My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our internet sucks. 15MB is the max download.

But we can stream Netflix, Prime, etc. from the Fire Box with no problem. Very little buffering.

But for some reason, it takes 30-40 seconds to load a webpage on a mobile device.
    And streaming music to a mobile device always runs into buffering issues.
    And this is often when there are no other devices streaming.

Any ideas? I don't understand why we can stream movies to the TV with no problem but keep having issues with actions that should be using less MB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What kind of mobile devices?

If your device is not compatible with 5ghz, from personal experience the dual band routers slow down those devices. Get an older single band 2ghz router.

I dont really know if thats the problem but it should help.

If your devices are compatible, and you dont have a dual band router..upgrade to to a dual band.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What kind of mobile devices?

If your device is not compatible with 5ghz, from personal experience the dual band routers slow down those devices. Get an older single band 2ghz router.

I dont really know if thats the problem but it should help.

If your devices are compatible, and you dont have a dual band router..upgrade to to a dual band.
    Thanks. It is a dual band router. The mobile devices are an Iphone 7 and an 8. A very old Galaxy. And an Ipad that's about 4 years old.

They were running fine with this router until a month or so ago. I've Googled it and saw recommendations to 1) check to see if there is any interference from other homes and see what channel they are using and then 2)manually configure the router to use a different channel

Wanted to avoid that if there was maybe an easier issue to solve. Think I still have a 2gh router that I'll try first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Internet is internet.. Sometimes you will have full signal, yet it still sucks for whatever reason..

Not sure who your phone provider is, but I would call them and ask about a signal booster. I have T-Mobile and ty cell reception at my house, so I complained and they comped me on a 4G LTE Cellspot.. It connects via GPS and WI-FI and uses a tiny amount of bandwidth to boost your cell signal.. My signal is now 5 bars all over the house, and I never have any issues when browsing on my phone. It doesn't slow my WI-FI down either.

Also, regarding the router.. never underestimate the power of a simple reboot of the modem from time to time. Sometimes it gets "locked" on channels that aren't the best, then upon reboot it searches for the one with the least interference and things "magically" work much better again.. As far as the dual bands, don't connect to the 5 Ghz band if you aren't very close to it, it's 10x faster but doesn't have as much range as the 2.4 Ghz band.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    check ur modem settings,

im certain if u change the VCI from 35 to whatever, it increases the range of the wifi signal

i know cause there are restaurants that offer fibre wifi, once ur outside t he building or just across the road, u cant pick up a signal or some ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my AT&T internet that i have at work blows balls... never ever will i go with AT&T again. this cuts in and out about 5-10 times daily and for a minute and up to 15 mins at a time. range is horrible too when it comes to wifi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol I was with a ty internet reseller or whatever they call those to save money.

that , never again .

Switched to a big provider today, pretty good speed , unlimited data and good service

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my AT&T internet that i have at work blows balls... never ever will i go with AT&T again. this cuts in and out about 5-10 times daily and for a minute and up to 15 mins at a time. range is horrible too when it comes to wifi.
    AT&T is the absolute worst.. ing idiots who associate brand as the service think AT&T "must be the best" because they're so old.. Straight UP AT&T Acolytes

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you don't use your own router for wifi?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you don't use your own router for wifi?
    it's integrated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AT&T is the absolute worst.. ing idiots who associate brand as the service think AT&T "must be the best" because they're so old.. Straight UP AT&T Acolytes
    i opted for AT&T for work because i am so-so on TW/Spectrum since i've had it forever at home and wanted to try some other service at work. bad mistake!

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my experience, the wifi from routers you rent is garbage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a question. All my devices randomly drop connection from the router. It’s frustrating as . I have to turn off WiFi on the device, then turn it back on to reconnect.

I have Apple / Android / windows products, and it’s on all devices.

Anyone know what the issue might be?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a question. All my devices randomly drop connection from the router. It’s frustrating as . I have to turn off WiFi on the device, then turn it back on to reconnect.

I have Apple / Android / windows products, and it’s on all devices.

Anyone know what the issue might be?
    from what I've read researching my issue, it could be interference from having multiple wireless devices. And depending on your situation, it could even be interference from neighbors' devices.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Or a neighbor's router. Wifi analyzers are available for Windows and Android so get one for your dual band device and see if someone else's router is on the same frequency as yours. Put your 2.4GHz band on channel 1, 6 or 11 -- whichever is less cluttered -- and your 5GHz band on any open frequency you can find. There's also the possibility the interference is from some other source; garage door openers or even a microwave oven can screw things up, so see if there is some kind of connection between some thing's going on and the router's going off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Change your DNS Settings to google's DNS.. its faster and safer
    Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers
    contact your provider if you cannot do this.... if your modem is unable to change DNS settings then ask for one that can

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Disable wireless b and g mode, only have wireless N and AC enabled so it can take up more air space.

Disable Power save mode on your Router/Modem/gateway

Make sure your wireless modem or router is not next to any sort of wireless home phone or metal object as it could cause a distribution of the wifi signal through your home.

Ask your provider for a Docsis 3.0 or 3.1 modem

Have them check singles, on all downstream channels. ask if they can email the single check to you

Once you make all these changes try to rename your wifi name and reconnect on all your devices.

By doing these steps I can guarantee your internet will be much faster on any provider you choose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my experience, the wifi from routers you rent is garbage.
    This is true.. The ones they bring to you at install are SUPER garbage.. but if you go to their office and demand name brand equipment, they will give you much better devices.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This is true.. The ones they bring to you at install are SUPER garbage.. but if you go to their office and demand name brand equipment, they will give you much better devices.
    All depends on what the installers are carrying and if they give a , but yes-- some modem/router combos are MUCH better than others. There's no guarantee every employee you come into contact with knows that though.

Thread Information