Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi wants to be a spur for life... He is just trying to get better... But it doesn't feel good that the fans he has played his ass off for for years is now turning against him because of the opinion of the medical staff...

The guy wants to stay, and will stay.... I'd quicker ship out LA than Kawhi... ANYDAY... I KNOW Kawhi will be a fighter in the playoffs... LA gives up during the middle of the game, and has very poor body language... He caused a turnover, then watched Gay like it was Gay's fault... Dude is a cancer... Wanted to leave a winning team because he was only scoring 17 a game...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only way that happens is if Drunkford pays Manu until he's 45

These unloyal fat Mexicans barely showed up to watch 67-win teams much less a tanking Spurs team that has Fatty Mills and Pau Gasol starting. They better hope the old salvadorean doesn't retire because they'll lose so much money it'll be insane...
    I'll elo bet anyone that Spurs don't leave SA in the next 5 years. They will honestly never leave San Antonio, but can't really make a bet on that now can we. I'm down to bet money as well if anyone is more comfortable with that.

So any of you gots that love to push the gy narrative of SA fans suck, spurs will leave, etc feel free to sack the up. Until then stfu.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    There is zero reason to blow it up if you trade Kawhi. The team without him this year was 2 games from being a top 3 seed. Don’t be dumb.

If you add a few first round picks and a player and free agents (via SAs own first, a kawhi trade getting you picks and maybe a player and free agency) , this team could easily be a top 3-4 team in the league
    but you have to admit it was so nice of Aldridge to have a career year so the Spurs could eek into one of the last remaining Western Conference playoffs spots only to get humiliated in the 1st round and miss out on a lottery pick.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is zero reason to blow it up if you trade Kawhi. The team without him this year was 2 games from being a top 3 seed. Don’t be dumb.
    And they were 1 game from being the 9-seed.

If you add a few first round picks and a player and free agents (via SAs own first, a kawhi trade getting you picks and maybe a player and free agency) , this team could easily be a top 3-4 team in the league
    They're not a le contending team without Leonard, so no one is coming here without the team grossly overpaying. Without Leonard the Spurs are just another Charlotte, Utah, or Sacramento to free agents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were practically held together by duct tape. A 32 year old turning in a career season (and playing with the motivation to restore his standing in the league, which has more or less been accomplished) and a 40 year old, who's probably going to retire, occasionally turning back the clock to play closer.

Even if you add Tatum, the best case scenario would be barely making the playoffs, getting blown away by the Warriors or Rockets, ending up with a middling pick and getting on the treadmill of mediocrity.

If they have any sense, they should absolutely look to sell high on Aldridge (he's an awkward piece, so I still don't think his value would be commensurate with his ability). Between the two trades, that should leave them well on their way to an accelerated re-build/load, however you want to term it.
    Ummm, without Tatum and other lottery picks (and the benefit of planning in free agency knowing Kawhi is gone), this team was a playoff team that was every bit as close to the 3rd seed as they were being out.

It’s not hard to think that SA can get way better contributions than they got from MIlls/TP/Manu on a consistent basis which alone would net them 2 wins and put them in the third seed. Let alone lottery level talent and free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they were 1 game from being the 9-seed.

They're not a le contending team without Leonard, so no one is coming here without the team grossly overpaying. Without Leonard the Spurs are just another Charlotte, Utah, or Sacramento to free agents.
    Yall are crazy people. Seriously.

Hey, if you cant’ build a team that on paper is considered better than GS, what’s the point??????

GTFO with that IMO.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Not at all. Market doesn’t matter at all. Lebron doing great in CLE. DAME in POR. Westbrook in OKC. It’s already been debunked.

Yes, the top players are getting massive deals, but that is because they care and market themselves heavily off court. Unless Kawhi is willing to drastically change that side of himself (which seems unlikely) they aren’t just coughing up money for a really unmarketable star no matter how talented he is on the court.
    You obviously never saw Kawhi at SDSt... he wasn't the socially awkward dude he is now. The Pop Nazi regime turned him into that. You know, the guy that put Bertans in the doghouse after he fought in Milwaukee? The guy that's always telling his players to get over themselves?

