Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron has been the coach of the Cavs since coming back. Based on his coaching where do you rank him among the all time coaches?

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    LeBron wouldn't have benched Duncan in 6 if he was the Spurs' coach, that's for sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron wouldn't have benched Duncan in 6 if he was the Spurs' coach, that's for sure.
    Do you rank him higher than Doc Rivers?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lebron has been the coach of the Cavs since coming back. Based on his coaching where do you rank him among the all time coaches?
    - he's a tad better than Kurt Rambis tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    he’s definitely above magic johnson for me, simply because he’s an effective floor general on the defensive end too. gotta say his 1st championship as player/coach against gsw trumps any of kerr’s championships too.

1. lebron
    2. magic
    3. chauncey
    4. kidd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Do you rank him higher than Doc Rivers?
    Easily. Doc is the worst coach in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guarantee you, when James signs with the Rockets or 76ers (or opts in and is traded to the former), the perception of him coaching will not only vanish, but D'Antoni or Brown will receive a sizable portion of credit for the ensuing and inevitable success.

The difference? Their coaches are white. How else do you explain the media's constantly trying to push the narrative that D'Antoni is a genius and Lue an idiot for playing the exact same style offensively.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Guarantee you, when James signs with the Rockets or 76ers (or opts in and is traded to the former), the perception of him coaching will not only vanish, but D'Antoni or Brown will receive a sizable portion of credit for the ensuing and inevitable success.

The difference? Their coaches are white. How else do you explain the media's constantly trying to push the narrative that D'Antoni is a genius and Lue an idiot for playing the exact same style offensively.
    D'Antoni is getting credit because the blog boys all love Morey and the Rockets. In their eyes, nothing that the Rockets do is ever wrong, so isoball is okay when D'Antoni does it.

In contrast, D'Antoni was a laughingstock in NY and LA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would not have the chance being in the West.

They jus loved Blatt...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don’t think folks think he’s an idiot, they just know who pulls the strings on the team. It has nothing to do with Lue being black. Lebron is black and he’s done a great job coaching the Cavs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They jus loved Blatt...
    The narrative with Blatt was that he was a an excellent offensive mind, who wasn't allowed to implement his "system" because James balked and pushed back against a coach who was new to the league yet unwilling to humble himself because of his experience and accomplishments overseas.

I don’t think folks think he’s an idiot, they just know who pulls the strings on the team. It has nothing to do with Lue being black. Lebron is black and he’s done a great job coaching the Cavs.
    They assume James pulls the strings, but conveniently forget all the times they've done things to aggravate him (having Thompson's and Smith's extensions drag on for months, playing most of last season without a backup PG, firing Griffin, trading Irving). Of course he has infinite freedom on court, which is standard practice with a superstar and should be with one who possesses a genius basketball IQ.

It's partially about Lue being young and coaching James, but mostly about him being black. People often mainly associate coaching with the tactical portion of it and in general they're loathe to credit blacks for anything involving or perceived to primarily involve intelligence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The narrative with Blatt was that he was a an excellent offensive mind, who wasn't allowed to implement his "system" because James balked and pushed back against a coach who was new to the league yet unwilling to humble himself because of his experience and accomplishments overseas.

They assume James pulls the strings, but conveniently forget all the times they've done things to aggravate him (having Thompson's and Smith's extensions drag on for months, playing most of last season without a backup PG, firing Griffin, trading Irving). Of course he has infinite freedom on court, which is standard practice with a superstar and should be with one who possesses a genius basketball IQ.

It's partially about Lue being young and coaching James, but mostly about him being black. People often mainly associate coaching with the tactical portion of it and in general they're loathe to credit blacks for anything involving or perceived to primarily involve intelligence.
    Some people perhaps. I think you’re pigeon-holing “people” the same way you think “people” pigeon-hole coaches based on skin color. I can admit race is an issue in this world, but you’re using the exact same approach to judging everyone else.

