Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Not with Pop and RC still at the helm.
    Aldridge is going to be 33 in three months. No way you can rebuild around him and no good reason to be a six seed for a couple of years and then get stuck with the nasty rebuild anyways after instead of trying to gain some assets that will be useful long term. This team has no young talent whatsoever to build on right now assuming Leonard is out. Murray looks like he'll become a slightly below average starter and he is far and away this team's second best young talent behind Leonard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics rebuilt on the fly. The Spurs can too so long as they move on from this "loyalty and culture" bs. Move the bums, let the mummies ride into the sunset, try to grab some picks, and hope a decent FA signs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't even consider it. A lot of folks are having a hard time rooting for the team when they are still solidly in the playoffs. I honestly think most folks wanting them to tank legit don't appreciate what that would entail. I'd much prefer them being a cleaner version of this year's team and taking shots between 15 and 22 to find another impact player. I find it absurd to write off the team's ability to do that or to attract the necessary free agents to take this roster to the next level.
    It would be a horrible few years, but the Spurs best compe ive advantage right now is RC's eye for talent in the draft. This team has minimal young talent without Leonard, it's all depreciating assets and this is as good as it's going to get unless you think they're pulling another Aldridge drafting at around #20. You think the Spurs are landing any good free agents when the Spurs way is considered dead around the league?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see him playing another game as a spur tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics rebuilt on the fly. The Spurs can too so long as they move on from this "loyalty and culture" bs. Move the bums, let the mummies ride into the sunset, try to grab some picks, and hope a decent FA signs.
    The Celtics rebuilt on the fly because they found some idiot in Brooklyn to trade them a boatload of picks for Garnett and Pierce. I would love the Spurs to do the same with Aldridge this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Celtics rebuilt on the fly because they found some idiot in Brooklyn to trade them a boatload of picks for Garnett. I would love the Spurs to do the same with Aldridge this summer.
    The problem is that the Spurs need to actually try. I still believe that they're going to try to "run this back" while remaining "loyal" to their bums/mummies unless Kawhi really wants out.

Even then, I still see them keeping the bums/mummies around no matter what.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was Kawhi on/behind bench earlier? I haven't seen him join the team after their players meeting last week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was Kawhi on/behind bench earlier? I haven't seen him join the team after their players meeting last week.
    He was a no show yet again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be a horrible few years,
    In your mind, it would be a horrible 10-20 years. That's longer than a lot of us are even going to be alive.

this is as good as it's going to get unless you think they're pulling another Aldridge drafting at around #20
    I think with the 11th- and 22nd-overall selections, the team could get an impact player. Aldridge-good, I don't know. But I damned sure thing they could get someone like Mitc or Miles Turner. In this draft in particular, there is a good chance a very good player falls into the second-half of the lotto, because the first half is almost set in stone. I don't necessarily think they'll get the next RoY, but a long-term top-15 guy at his position seems doable. , they could get another with their second pick, or they could combine them to move higher.

You think the Spurs are landing any good free agents when the Spurs way is considered dead around the league?
    I doubt Kawhi is the determining factor here. He clearly wasn't doing much as a draw, so being in a similar situation that LMA was in 2015 with LMA passing the torch like Duncan was supposed to do with him. Walker and Aldridge are a solid foundation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is that the Spurs need to actually try. I still believe that they're going to try to "run this back" while remaining "loyal" to their bums/mummies unless Kawhi really wants out.

Even then, I still see them keeping the bums/mummies around no matter what.
    I have to believe the team was trying to trade Mills during the deadline. Maybe Pop legit thought Bradley or Beli were upgrades over Green, but it seems more like he was looking to dump Patty's deal. It makes even more sense if you look at his new rotations. Marco off the bench with Tony and Manu with Green at the starting two would actually be a decent perimeter rotation. With Tony moving down this early, I think Pop no longer has Mills as a lock for the roster. Sure, he can sort of pair with Murray, but it's the easiest spot to upgrade.