He's willing to do commercials and the quiet stuff will sell easily. Just ask D Rose. Just needs the hype machine like they've put on the bearded terrorist. You see that guy everywhere whether it's on AllState/Adidas/Foot Locker commercials.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Everybody is going to take a look at his health bill before putting up the dollars. But, unless it's something chronic and unlikely to get better (and we don't know that), then teams will gamble.

Why? Is Kawhi's entourage holding an offseason training session and inviting prospectus GM's and coaches to watch him work out? According to his medical records, he's been cleared to play for months. I agree that a few teams will throw stupid money at him in 2019 but it's still a risky proposition to give up anything of real value this offseason until they know he's completely over his injury and he'll resign with said team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hey, if you cant’ build a team that on paper is considered better than GS, what’s the point??????

GTFO with that IMO.
    I don't completely disagree with you and I think that many of the posters who have mocked you are just covering their own asses, as they said the Spurs couldn't make the playoffs without Kawhi(and said that they were worse than OKC/Denver/Minnesota WITH Kawhi, you know who they are)..

However, the "close to the 3 seed" argument is pretty weak IMO..this was the first time the West had only 2 50-win teams in nearly 30 years..from a depth perspective, it's safe to say that this was the worst West in a looooooong time, so this was somewhat of a fluky season that shouldn't be an indicator of where the Spurs are at in this point of the franchise..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi wants to be a spur for life... He is just trying to get better... But it doesn't feel good that the fans he has played his ass off for for years is now turning against him because of the opinion of the medical staff...

The guy wants to stay, and will stay.... I'd quicker ship out LA than Kawhi... ANYDAY... I KNOW Kawhi will be a fighter in the playoffs... LA gives up during the middle of the game, and has very poor body language... He caused a turnover, then watched Gay like it was Gay's fault... Dude is a cancer... Wanted to leave a winning team because he was only scoring 17 a game...
    My friend. The injury aside, which every player has publicly supported Kawhi in, is not the issue. Being around and engaged is the issue (along with communication from the face of the franchise).

Don’t you see that? Everyone wants him to stay and be healthy and get the money he’s earned. They also want him to be a better leader.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this logic is so misguided.

Spurs would be getting excellent picks in this situation. They would already have a playoff-caliber team but would now add possible lottery picks to that?

If SA had 2 more wins they would have been the third seed. If any other team in the league was basically a third seed record-wise and could add a lottery pick(s) and possible players as well to that same team, who on Earth would advocate blowing it up??

You aren’t going to be able to build a favorite type team no matter what with GS around. You just do the best you can do and this team with lottery picks added along with free agent tweaking knowing what you know now with Kawhi gone, can be a top 4 team.

You under no cir stance blow that up. Ever. Good news is I highly doubt SA would do that so I’m not worried
    Third seed sounds pretty, but barring significant injuries, this conference is a two team race, then the rest. And by the rest I mean a bunch of middle of the ground teams that are not actively trying to tank and then teams actively tanking.

Picks are obviously great, especially top 10, but they take at least 1-2 years to develop (if not more), and your best player is north of 32 years old. Thats provided the Spurs can actually get those kind of picks in this Kawhi situation, which is far from a sure thing.

I also doubt the Spurs would go that route, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be the best route to go in the long term, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but you have to admit it was so nice of Aldridge to have a career year so the Spurs could eek into one of the last remaining Western Conference playoffs spots only to get humiliated in the 1st round and miss out on a lottery pick.
    It was nice. I would much rather have the playoffs and the 18th pick than the 14th and it’s not really even close. You don’t want to miss the playoffs just to jump up 4 spots. If you can be truly bad and get a top 3 pick, ok maybe but for 14th?? No.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ummm, without Tatum and other lottery picks (and the benefit of planning in free agency knowing Kawhi is gone), this team was a playoff team that was every bit as close to the 3rd seed as they were being out.

