Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs scored 31 points out of 117 from 3 and the FT line against Minny, it worked out because they had 11 fewer T.O's and 4 more offensive rebounds and were +14 in FGA attempts but normally that's how a team gets beat in the NBA
    You said this like it was incidental, but that's exactly how the team is built. The utility of playing Murray at starting PG and Anderson at SF and running LMA and Pau in the front court is to dominate the boards. Guys like Murray, Green and Anderson generate a lot of lose balls, which a number of other players being decent or good in that area as well. Obviously, Kawhi would just take all this to another level.

Anyway, Pop's whole plan to beat the Warriors has always revolved around getting more possessions or attempts than GS in order to offset the efficiency gap. Obviously, winning the FT disparity is also a big part of that, and without looking at the numbers, I'd say that usually do that. It would be even more blatant if Kawhi were playing. Outside of FTA, though, Wolves game was not an example of the Spurs getting lucky; it was an example of their gameplan working.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said this like it was incidental, but that's exactly how the team is built. The utility of playing Murray at starting PG and Anderson at SF and running LMA and Pau in the front court is to dominate the boards. Guys like Murray, Green and Anderson generate a lot of lose balls, which a number of other players being decent or good in that area as well. Obviously, Kawhi would just take all this to another level.

Anyway, Pop's whole plan to beat the Warriors has always revolved around getting more possessions or attempts than GS in order to offset the efficiency gap. Obviously, winning the FT disparity is also a big part of that, and without looking at the numbers, I'd say that usually do that. It would be even more blatant if Kawhi were playing. Outside of FTA, though, Wolves game was not an example of the Spurs getting lucky; it was an example of their gameplan working.
    Fair points but I was really using the game to illustrate the Spurs struggles on offense overall. They don't get to the line as much as most teams and rank poorly in 3pt attempts and 3pt%. Taking care of the ball, forcing turnovers and grabbing offensive rebounds are all good ways to off set that disparity but its not necessarily fool proof. There are going to be nights where they play teams limit offense rebounds and/ or teams that take care of the ball. GSW doesn't tend to do either against us which is why we often play them so tough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair points but I was really using the game to illustrate the Spurs struggles on offense overall.
    I guess Spurs issues on offense are bigger than rebounds/FTs...Our guards can't even play against some 2nd/3rd Warriors team.

Parker, Manu, Mills, Forbes...In a perimeter-oriented league these guards in key roles are unplayable against elite fast-tempo teams in playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is actually so true ..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is actually so true ..
    Blame murray. Any run of the mill hs pg could do what he does....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blame murray. Any run of the mill hs pg could do what he does....
    speaking of run of the mill. mills is still just and undersized shooting guard.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    speaking of run of the mill. mills is still just and undersized shooting guard.
    Duh. Hes asked to play pg bc murray cant

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lowe with another subtle dig at Pop and his archaic offense..I agree with him : "I hate 3s" is not an iden y "..

"6. What are the Spurs?

The road-weary Spurs play one style of offense with their starters, and another when DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge rest. They have been bad on defense almost regardless of personnel or scheme.They have three rotation players between the ages of 23 and 29 -- the prime age range in which Kawhi Leonard once centered the roster: Derrick White, Davis Bertans and Bryn Forbes. White is the best player among those three, and by far the most important in projecting San Antonio forward. They also have Lonnie Walker IV and Dejounte Murray, all their own first-round picks, and an extra one from Toronto. San Antonio's coaches were confident Murray was primed for a mega-leap before he tore his ACL. A Murray-White back-court should be y -- and stifling on defense.The West could open up if Kevin Durant leaves Golden State. If Murray and White ascend next season, it's possible the current Spurs roster could leap into the fight for that spot.

It's also possible Aldridge and DeRozan drop off some by the time San Antonio's best young players are ready, and that the young core does not hold a perennial future All-Star candidate.The Spurs are generally cautious. They will probably spend the next year-plus seeing what this group can do. But they haven't coalesced around any iden y this season -- "I hate 3s" is not an iden y -- and they face major questions going forward. The next two-plus years represent the Spurs' greatest team-building challenge since drafting Tim Duncan. I can't wait to see how they tackle it."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...kers-tank-talk

Thread Information