As far as Pau, I think Pop still wants him. It may well be easier to trade Gasol's semi-expiring than Patty's deal, though. A single first in this new market may get it done. I am not sure they'd pay that, but if we hear them lining up for meetings with free agents, then it would at least suggest they are willing to.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a no show yet again.
    I think Spurs are done with Kawhi and ready to move on. I think Spurs will trade him this coming off season. I hope we get a young, full of potential player in return. Ingram and sweetener will be good for Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One could argue the Spurs did rebuild on the fly, towards the end of the Timmy years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to believe the team was trying to trade Mills during the deadline. Maybe Pop legit thought Bradley or Beli were upgrades over Green, but it seems more like he was looking to dump Patty's deal. It makes even more sense if you look at his new rotations. Marco off the bench with Tony and Manu with Green at the starting two would actually be a decent perimeter rotation. With Tony moving down this early, I think Pop no longer has Mills as a lock for the roster. Sure, he can sort of pair with Murray, but it's the easiest spot to upgrade.

As far as Pau, I think Pop still wants him. It may well be easier to trade Gasol's semi-expiring than Patty's deal, though. A single first in this new market may get it done. I am not sure they'd pay that, but if we hear them lining up for meetings with free agents, then it would at least suggest they are willing to.
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum here. I think they were listening, but have my doubts about how serious they were (although I do think they were trying to move Danny considering that rumor pops up every year).

I'm hopeful you're right though, and hope they go even further and move on from not just one, but BOTH Pau and Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One could argue the Spurs did rebuild on the fly, towards the end of the Timmy years.
    They need to do it again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs aren’t going to tank intentionally. It may happen as a result of injuries and one too many bad contracts given, but not intentionally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs trade Kawhi he becomes ineligible for the supermax, correct?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs trade Kawhi he becomes ineligible for the supermax, correct?
    According to this article about Demarcus Cousin losing his supers max after the Kings traded him the answer would be yes. Players are only eligible for the supermax by the team that drafts them and the only cir stance that changes it is if they are traded during their rookie contract.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/d...elicans-trade/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to this article about Demarcus Cousin losing his supers max after the Kings traded him the answer would be yes. Players are only eligible for the supermax by the team that drafts them and the only cir stance that changes it is if they are traded during their rookie contract.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/d...elicans-trade/
    Cheers man. Many thanks.

Then if this is a gambit by Kawhi and his uncle as some assert then its a risky one. Kawhi will lose a ton of money if they trade him before offering the supermax.

I wonder if there is a chance that the Spurs have said in the past they can't afford the supermax, both literally in terms of cash flow, but also in terms of manuverability under the cap. And, if Kawhi knows he won't be offered the supermax, he wants out or feels less motivation to fight through injury. OBVIOUSLY pure speculation on my part. The truth of what is actually going on will all come out eventually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter what your views DA's report makes it sound like the injury itself is not the key component in his absence.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheers man. Many thanks.

Then if this is a gambit by Kawhi and his uncle as some assert then its a risky one. Kawhi will lose a ton of money if they trade him before offering the supermax.

I wonder if there is a chance that the Spurs have said in the past they can't afford the supermax, both literally in terms of cash flow, but also in terms of manuverability under the cap. And, if Kawhi knows he won't be offered the supermax, he wants out or feels less motivation to fight through injury. OBVIOUSLY pure speculation on my part. The truth of what is actually going on will all come out eventually.
    Here is my theory about this I feel that Kawhi's uncle believes even if Kawhi misses out on the supermax that they can recover the financial loss through endorsements in a big market like LA. For example look at how his uncle rejected team Jordan's shoe deal and asked for a larger deal. I think the uncle believes that if Kawhi plays in LA that he could get a James Harden like Adidas shoe deal. Unfortunately I think Kawhi will come out on top in this situation. Even if the spurs trade him to a ty team he can leave after 1 year and sign with the Lakers during free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is my theory about this I feel that Kawhi's uncle believes even if Kawhi misses out on the supermax that they can recover the financial loss through endorsements in a big market like LA. For example look at how his uncle rejected team Jordan's shoe deal and asked for a larger deal. I think the uncle believes that if Kawhi plays in LA that he could get a James Harden like Adidas shoe deal. Unfortunately I think Kawhi will come out on top in this situation. Even if the spurs trade him to a ty team he can leave after 1 year and sign with the Lakers during free agency.
    That's a good theory in the big picture. You may be right. But it still doesn't quite explain why he'd sit out this whole season, unless its is to deliberately make the Spurs so exasperated they'll trade him. But, if that was your goal, why not simply demand a trade?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a good theory in the big picture. You may be right. But it still doesn't quite explain why he'd sit out this whole season, unless its is to deliberately make the Spurs so exasperated they'll trade him. But, if that was your goal, why not simply demand a trade?
    I think why they didn't demand a trade last summer was because Kawhi's reputation would take a huge hit by the media. Could you imagine how many people would be calling him out in the media for wanting to leave the Spurs after the recent success he has with them. He would take a much bigger hit than Durant or Kyrie did when they left their teams. I don't think Kawhi could take the type of scrutiny from the media that Durant has taken. By having Kawhi sit out for a year and saying the spurs mishandled his injury makes Kawhi end up looking like the good guy while the spurs are painted as the bad guy by the media. This erases any media scrutiny Kawhi would get if he gets traded. Look at what's happening right now with the spurs reputation being trashed by the media while they are portraying Kawhi as this innocent victim.
    Last edited by daslicer; 03-30-2018 at 02:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think why they didn't demand a trade last summer was because Kawhi's reputation would take a huge hit by the media. Could you imagine how many people would be calling him out in the media for wanting to leave the Spurs after the recent success he has with them. He would take a much bigger hit than Durant or Kyrie did when they left their teams. I don't think Kawhi could take the type of scrutiny from the media that Durant has taken. By having Kawhi sit out for a year and saying the spurs mishandled his injury makes Kawhi end up looking like the good guy while the spurs are painted as the bad guy by the media. This erases any media scrutiny Kawhi would get if he gets traded Look at what's happening right now with the spurs reputation being trashed by the media while they are portraying Kawhi as this innocent victim.
    This is all true. Pop, Manu and Tony have all taken hits. And for the most part ex-playes seems to support KL. Look at this...

