Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many wins do you see this year's team having if Aldridge was out for the season too?
    35-40

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're talking a single lotto pick, probably 7 or later. I'm talking multiple lotto picks. Of course Buford's not going to hit it out of the park on every pick, but I see it as the best way to get him a chance to do it once. The draft is the only way they're getting another Leonard, or a Davis, or a Simmons that could give them a foundation to build a contender around. If you're not going to blow the team up your best bet is probably just daring Kawhi to pull this act for another year and hoping he stops being a or tells his uncle to go himself next year.
    This makes no sense man, it really doesn’t. If you didn’t have a Kawhi (the player or trade asset) and you had no real base I can MAYBE see it. But you do. You have a playoff team that you can either add Kawhi too + free agents and really contend or a playoff team that you can trade Kawhi and be in the rare spot of being a playoff team with a top 10 pick (or maybe two) due to a trade.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those of you who want to blow it up, whats the most you think you get from a LMA trade?
    I'd hope for multiple future draft picks to stockpile like when Ainge fleeced Billy King for the corpses of Pierce and Garnett.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it doesn't HAVE to be the team that drafted you, as long as it was the team that you signed with for the first extension after the rookie contract was up.

So if you traded for the guy in his first 4 years or less, you can still extend him and then have the rights to his supermax 4-5 years later.
    I don’t believe what you said is true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guess I've been MIA from the board for too long this season because I'm genuinely surprised that people are still overrating the talent on the roster. Outside of Lamarcus and a 40yo Manu, there isn't a single guy on this roster I'd want on a team competing for a championship tbh.
    it's useless, people only see what they want to see, this team has two players (Aldridge and Kawhi) and that's it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone thinks this team is close to the top without Kawhi they're just as out of their minds as the people who liked the Pau and Mills deals.

Unless they move Kawhi for Doncic or Ayton, they're going to tumble. Even getting one of those two would be a losing trade, but the best they could make. TJ Warren or Tobias Harris and picks in the teens are a cruel joke.

They barely got in the playoffs with being mostly healthy sans Kawhi and Rudy missing whatever he missed.

Just to bring back their big minutes free agents will be expensive. Are they supposed to spend another $98 on Anderson, Green, Bertans, Forbes and Parker? Or $148?

Pau will be older, worse, and I am sure more broken down and injured.

Mills will be older, worse, and fatter. Really fat. I'm thinking bigger than Felton.

Parker or Ginobili or both will be even older, worse, and less healthy.

Murray is at the crossroads of learning to shoot or being worth a second round pick like Elfrid Payton.

Joffrey will still be on the roster.

Aldridge had his best season, awesome. He's probably not topping that next year.

Even letting go of Green and Anderson, the most expensive of their possible free agents, won't get them big money under the cap. And even if it did, no free agent worth a damn is coming into this cauldron of confusion.

It's a mess. This team is primed for a lottery season without Kawhi or a big time prospect like Doncic who is overrated anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd hope for multiple future draft picks to stockpile like when Ainge fleeced Billy King for the corpses of Pierce and Garnett.
    Who's going to give you those picks? Multiple first round picks? Yeah, I don't think LMA is bringing back multiple firsts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I for one am really looking forward to this off season. SA has a chance to keep Kawhi long-term, or pull off a franchise changing trade. They already have a solid first round pick and 2nd round pick.

They can and probably will try to make some other moves. We might have two other franchise legends done with SA. So much can go on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I for one am really looking forward to this off season. SA has a chance to keep Kawhi long-term, or pull off a franchise changing trade. They already have a solid first round pick and 2nd round pick. They can and probably will try to make some other moves. We might have two other franchise legends done with SA. So much can go on.
    Depressing and exciting at the same moment. I just hope the torch stays lit, and the bridge over troubled waters stays intact. If they move him, and get a pick from it that keeps the torch lit, I won't mind a couple down years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never seen a fanbase be so excited to be the the Miami Heat from the last 5 years after LeBron left.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never seen a fanbase be so excited to be the the Miami Heat from the last 5 years after LeBron left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never seen such a fanbase be so excited to be the the Miami Heat from the last 5 years after LeBron left.
    Dude you want to be the Bulls after Jordan left soooooooooo?

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah because Kawhi is a top 3 player in the league when healthy. He's that damn good. You take him away, and you're looking at a roster that is several tiers below HOU/GS and was one game away from being with the Lakers/Kings of the league....
    Doesn't matter how "good" he is if he's a quivering pink vagina.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very true.

At least when Miami paid $107 million for James Johnson and Dion Waiters they younger and could handle more minutes.

But yeah, it gets them shat on by a million points by the higher seed in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen Ayton's name thrown around here and some of the hype he received during March Madness, couldn't comment on him though while on my hiatus. IMO he is too slow footed for today's NBA, wasn't impressed after watching some game tape of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're talking a single lotto pick, probably 7 or later. I'm talking multiple lotto picks.
    I'm actually talking about giving him a single lotto pick to work with first and seeing what happens. You've yet to explain why that isn't a superior solution. Sure, they probably don't draft the next instant-star with the Brooklyn pick or whatever. But what if they do? Then they would have dumped LMA for nothing. Again, you can always blow it up. You can't always put it together. There's no an expiration date on your solution where we have to rush it along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It also means they had a sub optimal approach. How many games did they lose because they were simply waiting for a savior to come back that was never going to come.
    That too. The team has been through the ringer emotionally this season. A fresh start with some new blood and not having to wait on what Kawhi does seems worth the experiment at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen Ayton's name thrown around here and some of the hype he received during March Madness, couldn't comment on him though while on my hiatus. IMO he is too slow footed for today's NBA, wasn't impressed after watching some game tape of him.
    Don't agree he's slow at all. I didn't watch a ton of his games, but I watched him when they played A&M and at no point did I think he was a slow big man. He's pretty ing athletic man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, he won't. PG didn't get to go to LA despite having a clean bill of health and explicitly saying he wanted to go there. People like to complain about Indy's return, but it was about as good as you can expect . Imagine if they'd've gotten Kyrie's return instead. , Cousins straight-up threatened to leave the team that traded for him, and he went for a lightly protected lotto first, a rookie mid-lotto pick and a decent vet. 80 percent of the offers discussed here are in that same caliber. If the offers are low, it will be because of health, not because of where he's going to reup.