It’s not hard to think that SA can get way better contributions than they got from MIlls/TP/Manu on a consistent basis which alone would net them 2 wins and put them in the third seed. Let alone lottery level talent and free agency.
    A '19 lottery pick wouldn't be on the team next season and whatever other young players/picks would be in it, would either be unlikely to be in the rotation or on the team. Most of this team is under contract and likely to return.

They've been trending down since the calendar turned to '18. If the season were 1 more game and they didn't play a tanking team, at home, in it, they more than likely miss the playoffs altogether. In their current state, they're probably the 11th best team in the West.

Ginobili is probably retiring, Parker probably can't get worse, but he could very well stagnate and Mills is probably going to continue to inexplicably play the expanded role he's graduated to fulltime. Those are not positives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nonsense. He's a top 5 player in the NBA that had a fallout with his team. Plenty of teams will lineup to max him out. Sure, they'll check the medical status, but unless there's something serious, there's a lot of teams that will take that gamble.
    missing out a full year on a personal medical team rehab schedule is serious. I think until he can play the offers will be lukewarm... by that I mean, not really the kind of offers that you can build around.

We shall see. I hope he's healthy at this point, no matter what happens. Worsening chronic condition that needs private medical group treatment continues next season and it's over in terms of him being consider a top player... he's going to have to rehabilitate his value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You obviously never saw Kawhi at SDSt... he wasn't the socially awkward dude he is now. The Pop Nazi regime turned him into that. You know, the guy that put Bertans in the doghouse after he fought in Milwaukee? The guy that's always telling his players to get over themselves?

He's willing to do commercials and the quiet stuff will sell easily. Just ask D Rose. Just needs the hype machine like they've put on the bearded terrorist. You see that guy everywhere whether it's on AllState/Adidas/Foot Locker commercials.
    You were just presented with multiple examples of guys in small markets doing so much better than Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? Is Kawhi's entourage holding an offseason training session and inviting prospectus GM's and coaches to watch him work out? According to his medical records, he's been cleared to play for months. I agree that a few teams will throw stupid money at him in 2019 but it's still a risky proposition to give up anything of real value this offseason until they know he's completely over his injury and he'll resign with said team.
    He's not been cleared by his personal doctor (allegedly), so the question is what's the actual health condition and it's outlook for the future. We're not privy to that info, but prospective teams will have to access that info to make a decision, that much is clear.

The question is when there's access to that info, what is it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't completely disagree with you and I think that many of the posters who have mocked you are just covering their own asses, as they said the Spurs couldn't make the playoffs without Kawhi(and said that they were worse than OKC/Denver/Minnesota WITH Kawhi, you know who they are)..

However, the "close to the 3 seed" argument is pretty weak IMO..this was the first time the West had only 2 50-win teams in nearly 30 years..from a depth perspective, it's safe to say that this was the worst West in a looooooong time, so this was somewhat of a fluky season that shouldn't be an indicator of where the Spurs are at in this point of the franchise..
    I think it was a fair assessment. The West wasn’t bad because there were only 2 50+ win teams; it was just that it was hyper compe ive and jumbled up with no real seperation beneath HOU/GS. I think it will continue that way mostly (maybe there will be a third 50 win team next season).

That was not the point though. Spurs and many other teams were 1–3 wins from damn near everyone having 50 wins. I don’t evaluate things off of a few games here or there. The West was damn good, SA was right in the mix without Kawhi which was devastating because it was out of nowhere.

That was the point my man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, even though I don’t think they would, they should not trade Kawhi. Make him suffer both the financial and basketball ramifications of his decisions.

Make sure he loses 70M. Make sure you limit his options on where he can play to teams that have capspace when he’s a free agent after next season.
    It's risky but until he's healthy I don't think they will get offers that will allow them to really rebuild, which then doesn't make the trades worth it. You want a pick from the clippers? A pick that if it wasn't for a few good games from Manu Ginobili this year you would have gotten yourself without trading? No way. I think Pop is stuck in this situation.

