Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's about competing interests (state interest in safety vs personal freedom). Building the argument as black or white (ban or no ban) is disingenuous.

There's plenty of gray in between, and it's about finding a careful balance between the competing interests. This happen at every level where there are competing interests: alcohol, abortion, guns, free speech, search and seizure, etc.

Regulation is how you get to balance that, and we already have regulation in all those areas.
    Fun thing about this is that the 2nd amendment doesn't really say what the NRA and the people who seem to worship guns with cult-like devotion, think it does.

"A well regulated militia".

You can't really be an originalist and support the gun manufacturing lobby's interpretation of the law.
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...chael-waldman/

The founders did not mean for the 2nd to be an unrestricted right to own guns. They just... didnt'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fun thing about this is that the 2nd amendment doesn't really say what the NRA and the people who seem to worship guns with cult-like devotion, think it does.

"A well regulated militia".

You can't really be an originalist and support the gun manufacturing lobby's interpretation of the law.
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...chael-waldman/

The founders did not mean for the 2nd to be an unrestricted right to own guns. They just... didnt'.
    Well, the SCOTUS already made clear the 2nd Amendment, much like the other amendments, are not beyond regulation, as long as it's 'reasonable'...

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said rather specifically I didn't. Feel free to provide proof that guns as a hobby specifically have ANY health benefit.

Then show a scientific study comparing this benefit to the population as a whole, to the deaths. Scientifically, statistically, it is very likely the harm will VASTLY outweigh any benefits, even if in evidence, simply due to the nature of using populations.

Such modest health benefits, even if youcould prove a link, are certainly minor, and occur far in the future, and ONLY to the people using them.
    Deaths from firearms cut short lives by decades, and effect people who aren't using the product.
    I read that just didn't focus in on it too much and focused on your general statement about hobbies. My bad.

The health benefits don't need to out weight the risk. The health benefits are merely a small factor and not that relevant to why guns should be legal. It's only a small factor and I'm fine basing it off of common sense. It's especially worth considering.

So like the health benefits of using alcohol.

Deaths from alcohol related accidents also cut lives short by decades, and effect people who aren't using the product. Which is what I've mention. Alcohol also plays a part in 1/3 acts of violent crime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Save me the irrelevant comments, please.
    Nobody thinks your comment that guns have health benefits is relevant.

It's re ed. So is this thread.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody thinks your comment that guns have health benefits is relevant.

It's re ed. So is this thread.
    It's relevant to the discussion. You can debate if it's true or not. Your one line takes serve no purpose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's relevant to the discussion. You can debate if it's true or not. Your one line takes serve no purpose.
    This thread serves no purpose. It's stupid. I'm just here to lol at it and you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, the SCOTUS already made clear the 2nd Amendment, much like the other amendments, are not beyond regulation, as long as it's 'reasonable'...
    Not really, and there is more than enough room for that to be revisited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's about competing interests (state interest in safety vs personal freedom). Building the argument as black or white (ban or no ban) is disingenuous.

There's plenty of gray in between, and it's about finding a careful balance between the competing interests. This happen at every level where there are competing interests: alcohol, abortion, guns, free speech, search and seizure, etc.

Regulation is how you get to balance that, and we already have regulation in all those areas.
    no, no, dmc assured me that liberals are too pussy to say banning all guns is the only solution

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read that just didn't focus in on it too much and focused on your general statement about hobbies. My bad.

The health benefits don't need to out weight the risk. The health benefits are merely a small factor and not that relevant to why guns should be legal. It's only a small factor and I'm fine basing it off of common sense. It's especially worth considering.

So like the health benefits of using alcohol.

Deaths from alcohol related accidents also cut lives short by decades, and effect people who aren't using the product. Which is what I've mention. Alcohol also plays a part in 1/3 acts of violent crime.
    "deaths from alcohol related accidents"

SB:
    "deaths from alcohol related vehicle accidents"

Again, not a valid comparison. If you want to make that argument, you should be arguing against personal vehicles as a whole, not just alcohol related ones. The line of logical reasoning should consider all vehicle deaths, not just alcohol related ones.

"alcohol contributes to violent crime, so let's talk about that instead of guns" You may not want to introduce that line of evidence councilor. I'll go there if you want.

