Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never seen a fanbase be so excited to be the the Miami Heat from the last 5 years after LeBron left.
    including Riley being senile, just like Pop..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even then. Part of the rule is you have to play with the team that drafted you in order to be eligible
    What was the talk about Chris Paul still being able to get the Supermax when he was traded? I take it that was wrong? I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere, or was that just for a regular max contract? How about guys like Harden that weren't drafted by their current team? Does the team you were on when the Supermax was created apply, or do you still go back to whatever team you were drafted by before the Supermax was in existence?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What was the talk about Chris Paul still being able to get the Supermax when he was traded? I take it that was wrong? I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere, or was that just for a regular max contract? How about guys like Harden that weren't drafted by their current team? Does the team you were on when the Supermax was created apply, or do you still go back to whatever team you were drafted by before the Supermax was in existence?
    So Harden was different; I should have been more clear. If you were traded in the first four years (like Harden) and meet all the other qualifications, then yes you can sign as Harden did.

Kawhi (and CP3) however were not traded in their first four years. So they would only be eligible if they signed the SuperMax (assuming they met the other qualifications) with their respective teams.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    including Riley being senile, just like Pop..
    It fits to a tee. Damn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason we only found out today that Kawhi is out for the postseason is because he was trying to come back and play right up to the last minute. Today multiple sources from Shams to Jabari made it clear Kawhi’s rehab was in concert with the Spurs and their medical staff. Pop said “He’s in New York rehabbing trying to get healthy.” Another part of Pop’s interview, which was really funny, got spun into some more utter bull about how angry Pop was. Bull .

I expect Kawhi to sign the supermax this summer and remain on the Spurs for his entire career. If not, then it will be an interesting summer finding out who we will get in his place. However he can’t save us tomorrow and we have a game to play.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Harden was different; I should have been more clear. If you were traded in the first four years (like Harden) and meet all the other qualifications, then yes you can sign as Harden did.

Kawhi (and CP3) however were not traded in their first four years. So they would only be eligible if they signed the SuperMax (assuming they met the other qualifications) with their respective teams.
    Thanks for the explanation. Can any player that is traded from now on within the first 4 years of their career still get the Supermax? And do those qualifications have to be met with their new team or can it carry over from their old team?

Also, what did CP3 gain being traded to the Rockets? Just his regular Bird rights?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George>>Leonard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My friend. The injury aside, which every player has publicly supported Kawhi in, is not the issue. Being around and engaged is the issue (along with communication from the face of the franchise).

Don’t you see that? Everyone wants him to stay and be healthy and get the money he’s earned. They also want him to be a better leader.
    But the Spurs want him to stay in NY... why are fans and media ignoring that? Smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Call me crazy, but I actually think they might trade Aldridge.
    They should

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes, ya. That’s not to say SA doesn’t have legit issues. It’s clear they do. I”m saying you can’t just look at something only on the negative and conveniently forget about the bad luck too.

They played well in many of the road losses and then just melted down. Is what it is, but let’s not act like they just only won games and made the playoffs just because of good luck!!
    Not sure if u watch other teams... But that's what bad teams do, bro...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if Buford strikes gold on a single pick that plays at a star level from day 1 and the Spurs sign a hot shot free agent and White is good? Probably still not better than next year's Celtics or Sixers.
    The sad truth is, pop would probably send the pick to the GL for a year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one that thinks Kawhi is going to stay on the Spurs? Yeah this season has been crazy and a lot of unanswered questions but do you expect anything less than the Spurs and the Mute himself Kawhi. IMO there is no way in Kawhi and his team is trying to dip and not get the super max done, I just cant see it. it is odd that Pop is making these comments about go ask his people and all that but maybe the Spurs training team did screw up who knows, I just dont see Kawhi trying to go else where and turning down the biggest pay day of his life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one that thinks Kawhi is going to stay on the Spurs? Yeah this season has been crazy and a lot of unanswered questions but do you expect anything less than the Spurs and the Mute himself Kawhi. IMO there is no way in Kawhi and his team is trying to dip and not get the super max done, I just cant see it. it is odd that Pop is making these comments about go ask his people and all that but maybe the Spurs training team did screw up who knows, I just dont see Kawhi trying to go else where and turning down the biggest pay day of his life.
    I think he stays. Combination of Spurs really wanting him to, GMs being a pain trying to swindle the Spurs, Kawhi being injured putting them in a rough spot to get value, and the relationship being salvageable if he’s healthy. Lamarcus wanted to get traded and didn’t when the Spurs couldn’t get who they wanted for him. This is a similar situation. If someone throws the kitchen sink at the Spurs for Kawhi, then yeah he may be traded. But is any GM going to do that for a guy who missed a season with a chronic injury and has autism, an overbearing uncle and his own medical team? If he can’t play, no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, still crazy to believe how badly this situation has unfolded since last season.