But I can see your point. If perception about one’s ability to coach wasn’t somewhat tied to skin color the ratio of black to non-black league coaches naturally seems like it would more closely match the demographics of the guys actually playing the game.

For me personally though, Lue just seemed under-qualified coming in. He moved from being hired as a director of player development into a head coaching job within about 4 years, spending really no time as a bench assistant. Personally I don’t care that he’s black, he just seemed like an odd choice for a head coach at this point in his career.

Coaching the NBA game is as much about managing egos these days as it is the x’s and o’s, and Lebron is a big ego the Lue seems to handle well. So perhaps he is a great NBA coach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people perhaps. I think you’re pigeon-holing “people” the same way you think “people” pigeon-hole coaches based on skin color. I can admit race is an issue in this world, but you’re using the exact same approach to judging everyone else.

But I can see your point. If perception about one’s ability to coach wasn’t somewhat tied to skin color the ratio of black to non-black league coaches naturally seems like it would more closely match the demographics of the guys actually playing the game.

For me personally though, Lue just seemed under-qualified coming in. He moved from being hired as a director of player development into a head coaching job within about 4 years, spending really no time as a bench assistant. Personally I don’t care that he’s black, he just seemed like an odd choice for a head coach at this point in his career.

Coaching the NBA game is as much about managing egos these days as it is the x’s and o’s, and Lebron is a big ego the Lue seems to handle well. So perhaps he is a great NBA coach.
    I didn't say all people. Think a lot of it is unconscious or unintentional and that they're just programmed to think that way because of stereotypes.

You know who spent no time in coaching whatsoever, in any capacity, before being named head coach? The genius Kerr.

I'm not saying Lue is a great coach (he isn't). I'm saying, the narrative is he's either doing no coaching or poor coaching (like virtually every other black coach), when in reality, like most things, the answer is somewhere in between.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    The way the media hypes up Doc Rivers' out-of-bounds plays says otherwise.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    You know who spent no time in coaching whatsoever, in any capacity, before being named head coach? The genius Kerr.
    It was the same story with Doc. The Magic hired him out of the broadcasting booth with no prior coaching experience. And you would think he was the greatest coach ever from how the media talks about him.

Mark Jackson was also hired from the broadcasting booth without any prior experience. And I still remember the media raking the Warriors over the coals for firing him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way the media hypes up Doc Rivers' out-of-bounds plays says otherwise.
    Rivers is one person. He's also been relentlessly criticized for the past 3 seasons, from his personnel decisions to his coaching.

Mark Jackson was also hired from the broadcasting booth without any prior experience. And I still remember the media raking the Warriors over the coals for firing him.

Perennially bad team that become good under his watch. That's about as in depth analysis as you'll get from many in the media (particularly older types).

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Rivers is one person. He's also been relentlessly criticized for the past 3 seasons, from his personnel decisions to his coaching.
    No he hasn't. The narrative is that he "overachieved" this year by missing the playoffs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No he hasn't. The narrative is that he "overachieved" this year by missing the playoffs
    He has. You base achievement off of what you have available at your disposal, not making the playoffs. Given that, they did overachieve.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

You base achievement off of what you have available at your disposal, not making the playoffs. Given that, they did overachieve.
    Doc has Jerry West getting the players for him now. There was enough talent on the roster to be a low-seed playoff team. Doc just didn't notice because he was too busy padding his son's stats.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Doc has Jerry West getting the players for him now. There was enough talent on the roster to be a low-seed playoff team. Doc just didn't notice because he was too busy padding his son's stats.
    West obviously has a prominent voice and maybe even final say on significant moves, but Frank is running the day to day operation.

There was enough talent to squeak in, if relatively healthy . . . they weren't even close to that.

There's no grey area with you. Everyone is either a genius or an idiot, when in reality they almost all fall somewhere in between, with luck and race playing a significant role in where the perception lies.

Thread Information