My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what went wrong?

Munilla's ty engineers, and cost-cutting accountants, most probably.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/fi...tices-10176596

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its pretty clear some engineers ed up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are they talking like they're not in deep ? Forget the compensation to the family, these idiots may face criminal charges pending an investigation.

Accelerated Bridge construction.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It wasn't even finished. They had just finished a stress test and where loosening support cables when it collapsed. The main supporting central tower hadn't even been put in place yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't even finished. They had just finished a stress test and where loosening support cables when it collapsed. The main supporting central tower hadn't even been put in place yet.
    Im pretty sure the "central column missing" is fake news. It was obviously designed as a clear span truss. Since this was obviously made of pre-stressed concrete (using cables in plastic sleeves hydraulically stretched to provide tension) my guess the "stress test" they were talking about was them going back and snubbing up the cables after installation. Failure probably started with a cable snapping or a cathead failing.
    Last edited by CosmicCowboy; 03-16-2018 at 02:49 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I built hundreds of homes using pre-stressed concrete slabs as a construction superintendent after I got out of college. Cable failure or blowouts, although rare, happened. Not a big deal with a slab supported by the ground until it could be repaired. It would be catastrophic on a clear span truss design like this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were probably Chinese cables that the CIA sabotaged. Cosmored will be posting walls of text soon.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm curious as to why they didn't at least temporarily block off the street while doing the stress test? I remember the Minnesota bridge collapse a few years back. did they ever find a culpable reasoning for that? Sad to hear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious as to why they didn't at least temporarily block off the street while doing the stress test? I remember the Minnesota bridge collapse a few years back. did they ever find a culpable reasoning for that? Sad to hear.
    Minnesota was a design flaw in the steel trusses. The gusset splice plates between beams were under sized.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Minnesota was a design flaw in the steel trusses. The gusset splice plates between beams were under sized.
    Thanks. I just read up on it. Crazy. I stil get a little sketch when I'm on the St. Thomas Bridge here in SoCal. That thing is a suspension bridge and it's just immense.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Im pretty sure the "central column missing" is fake news. It was obviously designed as a clear span truss. Since this was obviously made of pre-stressed concrete (using cables in plastic sleeves hydraulically stretched to provide tension) my guess the "stress test" they were talking about was them going back and snubbing up the cables after installation. Failure probably started with a cable snapping or a cathead failing.
    No, the column is a central design element. The stress test was a weight test and measuring stresses of the cabling. Don't know why they would do that using temporary supports. Makes no sense.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    1/2" too thin by specs from what I've read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, the column is a central design element. The stress test was a weight test and measuring stresses of the cabling. Don't know why they would do that using temporary supports. Makes no sense.
    Looking further, we are both right. There was never going to be a column in the middle of the span that collapsed but there was supposed to be a column at one end of it (which would be the center of the total span, the other half not in place yet) but there would be support cables for each span anchored by the missing column.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USA today has a cross section diagram and a rendering. What a up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USA today has a cross section diagram and a rendering. What a up.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I built hundreds of homes using pre-stressed concrete slabs as a construction superintendent after I got out of college. Cable failure or blowouts, although rare, happened. Not a big deal with a slab supported by the ground until it could be repaired. It would be catastrophic on a clear span truss design like this one.
    They should have never removed the supports from the bottom until the central tower was in place and those cables in place and tightened. The thought they would "show off" by making it seem like it could act as a truss bridge (they clearly thought it could) They wanted that traffic flowing ASAP to show that the whole method could work, their so called ABC method. FIU had a big write up about the small amount of disruption to normal (traffic) affairs.

They removed the red supports below...
    Last edited by pgardn; 03-16-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goodness now we'll have walkouts to ban bridges. Think of the kids.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting side note.
    That thing was so massive they were going to have study pavilions, food, hanging out, etc... For the FIU kids.

Side note to side note: rmt, glad your okay. Damn...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting side note.
    That thing was so massive they were going to have study pavilions, food, hanging out, etc... For the FIU kids.

Side note to side note: rmt, glad your okay. Damn...
    Thanks - this is causing major traffic problems with 8th Street Turnpike exits shut down. To compound it our annual Youth Fair is going on at FIU grounds - lasts 3 1/2 weeks. Two of the 4 major entrances (north and east) to FIU closed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks - this is causing major traffic problems with 8th Street Turnpike exits shut down. To compound it our annual Youth Fair is going on at FIU grounds - lasts 3 1/2 weeks. Two of the 4 major entrances (north and east) to FIU closed.
    Traffic smaffic.

You are alive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the video you can see workers kneeling down on the left side of the bridge exactly where it broke first. Still looks like a cable failure while stressing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After looking at it again you can even see the truss tendon blowing out before the bridge fell.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's lots of codes and guidelines and checks and balances so like this is rare. If that was applied to guns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More and more it looks like the construction company blew it. Like I said previously cable failures while stressing them happen. No way they should have been doing it with traffic driving underneath. They probably did it to avoid the added cost.

Thread Information