Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats the voice of Joel Myers, used to be the Spurs voice back in the day. Super classy, one of my favorite commentators.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course Manu deliberately dribbled into Davis' path, just like he deliberately put himself in Davis' way to take the Charge in the previous play. That isn't the matter though. The matter is giving the walking player enough time space to avoid the contact, if he doesn't avoid it, it's his fault and, therefore, his foul.
    And you act like you're being objective...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a different argument from the part you didn't bold, which was what you originally came out with.

Yes it is. There a rule on the books and some official markers for when a charge cannot be called, but whether a guy is in time, whether the offensive player initiated the contract, yadda yadda, is up to the interpretation of the official.

1) Never seen anything saying it can be called a foul

2) Manu totally and deliberately dribbled into Davis path, took the hit and fell over like a sedan hit him.

Skip to the 40-second mark.
    Damn both those fouls calls are horrible. I’m a huge Manu fan but like that is shady. Don’t like “crafty” plays like that. Exaggerating fouls is one thing. That right there is just cheap and gimmicky. Just play the game.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis is unlucky on that second one but heads up play from Manu . they were both the correct calls. the second one if Manu didn't fall from the weight of Davis behind him it would of been a no call. Seen heaps of them before, that's how they usually call them.

Good win . Almost choked it again but ill take it any way they come

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAGirl I'll see you at the Ashley Homestore tbh
    Had to pick someone up at the airport true story. I missed the entire second half. Glad to find out they pulled this one out somehow. See Mills shooting % didn’t improve from where it was heading when I stopped watching..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis is unlucky on that second one but heads up play from Manu . they were both the correct calls. the second one if Manu didn't fall from the weight of Davis behind him it would of been a no call. Seen heaps of them before, that's how they usually call them.

Good win . Almost choked it again but ill take it any way they come

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had to pick someone up at the airport true story. I missed the entire second half. Glad to find out they pulled this one out somehow. See Mills shooting % didn’t improve from where it was heading when I stopped watching..
    I read this thinking you were saying Mills’ ‘0% didn’t improve.’
    Now he did shoot < 20% so you were close. 2/12 2pt and 1/6 from 3pt. He made his last ft’s that sealed it though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you act like you're being objective...
    It's objective because it's the way it is. Is it cheap? Yeah, but that doesn't mean those aren't fouls. Is hack a Shak cheap? Yeah, but there isn't an easy solution to it, nor I think ir should be. Just make your damn free throws.

It's the same here. Deliberately or not, if a guy steps all over another guy there's no way to not call a foul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's objective because it's the way it is. Is it cheap? Yeah, but that doesn't mean those aren't fouls. Is hack a Shak cheap? Yeah, but there isn't an easy solution to it, nor I think ir should be. Just make your damn free throws.

It's the same here. Deliberately or not, if a guy steps all over another guy there's no way to not call a foul.
    Yes and it’s highly unlikely the ref made the call because he was biased in Manu’s favor. Push fouls are like charges. It’s just drawing a foul. Pretty savvy to me.

Now I love all calls in our favor and if it was the other way around I’d about it, but I’d know they are going to call that when the contact is as hard as that.

It was a very physical game. I’m glad Manu was willing to play that tough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Something "being a foul" is merely what is against the rules. The league could take out charges from the rule book and call any contact like that a defensive foul. Or they could tweak the various elements of the rule like expanding or removing the charge circle, removing the need for a defender to beat an offensive player to a spot or deciding that if the defender is moving at all that it's an automatic block. And fouls that resulted from that new rule would be just as much fouls as what is currently called. If they wanted to make a rule saying that an offensive player can't change direction, back up and run into a guy without getting a charge, they could. It would be just as easy as a charge/block call. Manu would have gotten an offensive foul. And no one would be batting an eye, because "them's the rules".

Manu makes a lot of plays like this that disgust me. That includes how he fouls to stop the break. I can believe those plays are bull and should be legislated out of the game without rejecting the idea that the rules were properly enforced when he gets those calls. And until/unless those get changed, I don't expect Manu, Paul or any other "savvy" player to stop using them. That won't stop me from thinking they're bull , though. And before you try to turn this into some attack on Manu, it's not. I don't hate Manu, just like I don't hate Murray or Leonard. I appreciate everything Manu has done for the organization and want him to play at a high level for as long as he has left. But I'm not going to only call out what I consider to be bull when it's a player I don't like or team I don't root for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    50 million dollar aboriginal piece of went 2 for 12. He is just pathetic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    50 million dollar aboriginal piece of went 2 for 12. He is just pathetic.
    Bad-shooting nights happen. , it's just par for the course for the team this year. But 34 minutes? He was arguably the worst guard on the team last night but played the most minutes anyway. I just don't get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Paddy Mills went from 1-1 shooting to 2-12.
    sad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it a sin to play the LMA "You know" drinking game at noon? Because that's what I'm doing with a nice Chianti.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad-shooting nights happen. , it's just par for the course for the team this year. But 34 minutes? He was arguably the worst guard on the team last night but played the most minutes anyway. I just don't get it.
    "Culture"

