Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In these desperate times, I wanna leave with y'all some wise words from our coach, tbh...

“I think if people take the time to think about it. I think it is our national sin,” he said. “It always intrigues me when people come out with, ‘I’m tired of talking about that,’ or, ‘Do we have to talk about race again?’ And the answer is, ‘You’re damned right we do’ because it’s always there — and it’s systemic, in the sense that when you talk about opportunity, it’s not about, ‘Well, if you lace up your shoes and you work hard, you can have the American Dream.’ That’s a bunch of hogwash.”

Popovich, who got on the topic after a reporter asked him about Black History Month, also took the opportunity to discuss white privilege, a concept that has garnered more attention lately because of the increasingly vocal “alt-right” movement known for its views espousing racist, anti-Semitic and sexist points of view.

“If you were born white, you automatically have a monstrous advantage — educationally, economically, culturally, in this society and all the systemic roadblocks that exist, whether it’s in a judicial sense, or a neighborhood sense with laws, zoning, education,” he said. “We have huge problems in that regard that are very complicated, but take leadership, time, and real concern to try to solve. It’s a tough one because people don’t really want to face it.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .It is tiring...

Backup Goddess, tbh. Gummi Clutch's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we should just hire a blacks coach then. Hear Mark Jackson is available ...

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When did Pop spout this crap comment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve always wanted to see a reporter ask Pop if he owes his career to white privilege, and if he has ever gotten over himself. Except they all suck him off despite Pop bullying them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve always wanted to see a reporter ask Pop if he owes his career to white privilege, and if he has ever gotten over himself. Except they all suck him off despite Pop bullying them.
    There's nothing wrong in basking in the glory of white privilege, as long as you're mindful, tbh

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    Poop on pace to tank the 2020 olympic quarter finals against Nigeria just so he doesn't have to shake Trump's hand, smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so woke, so enlightened

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really wish his comments weren't so broad and pointless. Saying this does nothing. Besides lead to white guilt and black people being helpless.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘Well, if you lace up your shoes and you work hard, you can have the American Dream.’
    This is actually a much more valuable than telling them they can blame everything on racism.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When did Pop spout this crap comment?
    It's his wife I'm tellin ya. No way Pop grew up thinking this crap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In these desperate times, I wanna leave with y'all some wise words from our coach, tbh...

“I think if people take the time to think about it. I think it is our national sin,” he said. “It always intrigues me when people come out with, ‘I’m tired of talking about that,’ or, ‘Do we have to talk about race again?’ And the answer is, ‘You’re damned right we do’ because it’s always there — and it’s systemic, in the sense that when you talk about opportunity, it’s not about, ‘Well, if you lace up your shoes and you work hard, you can have the American Dream.’ That’s a bunch of hogwash.”

Popovich, who got on the topic after a reporter asked him about Black History Month, also took the opportunity to discuss white privilege, a concept that has garnered more attention lately because of the increasingly vocal “alt-right” movement known for its views espousing racist, anti-Semitic and sexist points of view.

“If you were born white, you automatically have a monstrous advantage — educationally, economically, culturally, in this society and all the systemic roadblocks that exist, whether it’s in a judicial sense, or a neighborhood sense with laws, zoning, education,” he said. “We have huge problems in that regard that are very complicated, but take leadership, time, and real concern to try to solve. It’s a tough one because people don’t really want to face it.”
    More completely legitimate observations. Thanks for carrying Pop's torch El Nono, although you must have done some digging to find these quotes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t know he spent a lot of time in the Middle East.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing wrong in basking in the glory of white privilege, as long as you're mindful, tbh
    Lol you are so dumb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100% poop would ignore the comment or insult the reporter over it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you accuse someone of racism you cause them to take a racial stance to defend themselves. Racism was near dead until everyone started pointing fingers. Even if you believe it, you need to come with common sense solutions. ing about it all day just widens the gap between people. Pop says these things to make himself feel good, but is doing nothing to help the public good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is right, it is important

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    “If you were born white, you automatically have a monstrous advantage — educationally, economically, culturally, in this society and all the systemic roadblocks that exist, whether it’s in a judicial sense, or a neighborhood sense with laws, zoning, education,” he said.
    "For example, I gave Matt Bonner a roster spot on the Spurs for a decade while running off Stephen Jackson, Dewayne Dedmon and Jonathon Simmons."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "For example, I gave Matt Bonner a roster spot on the Spurs for a decade while running off Stephen Jackson, Dewayne Dedmon and Jonathon Simmons."
    In addition, I love euro players more than black American born players. I even signed a guy who took a racist slant eyes picture.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this has as much to do with the idea that one feels guilty when he is paid millions of dollars to coach a sport and find that he is mediocre at what he does when he don't have a superstar on his team.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His political views are wrong because he’s coaching poorly this year? Because his ass star player won’t play and he’s forced to make do with a roster that normally would win 50 wins a season had Pachulia not injured him? Maybe try assailing his political views with substance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this has as much to do with the idea that one feels guilty when he is paid millions of dollars to coach a sport and find that he is mediocre at what he does when he don't have a superstar on his team.
    Oh like Rick Carlisle??

NBA is always about the players...Pop has openly admitted it many times...

Some of y’all act like Pop portrays himself like Phil Jackson lol

Thread Information