Still, if he is really sitting out when you can go....hard to make that guy the leader of the team...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is all true. Pop, Manu and Tony have all taken hits. And for the most part ex-playes seems to support KL. Look at this...

Still, if he is really sitting out when you can go....hard to make that guy the leader of the team...
    Yes I saw this segment tonight and I have seen other segments where all these ex-players are Pro-Kawhi. All these guys are black so it's basically tribalism at work here when it comes to them supporting Kawhi. You also have to factor in these media guys all want to be Kawhi's insider. It's like they are auditioning for a job. I saw Jalen Rose get into a heated argument with Jacoby a week or two ago about Kawhi trying to get a big shoe deal. Jacoby pretty much trashed Kawhi and said he doesn't deserve a big shoe deal since he lacks charisma and doesn't have the big personality to sell shoes like other superstars. Jalen got angry and started getting super defensive of Kawhi saying he deserved a big deal. The reason Jalen got upset is because he's the one who has claimed to have inside sources that tell him that Kawhi most likely will not be a spur again. Safe to say that inside source is Kawhi's uncle and Jalen is one of the many media guys auditioning to be Kawhi's insider.

Anyways Pop,RC and management got blindsided by Kawhi's uncle. Kawhi's uncle has gone to war with the Spurs and Pop didn't realize it until it was too late. Pretty embarrassing for Pop since he was a former CIA guy to be out smarted by an amateur like Kawhi's uncle. Spurs have already gotten beaten pretty badly in this war. Spurs need to fire shots back at Kawhi through the media and leak out all the dirt on him. The damage Kawhi has done to them can't be undone but they need to prevent further damage by Kawhi's camp and do some damage to Kawhi's reputation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, this is why I've shifted into the camp that he's gone. Forget the injury, why isn't he at least on the bench cheering on his team in the heat of a playoff run? The team that drafted him and helped make him into a top 5 player in the league. It just seems selfish, from the outside.

Now I'm perfectly willing to concede that perhaps there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for his absences...an illness, a family problem, training in NY with his outside doctors, getting treatment. But it's just noteworthy that he went Kawhi is Missing after the team meeting became public. Now throw in he's been distant and uncommunicative and you can at minimum draw some depressing guesses as to where he's at mentally.
    Didn't he attend one game after the meeting?

My guess is the Spurs are already gauging interest in him and will know where they stand by the draft. There's an outside chance that Kawhi is dealt as soon as SA and their partner are eliminated from the playoffs. But it would make more sense to wait until the draft to get the best and clearest offer. If Charlotte keeps losing, perhaps they can workout a deal for Kemba and their first. Something like that is the only deal I could see happening in April or May.
    Can you do trades when the season is still going on? What are the rules? I didn't think you could until after the playoffs are over, but now that I think about it, I think I've seen trades during the playoffs before. If that is possible, is it only teams that have been eliminated from the playoffs that are able to make trades?
    Last edited by Ice009; 03-30-2018 at 06:05 AM.

Thread Information