Can't believe the Spurs are a few months away from trading away Kawhi (i'd put it at near 95% at this point tbh).

Really hope they completely blow it up after, trade Lamarcus and hopefully attach the Fatty/Pau contracts. Get as many first rounders as possible this draft and the next and figure out who's going to take over for Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luckily for all the fans that will be happy just to keep a meaningless playoff streak alive only to get skull ed by HOU/GS the next 3 years, PATFO will never ever blow it up.

We'll see a Kawhi trade for 50 cents on the dollar, give Porky a 2 year thank you contract, double down on the Patty/Pau deals, probably another 10mil/year deal to Danny, overpay Fathead...at least Manu won't have to sit through another season of this mediocrity.....

We'll convince ourselves that Dejounte/White is a star backcourt in the making, overhype whatever 18th pick we end up with....only to be curbstomped again by a real team. Maybe they overachieve tho and make a 2nd round appearance so Pop can get outcoached by Alvin Gentry or Billy Donovan
    orbital nuke bombardment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi really does end up leaving, he really ed the Spurs with this whole fiasco.

Pretty much wasted this entire season because the entire team was built around him.

If they end up trading him this summer, they are going to get pennies on the dollar because absolutely nobody knows how healthy he really is, and the only sample size we have since last year are those 9 games where he clearly looked injured.

Even a trade mid-next-season won't net a full return because teams know the Spurs are going to be desperate to unload him before he walks for nothing.

I'm still hanging on to that thread of hope that Kawhi really is just trying to get healthy, all of this animosity is just sensationalized media, and he signs his extension and comes back healthy next year. Any other scenario would pretty much mean Kawhi did the Spurs dirty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two best possible scenario for this situation are as follows.

Trade Kawhi for draft picks and young up and coming talent.

Sign him to super max and trade him for equal monetary value in contracts and draft picks. He will gut the next team he is with just to take that contract on The next team will have to give up between 40 and 50 million in contracts to get Kawhi, hard to do that without give up some quality.

My favorite option is to do the super-max and get a ton of draft picks and expiring contracts. I trust the Spurs leadership to find excellent players in the draft to rebuild.

The best part will be watching Kawhi flounder in a talent less team and the media crucify him for leaving a good thing for brighter lights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question: there is nothing in stone that the designated player level offer has to be made this summer as opposed to in the summer of 2019? If the spurs don’t move Leonard now, they still have that massive trump card to play in the summer of 2019, no?
    If he wants out, and all indications are that he does, he's already ready to leave that on the table. I doubt another year changes his mind, and then he walks for nothing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he wants out, and all indications are that he does, he's already ready to leave that on the table. I doubt another year changes his mind, and then he walks for nothing.
    As we saw, a lot can happen in a year. On the one hand you have exhibit A, Kawhi. On the other, though, is LMA who this time last year people were starting to crucify. A year later he really showed us something after his heart to heart with Pop. You never know with Leonard, and it would good to be able to have that DPO next summer to fend of other suiters if things get somewhat reconciled

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two best possible scenario for this situation are as follows.

Trade Kawhi for draft picks and young up and coming talent.

Sign him to super max and trade him for equal monetary value in contracts and draft picks. He will gut the next team he is with just to take that contract on The next team will have to give up between 40 and 50 million in contracts to get Kawhi, hard to do that without give up some quality.

My favorite option is to do the super-max and get a ton of draft picks and expiring contracts. I trust the Spurs leadership to find excellent players in the draft to rebuild.

The best part will be watching Kawhi flounder in a talent less team and the media crucify him for leaving a good thing for brighter lights.
    Spurs can’t trade Kawhi for one year from when he signs the SuperMax FYI>

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As we saw, a lot can happen in a year. On the one hand you have exhibit A, Kawhi. On the other, though, is LMA who this time last year people were starting to crucify. A year later he really showed us something after his heart to heart with Pop. You never know with Leonard, and it would good to be able to have that DPO next summer to fend of other suiters if things get somewhat reconciled
    Technically; yes. Sa can offer that again to Kawhi the following Summer*

*Kawhi would have to re-qualify which would be a big risk for him assuming his health.

