Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Pulled the trigger today and bought at $40. It really dropped on "china fears" even though it has nothing to do with the tariffs. I think calmer heads will prevail over the weekend and it will bounce back up. Think of an amazon with a potential market of 15 billion people.
    I don't get your numbers. 15 billion?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China, India all of asia and moving into europe and the US.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the earth has a population between 7 and 8 billion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Geah, you are right. Billions but not 15. Asian market is still huge compared to US and huge room for economic growth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China Takes First Step In Paying For Crude Imports In Yuan

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china...210000979.html

Baby step in reducing demand for USD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China Takes First Step In Paying For Crude Imports In Yuan

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china...210000979.html

Baby step in reducing demand for USD

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HMNY ($2.29) is intriguing to me right now. They own Moviepass, which is getting absolutely killed in the media the past couple of weeks as they've hemorrhaged funds to pay for current users' tickets, and now they've changed the user agreement to reduce the number of free movies new subscribers can see in a month, along with preventing you from seeing some movies more than once.

As a customer, I'm not sure how up-to-4-movies per month for $9.99/month is a bad deal. The conversation around Moviepass reminds me of when Netflix split their DVD and streaming services in 2011... everyone wrote them off and their stock tanked from $42 to $9 per share. Sure would have been nice to get in at that price.

I still think Moviepass can be a game changer, if they can survive. I don't see this costing them a significant amount of their current subscribers (for one thing, the 4-movie policy only apples to new subscribers, and even if they expanded it to all subscribers, why would you decline what's still basically three free movies a month?) If their subscriber base continues to grow, they have leverage to negotiate better deals with cinema chains so they won't have to reimburse tickets at full price. And their customer data still has huge value.

It's a risky play but even a small investment now could pay huge dividends a few years from now.

Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HMNY ($2.29) is intriguing to me right now. They own Moviepass, which is getting absolutely killed in the media the past couple of weeks as they've hemorrhaged funds to pay for current users' tickets, and now they've changed the user agreement to reduce the number of free movies new subscribers can see in a month, along with preventing you from seeing some movies more than once.

As a customer, I'm not sure how up-to-4-movies per month for $9.99/month is a bad deal. The conversation around Moviepass reminds me of when Netflix split their DVD and streaming services in 2011... everyone wrote them off and their stock tanked from $42 to $9 per share. Sure would have been nice to get in at that price.

I still think Moviepass can be a game changer, if they can survive. I don't see this costing them a significant amount of their current subscribers (for one thing, the 4-movie policy only apples to new subscribers, and even if they expanded it to all subscribers, why would you decline what's still basically three free movies a month?) If their subscriber base continues to grow, they have leverage to negotiate better deals with cinema chains so they won't have to reimburse tickets at full price. And their customer data still has huge value.

It's a risky play but even a small investment now could pay huge dividends a few years from now.

Thoughts?
    i dont care about the 4 movies per month limitation... when my 1 year subscription ends in december, i'd still sign up for that deal.

the inability to see the same movie twice is more frustrating. i tend to do that quite a bit. that being said, even if i pay to see a movie a second time, moviepass still saves me a lot of money over the course of a year. i've had it for a little less than 5 months and have seen 10 movies. around here, movie tickets typically cost about $12-13. given that i paid less than $90 for the full year, i'm already just playing with house money. 2 of those have been re-watches... so lets say i've only seen 8. at $13 a ticket, i'm still in the green for the rest of the year not including those.

it does worry me that MoviePass seems to realize that the big model they had been pushing for months isn't really sustainable. and i think it was really short sighted for them to remove those select AMC theaters for their services. WAY premature for them to try to execute that sort of power play. i trust their CEO, but they definitely aren't trending in the right direction. doesn't mean i wont re-up with them if they're still in business, but the wave will slow down

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    typical sell the news of SHOP. this will be back to 130, and possibly 140 in the next month imo.

right now long celgene, TGTX. biotech is risky but i like how it isn't heavily influenced by politics, current events, etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fidelity one-ups Vanguard, Schwab and iShares, becoming first company to offer a no-fee index fund

Fidelity Investments just beat all of the low-fee index fund compe ion to a move long expected: It will be the first fund company to offer core index funds without any management fee.