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu makes a lot of plays like this that disgust me. That includes how he fouls to stop the break. I can believe those plays are bull and should be legislated out of the game without rejecting the idea that the rules were properly enforced when he gets those calls. And until/unless those get changed, I don't expect Manu, Paul or any other "savvy" player to stop using them. That won't stop me from thinking they're bull , though. And before you try to turn this into some attack on Manu, it's not. I don't hate Manu, just like I don't hate Murray or Leonard. I appreciate everything Manu has done for the organization and want him to play at a high level for as long as he has left. But I'm not going to only call out what I consider to be bull when it's a player I don't like or team I don't root for.
    How can you legislate away fouls that stop a fast break? Give the refs a yellow flag and have them throw it, let the play continue, then give the fast-break team the option of taking the foul or the result of the play?

The same problem with the break-stopping fouls, like mauling the guy with the ball, is the same as with what Manu did to AD. With that much contact a foul has to be called, especially when it causes the ball handler to travel or double dribble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something "being a foul" is merely what is against the rules. The league could take out charges from the rule book and call any contact like that a defensive foul. Or they could tweak the various elements of the rule like expanding or removing the charge circle, removing the need for a defender to beat an offensive player to a spot or deciding that if the defender is moving at all that it's an automatic block. And fouls that resulted from that new rule would be just as much fouls as what is currently called. If they wanted to make a rule saying that an offensive player can't change direction, back up and run into a guy without getting a charge, they could. It would be just as easy as a charge/block call. Manu would have gotten an offensive foul. And no one would be batting an eye, because "them's the rules".

Sure, making a rule that an offensive player can't do all that is easy to make and wouldn't open a can of worms that would inevitably up the playability of the game.

And no, I don't think this is an attack on Manu, just as I don't know why you think I feel the need to defend this just because Manu did it. If Parker would have been the one to do this, I would be arguing the same thing with you and I wouldn't be thinking it is an attack on Tony.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it a sin to play the LMA "You know" drinking game at noon? Because that's what I'm doing with a nice Chianti.
    RIP your liver.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop trying anything to get him out of his slump, hopefully so we can dump his contract this offseason. Who is going to bite on a trade for a overpaid, undersized shooting guard who can't shoot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you legislate away fouls that stop a fast break? Give the refs a yellow flag and have them throw it, let the play continue, then give the fast-break team the option of taking the foul or the result of the play?

The same problem with the break-stopping fouls, like mauling the guy with the ball, is the same as with what Manu did to AD. With that much contact a foul has to be called, especially when it causes the ball handler to travel or double dribble.
    I really do love the idea of an advantage system to address the ambiguity in the continuation rule. In terms of the "take" fouls on the break, the refs just have to call them like they do clear-path fouls. Give the other team shots and the ball. I don't think the Manu play should have been a no-call. I think it should have been an offensive foul if not a technical foul. You could almost completely remove that play from the game if you just made it clear it is likely to be an offensive foul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, making a rule that an offensive player can't do all that is easy to make and wouldn't open a can of worms that would inevitably up the playability of the game.
    It wouldn't, not in the slightest. That's not a play that happens by accident in the natural flow of the game.

And no, I don't think this is an attack on Manu, just as I don't know why you think I feel the need to defend this just because Manu did it. If Parker would have been the one to do this, I would be arguing the same thing with you and I wouldn't be thinking it is an attack on Tony.
    So says the guy who's accused me of having personal vendettas against multiple players on the team before...

I think had it not been Manu, you would have just let it go without comment. I've made similar comments about this before in relation to other players (like Paul) without a rebuttal from you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beats salt and Tic-Tacs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP your liver.
    Pop would be proud of me.

Beats salt and Tic-Tacs.
    You know salted Tic-Tacs might be the next big thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wouldn't, not in the slightest. That's not a play that happens by accident in the natural flow of the game.

So says the guy who's accused me of having personal vendettas against multiple players on the team before...

I think had it not been Manu, you would have just let it go without comment. I've made similar comments about this before in relation to other players (like Paul) without a rebuttal from you.
    Well, you are wrong.

And the only player I said you seemed to have a thing against is Kawhi. Because that's the only way I could rationalize underrating a top 3 player so much, tbh.

Thread Information