So you have to ask yourself, why would Kawhi be ok with waiting? You could see why SA would want that since Kawhi hasn’t played all year, but Kawhi would not want to take the risk.

It’s going to come down to is he healthy and if SA is willing to offer him that SuperMax in light of him not only sitting out with his medical teams advice but with the “other” stuff going on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi wants to leave, you basically blow it up, get rid of anything that was here as a supporting cast member and start over.

Again, I'll say "if" Kawhi wants to leave, because I want him to stay loyal, just based on my image of his character. But if this is all a ploy to get traded, I hope he realizes he's single-handedly sinking the ship on one of the greatest franchises in sports. Not only did he ruin this season, but he's diminished his trade value so the Spurs will be taking significant steps back in terms of talent for the foreseeable future.

Spurs will be going from a guaranteed top 3 seed for the next several seasons to a potential lottery team. It will be a true test of the Spurs' front office to pull a rabbit out of their hats in this most extreme of situations.

But, yeah, Spurs go from perennial power to rebuilding mode in one fell swoop. If anyone wanted to know what things would have been like in San Antonio had Tim Duncan bolted for Orlando back in the day, we're about to find out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi wants to leave, you basically blow it up, get rid of anything that was here as a supporting cast member and start over.

Again, I'll say "if" Kawhi wants to leave, I hope he realizes he's single-handedly sinking the ship on one of the greatest franchises in sports. Not only did he ruin this season, but he's diminished his trade value so the Spurs will be taking significant steps back in terms of talent for the foreseeable future.

Spurs will be going from a guaranteed top 3 seed for the next several seasons to a potential lottery team. It will be a true test of the Spurs' front office to pull a rabbit out of their hats in this most extreme of situations.

But, yeah, Spurs go from perennial power to rebuilding mode in one fell swoop. If anyone wanted to know what things would have been like in San Antonio had Tim Duncan bolted for Orlando back in the day, we're about to find out.
    DUDE! Spurs without Kawhi this year, and with TP/Manu being really old, SA was TWO GAMES from being that 3rd seed you speak of.

Why would you blow that team up, even without Kawhi? You don’t think that with free agency, trades and the draft the team could get players to replace Kawhi that would have netted them 2+ more wins????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DUDE! Spurs without Kawhi this year, and with TP/Manu being really old, SA was TWO GAMES from being that 3rd seed you speak of.

Why would you blow that team up, even without Kawhi? You don’t think that with free agency, trades and the draft the team could get players to replace Kawhi that would have netted them 2+ more wins????
    I think my post was probably more based on my emotion about the Kawhi situation. It's frustrating to think about what might have been, this year and beyond, having Kawhi on the roster. That post was my equivalent of throwing the computer against the wall. I'll come down off the ledge..............

You're right, realistically the Spurs can stay compe ive (just perhaps not elite) if they do so with some careful planning. Which they historically have done very well, save for the Mills and Gasol contracts this year.

I just hate seeing my team get negatively affected by one of its own...especially when that guy has been one of my favorite Spurs players ever. The Spurs have overcome the hurdles that straddle almost every small market team, building a dynasty in a market that most thought couldn't sustain that sort of success.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that Kawhi stays a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure - it royally sucks on multiple levels. It would be one thing if it were just a bad luck injury missed opportunity. But now the face of your franchise comes with a bunch of stinking baggage too? That’s a lot to deal with as a team and fans and it came out of no where.

I’m hopeful kawhi will be a Spur. It makes too much sense for them to not work it out. But Kawhi has some mending to do and maybe less so if Manu/TP are gone. But there will always be doubt now.

The best analogy I can think of with the Spurs/Kawhi situation is when a spouse cheats. Everyone reacts differently to that; but the act is the same.

Sometimes it’s immediate divorce. Sometimes people go to therapy and try and work it out.

Kawhi has “cheated” - the key will be how they react to this and if they are willing to work it out. In this case, there are so many more reasons on the surface to work it out than not. But even those that do work it out, there will always be that seed planted in the back of your mind. It’s impossible to fully forget even if you forgive. Kawhi has some making up to do and trust to be won back with the team, management and the fans.

We will see though.

Thread Information