Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As he keeps churning out the essays on his beloved Raptors and Jazz; Lowe has a pity paragraph on them-- your irrelevant Spurs.

7. The spacing in San Antonio

Until feasting on a Magic team playing some of the stankiest, tankiest lineups (shouts to Shelvin Mack for getting some time as a first option!) you will ever see -- and starting small, with Kyle Anderson at power forward -- the Spurs' offense had been cratering. They're down to 18th in points per possession even after an important win over New Orleans on Thursday, and they just cannot crack open any space when both Dejounte Murray and Slow-Mo are on the floor.

Those guys are old basketball souls who use ancient tricks to compensate for bricky shooting. Murray skulks along the baseline for dump-offs and offensive rebounds. Anderson meanders around guys who close out on him, and flips in-between shots with a soft touch.

But craft isn't always enough. Neither can shoot from deep, and that cramps LaMarcus Aldridge's office space on the block
    Without Kawhi Leonard, the math of San Antonio's midrange-heavy shot selection works against them. Their shot profile hasn't budged from last season. With Leonard playing like an MVP in 2016-17, they outperformed their expected field-goal percentage -- based on shot location, shooters, and defender proximity -- by the fifth-largest margin in the league, per Second Spectrum. This season, they are shooting almost exactly as expected, and it isn't good enough -- especially since they don't gobble up free throws or offensive rebounds at a high rate. (Also: Why doesn't Danny Green play a little more?)

The Spurs built this team to play a certain style, and without their foundational talent, they can't play it well enough to win at a high level.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...rie-irving-nba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you seen the spurs offense? Lowe was being too nice tbh imho fwiw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty spot on, but these are our best players. Bertans is banged up or something, Rudy gay sucks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As he keeps churning out the essays on his beloved Raptors and Jazz; Lowe has a pity paragraph on them-- your irrelevant Spurs.
    I was thinking the same thing. He occasionally writes a negative blurb on the Spurs in an attempt to throw the fan base off the scent.

The "they're down to 18th in points per possession" comment shows just how off the radar they are for him. In reality, they've operated in this space all season and have actually been slightly better recently.

Lost amid the Anderson praise this season is the fact that he's as awkward a fit as ever. He's not a primary creator and his sub par range shooting has taken a step back, which means he's not a natural fit on either unit. On a team that's probably going to have Murray and Parker (whose range shooting has also taken a step back) as its point guards for the next few seasons, who already play off of Aldridge and eventually Leonard, they can't afford another significant minutes playing perimeter player that can't shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree that Kyle's an awkward fit. But I'll argue that Parker and Murray are an awkward fit for him. And Mills and forbes are not good enough shooters or cutters to work with him. In short, this roster has too manly flaws and one dimensional players. Kyle is one of the most versatile players we have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle is fine as a four, but he and Murray won't work together, especially since they're at best third- or fourth-options on a healthy roster. That's why Pop is starting Mills and Bertans with them a lot. Ideally, you get away with Murray/Green/Anderson/Bertans/Aldridge, but then that leaves only Manu on the bench perimeter with any size. If Brandon Paul were an aggressive and accurate shooter, he'd be a stable rotation piece right now. As it is, White is the only guy with the chance to stabilize a Kawhi-less rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lowes attempt at calling out pop tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The Spurs built this team to play a certain style": this style is "give Kawhi the ball and get out of the way"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle is fine as a four, but he and Murray won't work together, especially since they're at best third- or fourth-options on a healthy roster. That's why Pop is starting Mills and Bertans with them a lot. Ideally, you get away with Murray/Green/Anderson/Bertans/Aldridge, but then that leaves only Manu on the bench perimeter with any size. If Brandon Paul were an aggressive and accurate shooter, he'd be a stable rotation piece right now. As it is, White is the only guy with the chance to stabilize a Kawhi-less rotation.
    And White isn’t going to play, nor is Pop going to start Davis regularly bc they are compelled to not marginalize guys they already gave big contracts to this past summer in Mills and Gasol.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course the spacing is terrible. Fathead, Murray, Fatty house, and G League Danny are starting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White is the 2nd most talented offensive player on the current active roster... and he can defend.

How this guy isn't getting playing time is absurd.

Pop needs to give him the opportunity and give him all of Mills' minutes at the starting two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is stubborn and will not do that this season. Pop is really that stubborn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't his year, and playing him wouldn't be fair to Fatty, Bryn, or the mummies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too much long fade away jumpers. Other than that we're __ok__.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White is the 2nd most talented offensive player on the current active roster... and he can defend.

How this guy isn't getting playing time is absurd.

Pop needs to give him the opportunity and give him all of Mills' minutes at the starting two.
    No I don’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi and poop destroyed the beautiful game tbh fwiw...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi and poop destroyed the beautiful game tbh fwiw...
    With Kawhi leading them, they won 67 and 61 games last two seasons....This season without him 39 of 69.

Also, we saw the beautiful game only in 2014 playoffs after the leading scorer -Parker- got injured...I can't remember they played that way in that regular season, nor in 1st round against Mavs.

If this roster would have that great like in 2014 playoffs, they could afford to lose their leading scorer and still make the Finals. Can see this team making the Finals without Kawhi?

In 2013 and 2014, 3rd and 4th best Spurs players were elite players in the league (top defenders, top shooters)

Kawhi didn't destroy anything, he didn't make the moves to reduce talent on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Kawhi leading them, they won 67 and 61 games last two seasons....This season without him 39 of 69.

Also, we saw the beautiful game only in 2014 playoffs after the leading scorer -Parker- got injured...I can't remember they played that way in that regular season, nor in 1st round against Mavs.

If this roster would have that great like in 2014 playoffs, they could afford to lose their leading scorer and still make the Finals. Can see this team making the Finals without Kawhi?

In 2013 and 2014, 3rd and 4th best Spurs players were elite players in the league (top defenders, top shooters)

Kawhi didn't destroy anything, he didn't make the moves to reduce talent on the roster.
    He destroyed this team by holding out and refusing to play this season tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot on

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being truthful isnt trashing. Spurs have no pg. It's a big deal if you want to contend

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes basketball is really as simply as the Spurs having three perimeter rotation players who can't shoot from 3 to go along with Gay who pretty much doesn't take them anymore because he's regressed from his Kings days, (6-21, 28.5% in 11 post all-star break games). No Kawhi and his high volume, high percent, 3pt and FT attempts and Gasol got a bunch of open looks via Kawhi but without him isn't nearly as effective.

Spurs scored 31 points out of 117 from 3 and the FT line against Minny, it worked out because they had 11 fewer T.O's and 4 more offensive rebounds and were +14 in FGA attempts but normally that's how a team gets beat in the NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He destroyed this team by holding out and refusing to play this season tbh.
    Of course. Why would a troll try to support an injured player? When it's obvious he wanted to lose a whole season, missing MVP candicancy, All NBA teams spots, ASG, a shoes contract...Yeah. He did it on purpuse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course. Why would a troll try to support an injured player? When it's obvious he wanted to lose a whole season, missing MVP candicancy, All NBA teams spots, ASG, a shoes contract...Yeah. He did it on purpuse.
    Deflect and obfuscate all you want, but you know I'm right!

Thread Information