Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    What it tells us is that the Legion of Boom-era Seahawks had the best five-year run of any defense in post-merger NFL history:

Rank Team Years Standard Score 2013-2017 PPG
    10 Cowboys 1992-1996 -1.98 18.3
    9 Steelers 1972-1976 -1.99 18.3
    8 Ravens 2008-2012 -2.09 18.1
    7 Rams 1973-1977 -2.11 18.1
    6 Buccaneers 1999-2003 -2.13 18.0
    5 Eagles 2000-2004 -2.17 17.9
    4 49ers 2009-2013 -2.27 17.7
    3 Steelers 2007-2011 -2.57 17.1
    2 Bears 1984-1988 -2.72 16.7
    Seahawks 2012-2016 -2.72 16.7

The Seahawks are just narrowly ahead of the legendary Bears defenses of the mid-1980s. The Seahawks were 2.724 standard deviations below the mean, and the Bears were right behind them at 2.715. If your defense is being compared to the Mike Singletary-era Bears, you're doing something right. The other side of that is also true: The Sherman-and-Thomas Seahawks set a mark that the rest of the league is going to chase for decades to come. Even if this day inevitably had to come for Seattle, there's no joy to be had in seeing one of the best units in NFL history splitting up and going their separate ways.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-nfl-offseason

And people still try to give Struggle all the credit for Seattle's success. Truth is, he just managed the game while the greatest defense in post-merger history carried him.

By the way, guess who doesn't appear on that list: none of Montana's teams, none of Rodgers' teams, none of Favre's teams, none of Brady's teams, none of Brees' teams. So much for the "but every winning QB has stacked teams!" excuse.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    CN with the bombs revelation that the seahawks have had a great defense in recent years

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Everyone I know who really gets the game can't say enought good things about Russell Wilson.

This kind of thing all over the place.

That belief that “it’s going to happen” has helped turn Wilson into one of the**** best late-game quarterbacks in his era****, and it’s a big reason why he was able to lead a three-play, 80-yard touchdown drive to win Sunday’s game against the Texans moments after throwing what could have been a game-deciding interception.

Moments after Wilson threw that interception, Wilson got together with his teammates and told them, “Hey, have no fear. Let’s go do this thing… I told them, ‘Hey we’re going to get the ball back, our defense is going to make a stop, we’ll get the ball back, we’re probably going to have a minute and 40 seconds left.’”

The Seahawks indeed got the ball back with 1:39 left, they marched down the field and they won the game. Wilson could make that prediction so accurately because he has lived through so many games like that one, and more often than not, come out on top. The win marked***** the 23rd time in Wilson’s career, postseason included, that he has led a game-winning drive with the Seahawks tied or trailing in the fourth quarter or overtime. That’s the most in the NFL since Wilson’s rookie season********, and he already ranks**** 39th in NFL history, with everyone ahead of Wilson on that list having played considerably longer than his six-plus seasons.**** It was also Wilson’s 19th fourth-quarter comeback, which is tied for 31st all time, and again, Wilson trails players with significantly longer careers.******

The guy has played in FIVE pro bowls in six seasons for a reason. He owns 3/4 NFL records. He has been in the MVP conversation, led the entire league in TD's and QB rating. Only a total know nothing like..........Tom Savage the best QB in Texas....PERIOD....and....Derek Anderson is better than Cam Newton....wouldn't get Russell Wilson.

Soon the players will vote on the top 100 NFLers, I'm predicting Russell Wilson will be in the top 15. Ya see none of those guys voting are dumb enought to think....Tom Savage is the bes............ Hahahahahaha`~~~~

Never sat on a bench, walked right in and took over, preceded to win more games in a six season career than any QB in history. Only 4000/30/500 QB in history. Only 100 plus QB rating first two seasons n history. Most 4th quarter TD passes in a season in history.

Only a 100% moron wouldn't see the greatness that is Russell Wilson.

, in his last season of NCAA football the cat set the all time NCAA passing efficency record for a season. How could anyone with even half a brain not get this?
    Last edited by Avante; 03-09-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    So much for being "out all day." Old got just couldn't resist posting his usual drivel.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    So much for being "out all day." Old got just couldn't resist posting his usual drivel.
    Dude, it's after 5pm on the west coast.

I get ya don't like the facts or reality, you make it very clear ya don;'t really understand the game, if ya did then you'd see just great Wilson is.

Why so many 4th quarter comebacks, well? How come EVERYBODY but you raves about Russell Wilson, well?

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Hall of Fame committee.

Voter....what about Terry Bradshaw? All those SB wins.
    Voter 2....no way, he played on a team with a HOF center , RB, both WR's, THE STEEL CURTAIN, Two HOF LB's and.....the great Mel Blount. All he did was hang on.
    Voter....hmmmm? What about Jerry Rice?
    Voter 2....are you kidding, Joe Montana and Steve Young would make any receiver look good.
    Voter....hmmmmm?
    Voter...Don Hutson?
    Voter 2.....dude, he played against slow white guys, ok?
    Voter....Joe Flacco?
    Voter 2....BINGO~~~ He had one great play off run, yep...HOFer.

