Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nonsense. He's a top 5 player in the NBA that had a fallout with his team. Plenty of teams will lineup to max him out. Sure, they'll check the medical status, but unless there's something serious, there's a lot of teams that will take that gamble.
    Upon being traded, the new team will do a medical and say he is clear. The group however might have other opinions on the matter

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Said the exact thing last week when gots wanted him traded to Brooklyn or Atlanta. Kawhi will control where he goes and there's not a damn thing Drunkford can do about it. So keep him happy and take calls from the list of teams he wants, and he'll keep quiet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard not being on the team next year means you blow it up, plain and simple. There is no scenario where the Spurs are competing for a le in the next 3-4 years that doesn't involve Leonard being on the team.

Trading away Kawhi/LMA nets you a minimum of two lottery picks and hopefully sheds the awful Fatty/Pau contracts. The team will be garbage for the next 2-3 years but at least you still have all your own picks. Pop can still kick back and collect his checks and you could even give a fat thank you contract to Porky if you wanted...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just send the Mute Cancer wherever he goes and move on feom this situation tbqh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard not being on the team next year means you blow it up, plain and simple. There is no scenario where the Spurs are competing for a le in the next 3-4 years that doesn't involve Leonard being on the team.

Trading away Kawhi/LMA nets you a minimum of two lottery picks and hopefully sheds the awful Fatty/Pau contracts. The team will be garbage for the next 2-3 years but at least you still have all your own picks. Pop can still kick back and collect his checks and you could even give a fat thank you contract to Porky if you wanted...
    Completely agree. Thank god LMA just had a career year tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they trade him he can't get the supermax anyways. He'd have to stay with the Spurs for one calendar year after signing it, they couldn't sign him to a supermax and then send him off to Boston or LA.
    I know, but if they trade him, that team gets his bird rights and he can sign for more with another team (not SuperMax but the level below that). By making him go to a team in free agency, there are no bird rights and gets the lowest version of his max possible.

Not only that, a team would have to have cap space to sign him. So he will have limited choices and if a team that wants him has to open up cap space, they would need to shed assets to do so making them less compe ive.

I don’t expect SA to do that, just saying I wish they would if all this is true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we can get Tatum and picks for Kawhi I would consider that a win.

Absolute amazing scenario would be Brown and Tatum for him, don't really see that happening though.

Another decent scenario could be some sort of package including Ingram from the Lakers.

Regardless, would give us a decent core moving forward of either.

Murray, White, Brown, Tatum, hopefully decent draft picks

OR

Murray, White, Tatum, Hopefully decent draft picks.

Will be odd to witness rebuilding years tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is zero reason to blow it up if you trade Kawhi. The team without him this year was 2 games from being a top 3 seed. Don’t be dumb.

If you add a few first round picks and a player and free agents (via SAs own first, a kawhi trade getting you picks and maybe a player and free agency) , this team could easily be a top 3-4 team in the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know, but if they trade him, that team gets his bird rights and he can sign for more with another team (not SuperMax but the level below that). By making him go to a team in free agency, there are no bird rights and gets the lowest version of his max possible.

Not only that, a team would have to have cap space to sign him. So he will have limited choices and if a team that wants him has to open up cap space, they would need to shed assets to do so making them less compe ive.

I don’t expect SA to do that, just saying I wish they would if all this is true.
    Lol Lakers will have all of the cap space in the world ready then. It's been reported 2019 is their plan anyways.

Like I said before.... the money he loses will be made back in sponsorships once he's the face of the showtime Lakers.

As for the Spurs? They won't get a damn thing back but dog in a bag and they'll have to eat those Fatty/Pau years or package picks to get rid of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Lakers will have all of the cap space in the world ready then. It's been reported 2019 is their plan anyways.

Like I said before.... the money he loses will be made back in sponsorships once he's the face of the showtime Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is zero reason to blow it up if you trade Kawhi. The team without him this year was 2 games from being a top 3 seed. Don’t be dumb.

If you add a few first round picks and a player and free agents (via SAs own first, a kawhi trade getting you picks and maybe a player and free agency) , this team could easily be a top 3-4 team in the league
    Jesus Christ this has to be the best post yet. All of it is glorious. Good ol DPG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get the best picks you can for him, accept you’re going to be in high lottery territory for a couple of years, hope a couple of Emids and Simmons come along and hope you’re not rooting for the Seattle or Las Vegas Spurs.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Exactly. It would be like the Pacers and the Paul George situation. (Nobody figured Oladipo would become this good). We are getting back perhaps a pick and a fringe starter player for Kawhi.
    I always knew Dipo was a bad man since college just like Kawhi............