Maybe I am delusional at this point. I don't think he gets traded...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's risky but until he's healthy I don't think they will get offers that will allow them to really rebuild, which then doesn't make the trades worth it. You want a pick from the clippers? A pick that if it wasn't for a few good games from Manu Ginobili this year you would have gotten yourself without trading? No way. I think Pop is stuck in this situation.

He only gets traded if SA doesn’t want him here. If that decision is made, they will get the best they can even if it’s not what they wanted.

I don’t think it’s the reverse; meaning they won’t keep him because they don’t like the offers. They will make the decision and take what they can.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He only gets traded if SA doesn’t want him here. If that decision is made, they will get the best they can even if it’s not what they wanted.

I don’t think it’s the reverse; meaning they won’t keep him because they don’t like the offers. They will make the decision and take what they can.
    I've maintained this all along . . . yet I couldn't resist getting dragged into trade talk.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kawhi isn't even in support of the team in this playoff. Where are you getting that he wants to be here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is what it comes to, Kawhi will have a lot of sway where he ends up and conversely, what the Spurs can get for him.

With a supermax from the Spurs out of the horizon in this case, it's very likely whoever team wants to bid for Kawhi would want him to sign an extension before agreeing to trade any major pieces, picks.

Teams that would potentially take on him on a one year rental are unlikely to offer anywhere as much, considering the risk he might walk at the end of the season.

Obviously, Kawhi can also just wait out the year, earn the last $19m on his current contract, become a free agent and do as he pleases, without the Spurs getting anything back. This would be the worst case scenario for the Spurs, and one they would want to avoid.

So be prepared for the fact that the Spurs might not have a lot of leverage if this situation plays out. Unfortunately, at this point they would be trying to make the best of a bad situation.
    Dude can't walk now. I doubt the other team would fear him leaving. I'd think they'd fear him getting his pussy hurt and deciding by posse committee that he's done for the season.

If your team doctors aren't good enough to release a player to play, what good are they? Maybe the NBA will eventually be such that players have to pay for their own doctors.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Call me crazy, but I actually think they might trade Aldridge.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

GTFO with that IMO.
    You're so focused on that 3-seed even though the Spurs are a 7-seed, and closer to the 9-seed than the 3-seed. They're nothing close to a typical WC (3) seed, which is a team that usually has an underdog shot at a le.

2017: Rockets 55-17
    2016: Thunder 55-17
    2015: Clippers 56-26
    2014: Clippers 57-25
    2013: Nuggets 57-25
    2012: Lakers 41-25 (extrapolates to 51-31 in an 82 game season)
    2011: Mavericks 57-25
    2010: Suns 54-28
    2009: Spurs 54-28
    2008: Spurs 56-26
    2007: Spurs 58-24

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this logic is so misguided.

Spurs would be getting excellent picks in this situation. They would already have a playoff-caliber team but would now add possible lottery picks to that?

If SA had 2 more wins they would have been the third seed. If any other team in the league was basically a third seed record-wise and could add a lottery pick(s) and possible players as well to that same team, who on Earth would advocate blowing it up??

You aren’t going to be able to build a favorite type team no matter what with GS around. You just do the best you can do and this team with lottery picks added along with free agent tweaking knowing what you know now with Kawhi gone, can be a top 4 team.

You under no cir stance blow that up. Ever. Good news is I highly doubt SA would do that so I’m not worried
    Hopefully the scenario you describe leads to a situation similar to current boston in the sense that you already have a somewhat good team but adding the picks and young talent to it makes you a very good team as in top tier team... when and where it can be termed a contender then you are getting into all sorts of semantics arguments with other fans but I know what you mean. A current good team adds picks and young talent that is carefully drafted and hopefully they take a leap. the youngsters are also in a better development environment. It sounds better to me than rebuild scenarios that involve a complete tear down... you can be in that purgatory for many, many years... look at the Mavs, there's worse examples too. So long as they ship off Patty tbh... just develop some young guards from now on and look around at someone better.

Thread Information