray of hope. If he's back after Memphis, Rasu's projections are possible.

Of course, I've been drinking a lot lately!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop talked about Parker's progress before anyone. If the team didn't talk about Kawhi training in SD and NYC it's not Kawhi's fault.

I also doubt when you posted about other "true superstars" you were talking about Manu/Parker.
    I am not sure what your point is about Pop. I think it just shows that there was open communication between Tony and PATFO, and Pop was at liberty to pass information to the fans.

I do regard Tony and Manu as superstars. Doubt it if you like. The point is that I find Kawhi's absence/silence bizarre. If you don't, that's fine. Neither perspective matters. What matters is whether Kawhi's health is 100% and stable going forward, and that he and the Spurs are now on the same (harmonious) page.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last two games were played without LMA (effectively). That, more than Kawhi, is probably the more immediate ray of hope. If he's back after Memphis, Rasu's projections are possible.

Of course, I've been drinking a lot lately!!!
    It's a shame you are on the other side of the pond. I am sure you could have rounded up a bunch of drinking buddies here on ST.

Well, I am not really a betting man, so I guess we will just have to let the season play out. But I will be surprised if we go 10-9. (As you saw last night in the game thread, i continue to root for the team to win every game - even if my predictions are gloomy and my preference would be to get a high lottery pick. It is just as ingrained in me to root for my team as it is Pop's not to tank.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team is playing well without him and given all the drama he’s caused the Spurs this year with his “injury”, word around the locker room is that a number of players are pissed at him and wanted him traded at the deadline. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the team chemistry go to sheet once he’s back and players quit trying since Kawhi sat out the entire regular season because “he’s above all that.” A lot of the veterans are especially angry because Kawhi gets a lot of accolades without putting in the work.

Just something for all you wankers getting massive boners about Kawhi’s potential return need to consider. We’ve played better without him this year than with him. We started a perfect 4-0 without this cancerous “superstar.” But, hey, isn’t it great we have a Carmelo on our team tbh?
    Yes you stupid .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes you stupid .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kl is a bum. Manu and tony were better. Manu still is. Get over it. Hes a loser

Thread Information