Personally, I would be for getting rid of cars in general too, on the basis of the deaths caused.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, no, dmc assured me that liberals are too pussy to say banning all guns is the only solution
    I think people should have a privilege to own a gun, just like they have a privilege to drive.

I am all for repealing and replacing the 2nd amendment to make that more clear.

Relying on guns as some sort of backstop against tyranny is for lazy s who find it too hard to be informed, active voters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people should have a privilege to own a gun, just like they have a privilege to drive.

I am all for repealing and replacing the 2nd amendment to make that more clear.

Relying on guns as some sort of backstop against tyranny is for lazy s who find it too hard to be informed, active voters.
    That one isn't happening in the next 50+ years... probably easier to turn you into a conservative, tbh...

So, instead of aiming for the impossible, how about working towards reachable goals? As it's been said, it doesn't have to be all or nothing, there are, legally, many in-between avenues... you know, like the recent ban on bump stocks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LOL, yeah, because that worked out so well for us in '16.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "the recent ban on bump stocks."

which ban is total bull .

People will be 3D printing them rather than buying them.

and by the time they're banned, everybody who would want one will have bought one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Certain people opt to be criminals all the time, tbh... that doesn't make proper regulations any less useful or useless... then it becomes an enforcement problem.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    The irony is that gun control advocates also are likely to be the ones lapping up Hunger Games, Avatar, 1984, etc. type of media.

Totally unrelated yet related story, Local shooting range hasa makeshift bar there. Couple cases of beer in a fridge, put your dollar on top. I've only been there once shooting trap with a buddy that's huge into that. I mentioned to him about not a good idea to mix the two and he just said those old boys will never change. He's coaching a HS team this year there also.

Going to be a different world for some. That's for sure.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    "the recent ban on bump stocks."

which ban is total bull .

People will be 3D printing them rather than buying them.

and by the time they're banned, everybody who would want one will have bought one

Bump stocks are Bubba type attachments. I don't know any of those guys that have a 3d printer............

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The irony is that gun control advocates also are likely to be the ones lapping up Hunger Games, Avatar, 1984, etc. type of media.
    Lol sure they are.

I'm guessing you don't have a link

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Lol sure they are.

I'm guessing you don't have a link
    You're going to need a link to prove that those AARP, NRA white rural shooters are reading classic novels and are more interested in Hollywood than David Hogg? Really?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're going to need a link to prove that those AARP, NRA white rural shooters are reading classic novels and are more interested in Hollywood than David Hogg? Really?
    No need. We'll just say you're talking out of your ass and leave it there.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    No need. We'll just say you're talking out of your ass and leave it there.
    I asked you that question, way to deflect. Do you believe the typical NRA member is more likely to read George Orwell and watch those two movies than a gun control advocate?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I asked you that question, way to deflect. Do you believe the typical NRA member is more likely to read George Orwell and watch those two movies than a gun control advocate?
    I don't give a . It's your claim. If you feel like backing it up, good for you. If you don't, then we'll just assume ass talking.

That's how that works.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I don't give a . It's your claim. If you feel like backing it up, good for you. If you don't, then we'll just assume ass talking.

That's how that works.
    Too much of a Cuck to doubt the claim but you require a Google look to verify?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol your claim sounds like a crock of bull . It stays that way unless you back it up. Again, that's how claims work.

If you don't want to back it up, I'll just assume it's . Either way I really don't give much of a .

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Lol your claim sounds like a crock of bull . It stays that way unless you back it up. Again, that's how claims work.

If you don't want to back it up, I'll just assume it's . Either way I really don't give much of a .
    So you disagree then? What's your reasoning?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Totally unrelated yet related story, Local shooting range hasa makeshift bar there. Couple cases of beer in a fridge, put your dollar on top. I've only been there once shooting trap with a buddy that's huge into that. I mentioned to him about not a good idea to mix the two and he just said those old boys will never change. He's coaching a HS team this year there also.

Going to be a different world for some. That's for sure.
    On your topic of guns/alcohol at ranges it is gradually changing. I have done dozens of charity sporting clay shoots over the years and in the past few years its been frowned on to drink before shooting. In the old days it was just assumed there would be an ice chest in the cart.

Thread Information