That said, I do think teams will suppress offers with the idea that Kawhi may not play a game there. Phoenix may not risk the top pick for him, though I do think Warren and 15 would happen even if Kawhi had a leg amputated. A team like the Clippers, who are likely to buy into the LA hype, might comparatively sell the farm for Leonard. Boston may want to nickel and dime PATFO, but Boston. Ultimately, the biggest determinant in how well the Spurs make out in a Leonard trade will be RC's ability to evaluate a package. Oladipo probably gets a top-five pick in this draft. No one would have thought that a year ago. As mentioned IT and Crowder were hot garbage, and the Brooklyn pick is mediocre. Going for the next Oladipo-like turnaround and avoiding the IT-like pitfall will make or break the team.
    That's what I said. The Spurs will not be getting as much in return if it's a one year rental, as opposed to a team that would get a thumbs up from Kawhi for an extension right after the trade.

OKC rented PG for a season, and Indy did good, but not great. Of course you can always ship his ass without his consent, but value is different if they're trading for a one season rental.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    now that kawhi is pretty much out the door how much longer do u think Pop sticks around

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not trade Kawhi for the record.

I understand the frustration everyone has had and I share it too (in terms of his isolation from the team, etc)... I assume he's affected by a chronic tendinopathy that will affect his trade value anyways and I hope... and that is just hope... that he can recover from it and that if he's healthy the relationship can be salvaged. If he can't bc he doesn't recover well enough, spurfan isn't getting enough for him anyway to make it worth it. He has a better ceiling than anyone we can get. I don't think he has asked for a trade IMO... I don't want to go too much into speculation bc that topic is in many threads. The only relevant point is that I would rather find out if he gets healthy and can play. Even if PATFO finds out they need to trade him, he has a lot more value healthy and in MVP shape. It would suck to lose him then, healthy and in MVP form, but then at least you can get a package that is better.... anyways, I still hope he stays. not dunca2k5 level of semenshielding... but I was pretty down on LMA last season and I don't think this is beyond repair, so long as he can be healthy.

Ok with that out of the way, if LMA had missed the 25 games they missed from Gay (on top of Kiwi's tendinopathy) they for sure are in the high lottery IMO. So a scenario where they end up in an involuntary tank is a possibility... just bc Kiwi may still be injured and LMA has knee issues and is getting up there in age... but I would take that risk bc the ceiling if they are both healthy (a possibility too, the optimistic view) is very high.

I would not stand pat with the rest of the roster another summer though. If next summer sucks and both players are injured then at least we will get a good lotto pick without having to trade anyone.

I am hoping this thing with Kiwi can be fixed. It's a risk to lose him for nothing but I would take that risk considering his current injury both depresses his value and also makes it likely that it caused all rifts in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook, I guess I can see how that could be misunderstood... I just wanted to point out that whoever thinks PATFO can just go ahead and get Lebron + 4 top-5 picks for Kawhi, don't understand the dynamics of this thing. Kawhi just saying he won't suit up for those guys can completely change whatever the Spurs get in return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I said. The Spurs will not be getting as much in return if it's a one year rental, as opposed to a team that would get a thumbs up from Kawhi for an extension right after the trade.

OKC rented PG for a season, and Indy did good, but not great. Of course you can always ship his ass without his consent, but value is different if they're trading for a one season rental.
    The rental part isn't the issue. Almost all of the deals we're talking about work just fine for rentals. Only a couple of people have argued the team is going to get like multiple top-flight assets or anything like that. The reason why Tatum-plus may not happen is not because Kawhi supposedly wants to go to LA; it's because no one knows if he's ever going to be healthy again. I think a number of teams are willing to risk him walking for a chance to put him with their best guys (like OKC did). No one wants a guy with a degenerative knee, though.

Chinook, I guess I can see how that could be misunderstood... I just wanted to point out that whoever thinks PATFO can just go ahead and get Lebron + 4 top-5 picks for Kawhi, don't understand the dynamics of this thing. Kawhi just saying he won't suit up for those guys can completely change whatever the Spurs get in return.
    That's true. I think some people are expecting to get one of the biggest packages in NBA history for him. But I also think most here have already adjusted their expectations down to acceptable levels. This past year showed us the real market for stars that end up moving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The rental part isn't the issue. Almost all of the deals we're talking about work just fine for rentals. Only a couple of people have argued the team is going to get like multiple top-flight assets or anything like that. The reason why Tatum-plus may not happen is not because Kawhi supposedly wants to go to LA; it's because no one knows if he's ever going to be healthy again. I think a number of teams are willing to risk him walking for a chance to put him with their best guys (like OKC did). No one wants a guy with a degenerative knee, though.
    Agreed on the health issue. Spurs or anybody else will look for a clean bill of health, or at least a diagnosis from an independent doctor before doing anything. That much is clear, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, for people talking about the future, not only LMA is aging, but our 3rd best player this season and HoF, probably will retire this summer or the next, which will drop the whole system/corporate knowledge some more.

I was hoping we would see some of the youngsters on this team pick up the slack, but it just hasn't happened. And that's very disheartening... I'm giving Murray a pass because he's a rookie and at least he looks like he wants it, but he's still too green too.

Thread Information