On Wednesday, Fidelity announced the Fidelity Zero Total Market Index Fund and the Fidelity Zero International Index Fund will be available to investors on Friday. "Investors will pay a 0.00 percent fee, regardless of how much they invest in either fund, while gaining exposure to nearly the entire global stock market," Fidelity said in a release.

Fidelity also announced that it is lowering fees on other core mutual funds by an average of 35 percent and will charge no investment minimums to access the lower and no-fee funds. Expense ratios will go as low as 0.015 percent

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/01/fide...ndex-fund.html

No investment minimums - great for young people just starting off. I'd do a 70/30 mix.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really need to get back into investing. I've been lazy about it for a while now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal reserve is starting to quietly dispose of it US treasury holdings.

Coupled with massively increased borrowing rate due to recent tax cuts, this will drive up interest rates on new issues of US sovereign debt. Not sure how much.

This will mean that the risk-free rate will rise, making them a bit more attractive as investments, relative to stocks, putting some downward pressure on valuations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hardly a surprise the Fed is expected to do two more raises this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thoughts?
    This was a bad call. A very, very bad call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hardly a surprise the Fed is expected to do two more raises this year.
    The scope/magnitude of which is the only question. My gut says that they will use a light touch until real wages rise faster than inflation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a bad call. A very, very bad call.
    yeah, their cash flow crunch should have been the "red alert" klaxon. It was worth a small investment at the time, out of your "risky" pot.

Don't beat yourself up over it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fidelity one-ups Vanguard, Schwab and iShares, becoming first company to offer a no-fee index fund

Fidelity Investments just beat all of the low-fee index fund compe ion to a move long expected: It will be the first fund company to offer core index funds without any management fee.

On Wednesday, Fidelity announced the Fidelity Zero Total Market Index Fund and the Fidelity Zero International Index Fund will be available to investors on Friday. "Investors will pay a 0.00 percent fee, regardless of how much they invest in either fund, while gaining exposure to nearly the entire global stock market," Fidelity said in a release.

Fidelity also announced that it is lowering fees on other core mutual funds by an average of 35 percent and will charge no investment minimums to access the lower and no-fee funds. Expense ratios will go as low as 0.015 percent

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/01/fide...ndex-fund.html

No investment minimums - great for young people just starting off. I'd do a 70/30 mix.
    You can also buy directly from the companies themselves in many, many cases, with minimums generally around 200 bucks or so.

https://www-us.computershare.com/inv...a=0&stype=dspp

I wouldn't buy anything though this website, but the list is helpful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The scope/magnitude of which is the only question. My gut says that they will use a light touch until real wages rise faster than inflation.
    They will keep the yield curve from inverting. it's a great time to raise rates while the economy is booming. They will probably raise 50 basic points before the end of the year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, their cash flow crunch should have been the "red alert" klaxon. It was worth a small investment at the time, out of your "risky" pot.

Don't beat yourself up over it.
    Oh it was small, but it was still a of a steep drop from $2.24 (including a reverse split).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will keep the yield curve from inverting. it's a great time to raise rates while the economy is booming. They will probably raise 50 basic points before the end of the year.
    A stock-market bear signal is at a more-than-4-decade high, says Goldman
    https://www.marke ch.com/story/a-...man-2018-09-06

Stocks are due to take a hit once Boomers move into the drawdown phase, and move away from risk.

The buybacks overall have probably been forstalling the decline, and I wonder how many shares have been taken out of circulation, and if that might affect volatility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really into buying individual stocks anymore but I couldn't resist SYF. Probably good for 25%+ return by Feb/March imho fwiw tbh

Thread Information