John Unitas had a HOF tackle in Jim Parker, HOF RB Lenny Moore,HOF WR in Ray Berry and a HOF TE in John Mackey. Nobody plays a bunch of stupid over stuff like that.

Compare Wilson's first six seasons to anyone in history, and there it is staring at ya, NOBODY did it better,

Now, with a less than steller D watch what happens as Wilson is forced to throw more. Last seaon his 34 TD paases led the NFL. Expect more of that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Avante; 03-09-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Post Count
    Everyone I know who really gets the game can't say enought good things about Russell Wilson.

That belief that “it’s going to happen” has helped turn Wilson into one of the**** best late-game quarterbacks in his era****, and it’s a big reason why he was able to lead a three-play, 80-yard touchdown drive to win Sunday’s game against the Texans moments after throwing what could have been a game-deciding interception.

Moments after Wilson threw that interception, Wilson got together with his teammates and told them, “Hey, have no fear. Let’s go do this thing… I told them, ‘Hey we’re going to get the ball back, our defense is going to make a stop, we’ll get the ball back, we’re probably going to have a minute and 40 seconds left.’”

The Seahawks indeed got the ball back with 1:39 left, they marched down the field and they won the game. Wilson could make that prediction so accurately because he has lived through so many games like that one, and more often than not, come out on top. The win marked***** the 23rd time in Wilson’s career, postseason included, that he has led a game-winning drive with the Seahawks tied or trailing in the fourth quarter or overtime. That’s the most in the NFL since Wilson’s rookie season********, and he already ranks**** 39th in NFL history, with everyone ahead of Wilson on that list having played considerably longer than his six-plus seasons.**** It was also Wilson’s 19th fourth-quarter comeback, which is tied for 31st all time, and again, Wilson trails players with significantly longer careers.******

The guy has played in FIVE pro bowls in six seasons for a reason. He owns 3/4 NFL records. He has been in the MVP conversation, led the entire league in TD's and QB rating. Only a total know nothing like..........Tom Savage the best QB in Texas....PERIOD....and....Derek Anderson is better than Cam Newton....wouldn't get Russell Wilson.

Soon the players will vote on the top 100 NFLers, I'm predicting Russell Wilson will be in the top 15. Ya see none of those guys voting are dumb enought to think....Tom Savage is the bes............ Hahahahahaha`~~~~

Never sat on a bench, walked right in and took over, preceded to win more games in a six season career than any QB in history. Only 4000/30/500 QB in history. Only 100 plus QB rating first two seasons n history. Most 4th quarter TD passes in a season in history.

, in his last season of NCAA football the cat set the all time NCAA passing efficency record for a season. How could anyone with even half a brain not get this?
    Do you think Wilson will be in those comeback situations? It's more likely to be down 17 points with 2 min left rather than 7 without that defense.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

whole lotta chirpin going on

chirp chirp

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Great fit for Sherman in San Francisco

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    the 49ers are becoming a very easy to root for team, this year

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    49ers are legit, seattle is rebuilding.

My Team
    Indianapolis Colts
    Post Count
    Russell Wilson is a got who abstained from sex before marriage. What else needs to be said? Oh yeah hes a ty ing QB as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Broncos
    Post Count
    the 49ers are becoming a very easy to root for team, this year
    I don’t understand this sentiment (not saying you’re wrong though)....but I always thought you root for the team and not individuals....your quote implies the player being more important....the only reason I bring it up is because when I was in college a buddy of mine became a Blazers fan cause Scottie Pippen went there....he was no longer my friend afterwards.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    I don’t understand this sentiment (not saying you’re wrong though)....but I always thought you root for the team and not individuals....your quote implies the player being more important....the only reason I bring it up is because when I was in college a buddy of mine became a Blazers fan cause Scottie Pippen went there....he was no longer my friend afterwards.
    I’m guessing that guy was a Bulls fan in the 90s too

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    That's because it's on the entertainment side of "rooting"

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Broncos
    Post Count
    That's because it's on the entertainment side of "rooting"
    Fair enough.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    It's strange that the Ravens' two best defensive seasons aren't in the stretch listed in the OP.

08-12 were good defenses, but Ray and Ed were already on the down slope. I guess Suggs and Ngata were beasts, though, and it's not like Lewis and Reed were scrubs.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    As in, a team you like watching, you want to see them having success, so they keep on the route they are on. Like if Garoppolo would fail, it is likely they would choose to go on a running game heavy coupled with a read option style qb.. and i just find it really annoying to watch. That's just one thing.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    It's strange that the Ravens' two best defensive seasons aren't in the stretch listed in the OP.

08-12 were good defenses, but Ray and Ed were already on the down slope. I guess Suggs and Ngata were beasts, though, and it's not like Lewis and Reed were scrubs.
    Those 2011-12 defenses was super clutch, wasn't always pretty yardage wise but they got clutch turnovers and forced field goals when they needed to keep teams out of the endzone.

Thread Information