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I love Kawhi as a player. Hoping like crazy all this blows over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get the best picks you can for him, accept you’re going to be in high lottery territory for a couple of years, hope a couple of Emids and Simmons come along and hope you’re not rooting for the Seattle or Las Vegas Spurs.
    Only way that happens is if Drunkford pays Manu until he's 45

These unloyal fat Mexicans barely showed up to watch 67-win teams much less a tanking Spurs team that has Fatty Mills and Pau Gasol starting. They better hope the old salvadorean doesn't retire because they'll lose so much money it'll be insane...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope Pop gets over himself and actually gets athletic wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You assume too much. When he's healthy, he's a top 5 player. We might have seen the last of that.
    Everybody is going to take a look at his health bill before putting up the dollars. But, unless it's something chronic and unlikely to get better (and we don't know that), then teams will gamble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with everything you said except for trading LMA. He put the team on his back this season and balled out through injury. Keep him and rebuild. Unless he wishes to be traded, which is 100% possible since he probably is looking to be on a contending team, not a lottery one.
    The problem with LMA is that if he confirms to only be a #1 in the regular season and can only be a #2 or #3 in the playoffs, we're spending a max contract with a known ceiling...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As for the Spurs? They won't get a damn thing back but dog in a bag and they'll have to eat those Fatty/Pau years or package picks to get rid of them.
    Nah - he’s not making that up in endorsements. Not even close. He got offered 20M/5 years from Jordan. He will be 70M less from LA vs SA’s SuperMax offer(not factoring in the additional money he loses with CA having state taxes vs TX having none). Jordan is not going to offer him 4x the money just for doing the same thing on a worse team because it’s a bigger market. Sorry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs weren’t in the lottery without him this year and they would have much more assets than before. Why would they get worse over the next couple years with that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah - he’s not making that up in endorsements. Not even close. He got offered 20M/5 years from Jordan. He will be 70M less (not factoring in the additional money he loses with CA having state taxes vs TX having none). Jordan is not going to offer him 4x the money just for doing the same thing on a worse team because it’s a bigger market. Sorry.
    Have you seen the deals borderline Top10 players have received from Adidas or Nike? He will make that $70M back, 100% guaranteed.

That 20M was offered after he missed a full season and was playing in the little creek of San Antonio. That will easily quadruple. You're uninformed if you believe otherwise.

Even Footlocker is asking fans what team he'll be at next. This city is ing up his money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They were practically held together by duct tape. A 32 year old turning in a career season (and playing with the motivation to restore his standing in the league, which has more or less been accomplished) and a 40 year old, who's probably going to retire, occasionally turning back the clock to play closer.

Even if you add Tatum, the best case scenario would be barely making the playoffs, getting blown away by the Warriors or Rockets, ending up with a middling pick and getting on the treadmill of mediocrity.

If they have any sense, they should absolutely look to sell high on Aldridge (he's an awkward piece, so I still don't think his value would be commensurate with his ability). Between the two trades, that should leave them well on their way to an accelerated re-build/load, however you want to term it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But it's probably one of the worst situations to be in this league, tbh... good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to contend.

You don't get good picks, and you don't have legit shots at a championship...

Maybe it's not outright blowing it up entirely, but the Spurs will need to land some sort of star to make up for it. Lebron? Who knows.

This isn't Charlotte where you can con the fans about what it takes to win a championship or be a contender, tbh... once you tasted greatness, middle of the pack doesn't do it anymore, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you seen the deals borderline Top10 players have received from Adidas or Nike? He will make that $70M back, 100% guaranteed.

That 20M was offered after he missed a full season and was playing in the little creek of San Antonio. That will easily quadruple. You're uninformed if you believe otherwise.

Even Footlocker is asking fans what team he'll be at next. This city is ing up his money.
    No. Not at all. Market doesn’t matter at all. Lebron doing great in CLE. DAME in POR. Westbrook in OKC. It’s already been debunked.

Yes, the top players are getting massive deals, but that is because they care and market themselves heavily off court. Unless Kawhi is willing to drastically change that side of himself (which seems unlikely) they aren’t just coughing up money for a really unmarketable star no matter how talented he is on the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it's probably one of the worst situations to be in this league, tbh... good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to contend.

You don't get good picks, and you don't have legit shots at a championship...

Maybe it's not outright blowing it up entirely, but the Spurs will need to land some sort of star to make up for it. Lebron? Who knows.

This isn't Charlotte where you can con the fans about what it takes to win a championship or be a contender, tbh... once you tasted greatness, middle of the pack doesn't do it anymore, IMO.
    I think this logic is so misguided.

Spurs would be getting excellent picks in this situation. They would already have a playoff-caliber team but would now add possible lottery picks to that?

If SA had 2 more wins they would have been the third seed. If any other team in the league was basically a third seed record-wise and could add a lottery pick(s) and possible players as well to that same team, who on Earth would advocate blowing it up??

You aren’t going to be able to build a favorite type team no matter what with GS around. You just do the best you can do and this team with lottery picks added along with free agent tweaking knowing what you know now with Kawhi gone, can be a top 4 team.

You under no cir stance blow that up. Ever. Good news is I highly doubt SA would do that so I’m not worried

Thread Information